Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Redirect to viglink.com   Technical Issues /Bugs

Started 3/15/17 by Knotpicky (RUTA); 16057 views.
Knotpicky (RUTA)

3/25/17

I've noticed some of the news sites don't let you copy any text from articles. In Firefox there's a button in the address box to view the page in "reader" mode, and then I can copy text. Other times, when that button isn't in the address box, I've gone to source code and copied from there. But as you said, it's tedious, whether you copy/paste the source code into a post or paste into a text editor and strip the HTML so you can past the plain text into a post (my preference).

Glen (GEAATL)

3/26/17

As you note a catch to your method is image sizing, and pasting images plus articles also comes with the risk of copyright violation (how much copying goes beyond fair use?).  A flaw I get lately in my pasting is many sites are using more and more coding to change text sizing, fonts, etc so one can end up with mouse type or giant type that absent good html skills is hard to change.

The good thing is we have these tricks - the bad is that they all take time, and each has some flaw, be it to potential copyright, sizing and spacing, zeta vs classic, viglinks, etc.

Having said that, it's good that we're sharing the possibilities, as hosts and members at least have tricks to try.

Glen (GEAATL) said:

As you note a catch to your method is image sizing,

But it only takes me a minute if I'm posting it that way on Classic (just used to doing it)

Glen (GEAATL) said:

with the risk of copyright violation (how much copying goes beyond fair use?)

The snippits are part of the sites Share features.

Glen (GEAATL) said:

A flaw I get lately in my pasting is many sites are using more and more coding to change text sizing, fonts, etc so one can end up with mouse type or giant type that absent good html skills is hard to change.

If I have to copy from a site I use the Extended Copy Menu (a Firefox Extension) to copy as plain text and add a link ot the page. I can apply my own bells and whistles after pasting it in plain text if I choose.

In reply toRe: msg 8
EdGlaze

3/26/17

An option to bypass the vigilinks is to paste the excerpt in Source mode rather than HTML so the links are not transferred — some additional HTML editing may be required to indicate paragraph breaks <P> and </P>.

It is a good idea to preview an excerpt's underlying HTML after copying text and before posting.

Glen (GEAATL)

3/26/17

Who's on first? (Kidmagnet) said...

Glen (GEAATL) said:

with the risk of copyright violation (how much copying goes beyond fair use?)

The snippits are part of the sites Share features.

Important legal point - the fact a site has a share feature doesn't mean everything can be shared everywhere (an interesting legal question is the share feature often allows things that the site's own terms of use prohibit, and seeing how a court ultimately sorts that out will be interesting).   Forwarding the item in email maybe legally different than sharing that same snippet in a forum.  (It's still a murky area of evolving law).    And there do remain distinctions between text, graphics, photos, charts, analysis, etc as you read the case law.   It's probably safe, but a careful forum host may not want to assume legal risks.    

Glen (GEAATL)

3/26/17

EdGlaze said...

It is a good idea to preview an excerpt's underlying HTML after copying text and before posting.

I've learned that lesson the hard way, and have learned that when I get in a rush and don't, I'm very likely to be fixing a post later.

That does not bypass the Delphi viglinks program but it certainly will strip the message of extraneous HTML.

I know if I follow links in certain newsletters from my email to the webpage the address bar contains a lot more than the article's basic address. 

So pasting it in plain and adding the link via whatever is in the address bar might recreate the same problem. 

I have to actually go to the site with my browser and search for the story before Sharing.  

I recommend using a website's Share features over copying and pasting directly. 

We are drifting from the original issue before the poor forum owner comes in lol. 

EdGlaze

3/26/17

Usually Vigilinks are not a specific link included by the source author but are product links added later, thus it doesn't matter if they don't transfer when posting in Source mode.

I've never noticed any Vigilinks originating from Delphiforums, only from other sources, usually the second-hand repostings of an article where the links were not in the original news source.

It's happening here too

http://forums.delphiforums.com/campfires1/messages/?msg=71767.1

At first clicking on the links in that thread (there are three) took me to the proper pages but after a second time they go to the viglink page. The embedded address is regular. I switch my view of that Classic forum to Zeta and the links lead where they should. 

https://www.thriftbooks.com/b/most-popular-books-by-state/

Lets try this too