Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Getting Started with Live Stories   Premium Forums

Started 8/18/15 by Cstar1; 2446 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
Cstar1
Staff

8/18/15

You'll be presented with your Settings screen. Fill in the name of your story (the default is the name of your forum) which will be your thread or Story title, and it will show in the left frame of your forum.

Fill in the description - this is your Story. It can be a sentence like I use in Tame the Chaos, or a whole paragraph like I've used in Galaxies. Don't worry if it's not exactly correct, you can edit it at any time.

For your first story, choose something that you know is very popular and talked-about on Twitter. That makes it easier to find content that you want to tell a story about.

Once you have your title & description, set the story state from Disabled to Active. 

Then set up your hashtags. The default for the outbound hashtag (goes on all your tweets) is the forum webtag. You'll probably want to change this to whatever is going to attract people to your tweets. You don't have to do outbound tweets, but that's part of the point of this, to bring in new people. If you're doing a story on the Oscars, you'd use #oscars as the hashtag for example, or if you were doing one on a TV show, you'd use #NCIS or #DWTS etc. 

You can change your hashtag(s) and @'s at any time when your story is live. I've adjusted mine many times, refining the types of tweets I want to see coming into my feed.

• Edited August 18, 2015 10:23 am  by  Cstar1
In reply toRe: msg 2
Cstar1
Staff

8/18/15

After you set up that first Live Story, you'll be asked to link your Twitter account. If you do choose the wrong account, or if you decide later to revoke permissions or change, there's a little gear at the top of the console next to your name, where you can make changes. 

Next, you'll be presented with the Live Story console. It may take a few minutes for any content to start appearing. Because I put in a pretty large list of inbound hashtags, this one filled up pretty quickly. 

Click on the blue refresh button, and the inbound tweets will start to appear.

Click on the pencil icon to select a tweet to go into your Story.

You'll get a chance to decide after you see it whether you want to use it or not, so go ahead & try it out. 

When you're running a story, you can stay in the console the whole time, or go in and out. You can run a story for an hour, a day, or a few weeks - all depends on the type of story it is. Most events are pretty short, but I ran one story for about 4 weeks. There is a character limit to how long a story can be, so remember that these are meant for short term events, not long-term threads. 

You can add comments right from the console, even answer people when they make comments.

Since you can only do one story at a time, you have to decide how much time you want to devote to each one. Once you close a story, you can't reopen it.

Stories run in reverse chronological order, with the newest entry at the top - much like live blogging or live tweeting does. BUT... once you decide to end the story and save it, a pretty cool thing happens. The story reverses order, and is presented with your first entries at the top, and last entries at the bottom. Comments are closed at that time AND a new regular forum discussion thread is created using your original story description, and linking to the story.

This gives your forum a chance to continue to discuss the subject if they have more to say. 

In addition to Tweets, you can insert articles by using the URL for a webpage (just like the embed feature in regular discussions), YouTube or Vimeo videos, sound content like from Soundcloud, etc. You can also just type out text. For media content, don't use the "embed code", just use the URL. 

If you choose to publish a comment to Twitter, it will retweet the original, and then link to your story like this:

Here's one of the really cool things - if you have a longer comment to make, it will take a snapshot of that comment, and publish it as a picture on Twitter. You might have seen similar things popping up on Twitter.

• Edited August 18, 2015 10:17 am  by  Cstar1
In reply toRe: msg 3
Cstar1
Staff

8/18/15

Your Live Story will look like this in the forum:

Click on the gear icon to be taken directly to your Live Story Console in Controls. Click the megaphone to create a promo for your Live Story. Click on the > share button to share your story to Facebook, Google+, Twitter or email.

If you need to delete an item in your story for any reason, you can Edit it after it's closed by clicking on the Story title, then on the Edit button.

You can also delete the entire Story by using the Delete button at the bottom of the Edit screen.

In reply toRe: msg 4
Cstar1
Staff

8/18/15

To remove an item while the story is live, click on the x in the lower left corner of the item in the Live Story Console.

To edit an item (it must be one that you posted a message on) click on the pencil icon.

In reply toRe: msg 5
Cstar1
Staff

8/18/15

To promote your Live Story, click on the bullhorn icon either on the Live Story header in the forum, or in your Console.

You'll be creating a Web Article promo, which will be distributed throughout Delphi.

If you want to give someone the link to your Live Story, or create an announcement, use the Permalink that's shown just above your Live Story title in the Console.

The format for LS links is: http://forums.delphiforums.com/webtag/stories/storytitle

In reply toRe: msg 6
Cstar1
Staff

8/18/15

Along with your Live Stories, there's a new widget that appears in your right column, at the very top, called Live Stream.

In Customization & Design, under Sidebar Widgets, there's a control for the Live Stream Display. Mark the box if you want the Live Stream widget to show in your sidebar.

This feature shows when discussions have been posted to, when someone has commented on a Live Story, as well as displaying when you've received new PM's. (Only you will see that notice of your PM's,) and who's entered or left your chat room.

• Edited August 19, 2015 6:31 am  by  Cstar1
In reply toRe: msg 7
Cstar1
Staff

8/18/15

Once a Live Story has run its course, you'll close the story in your Live Story Console. 

Choose the file save icon.

When you close the story, comments are closed, and the entire story flips chronologically, so the oldest entry will be first, just like regular forum threads. The now-archived story will continue to be available in your Story folder, as long as you've selected that option in your Control Center.

A new thread is created to give you the opportunity to continue the conversation, with a link to the Story, which is now in an archived state. Click on the "View Article" link to see it.

If it's not a thread you're planning on continuing, send it to your Staff Folder, or simply delete it once it's posted.

In reply toRe: msg 8
Janet Wickell (janma)

8/21/15

My console doesn 't display any way to edit a story. I entered a test thinking I'd take it down rather quickly, but now I cannot. It remains visible even though I've also unchecked the option for live stories.

Click on the Story on your forum (not in controls) and look for the pencil icon in the upper right. That will pull it up in the editor and you can delete from there (at the bottom)

Does that work?

Janet Wickell (janma)

8/21/15

Kid (Kidmagnet) said:

Click on the Story on your forum (not in controls) and look for the pencil icon in the upper right. That will pull it up in the editor and you can delete from there (at the bottom) Does that work?

Thank you for the response. There's no pencil icon.

There's an icon for share, promote, a third that goes to the console.