Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Copyright question   Administrative Issues

Started by YWN666; 1134 views.
YWN666

1/30/14

So a quote needs to be just long enough to give the reader the gist of the article?
In reply toRe: msg 3
RCBZ

1/30/14

This has been discussed for over a decade and from what I remember it's 1-2 paragraphs then the link. An entire article is a no no
RCBZ

1/30/14

Do a search here on copyright law and you'll find a ton of stuff.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/hosts/messages/?msg=25234.2

In reply toRe: msg 4
WaltHowe

1/30/14

There is no specified amount that is OK to quote in Fair Use law. There are multiple considerations in addition to length in determining what is appropriate. Two paragraphs might be OK in a 5-page article, but not in a four paragraph source. In one court case a short quote from a Gerald Ford book was deemed inappropriate, because it disclosed sensational information and affected the marketability of the book.

RCBZ

1/30/14

I agree, I just recall the discussions over the years about it and that was kinda what was deemed the "rule of thumb". But, common sense has to come into play as well. There's a ton of threads in here that I read rather than ask a question because most of the time it's already been answered...
Glen (GEAATL)

1/30/14

>>>So a quote needs to be just long enough to give the reader the gist of the article?

Exactly. What's appropriate depends on context, length of the story, etc. A 25 word quote of a 50 word article might infringe. A 50 word quote of a 5000 word article doesn't. Think SHORT. Short plus a link is a good rule. We do a lot of such quotes in my forum. Many if not most are a few sentences (or less). Very few are longer.

YWN666

1/30/14

Thanks for the info.
In reply toRe: msg 9
And a recipe can be copied, with the link of the recipe source if I'm not mistaken.
WaltHowe
Staff

2/9/14

I believe there is some case law on recipes. If it is a simple list of ingredients and instructions with no original comments, it is probably OK under copyright law to copy it. The link back to the original is a courtesy. But if there is originality in the comments, I would err on the side of caution and get permission before copying.

Glen (GEAATL)

2/9/14

Here's the definitive answer, from the U.S. Copyright Office itself:

"Copyright law does not protect recipes that are mere listings of ingredients. Nor does it protect other mere listings of ingredients such as those found in formulas, compounds, or prescriptions. Copyright protection may, however, extend to substantial literary expression—a description, explanation, or illustration, for example—that accompanies a recipe or formula or to a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook. Only original works of authorship are protected by copyright. “Original” means that an author produced a work by his or her own intellectual effort instead of copying it from an existing work."

Source: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html (note: items from US federal agencies are also not copyrighted)