Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Viewing Zeta as Classic   Technical Issues /Bugs

Started Feb-11 by RedBV; 410 views.
Kid (Kidmagnet)

Feb-11

You are very helpful and it is appreciated!

RedBV

Feb-11

Much better post, thank you . . . it is what am more accustomed coming from ya . . .

In general agree that Delphi has leaned heavily toward what a Host wants, but that has not always been the case . . . and as a Host have been on the receiving end of that . . .

You indicate a non loss of members due to forcing zeta only viewing . . . that may well be the case for you personally . . . however, there are threads here that show otherwise . . . threads that you've taken part in . . . the point being - you know that your personal experience is not Delphi wide . . .

Delphi gives you choices and its not promising you things will never change or Classic will never go away because the online world progresses at a fast rate and Classic may not work down the road. But yes, they did a complete about face early in the public Zeta Beta testing and allowed the Classic view to remain.

Which is what I've addressed from the get go . . .

As to the chat function - am well aware of the problems that existed for a number of years now . . . one of the reasons why didn't bother to use chat . . . and like many posters have been in contact with, they weren't interested in doing chat anyway . . . why . . . when there are more than a few folks in the room it becomes cumbersome to keep up with all that is being said . . .

About the only time have used it, was to see if it appeared to be a factor in play for forum rankings . . . anyway, over the years a number of folks offered various chat apps they liked and had good experience with . . . the point being - chat, as indicated, has been a problem for years . . . and do think it was a good move for Delphi to finally set up a chat feature that works . . . and it would have been a very bad move to only offer it to zeta folks . . .

As to the rumors you bring up about the immediate or the like demise of Classic, I don't happen to be one of them . . . however, in a like manner I don't appreciate the more or less "to bad so sad" attitude of some toward folks who prefer Classic to zeta . . . and that is how it comes across . . .

As to helping folks - happen to do that and will continue to do it (as some recent threads can attest). . . but that will not stop me from voicing my opinion of the move toward zeta . . . I look at it along the lines of what Glen has pointed out since the obvious kickback toward zeta began . . . i.e look and feel . . . that it likely would have been better if Delphi would have kept the look and feel of Classic in the zeta format . . . and allow Hosts to determine what features they wanted for their forums . . . i.e. some folks would have stayed with the look and feel of Classic . . . while others would have jumped on all the bells and whistles that came along and were available . . .

As an analogy (perhaps poor or not) - a person heats their home with wood . . . older folks might like using twigs, etc., to build their fire, then some larger twigs after it gets going, etc. . . . while others think "fire starters" are the best thing since sliced bread - don't have to have a tinder box, hunt for tinder, etc., etc. . . . just lay down a few pieces of smaller wood, light a few fire starters, and then put on some larger pieces of wood . . . 

The point being - the wood stove could care less how the fire is started . . . and more or less the same could have been done with zeta . . . a single platform with the look and feel of Classic . . . and for those who want ta play with the bells and whistles, they are there for them to play with . . . not unlike those folks who wanted ta tinker with HTML/CSS, etc. . . .

As to the latter above - not unlike what is done with web site composing . . . one wants ta play with the coding themselves, have at it . . . or we also have many many apps that all ya need do is insert them and wala turn key web site in a few minutes . . . 

Anyway . . .

RedBV

Feb-11

There ya go with the dismissive attitude once again . . . in the other thread I addressed the issue of your claim and gave an example of why your claim doesn't hold up . . . which anyone can see by reading the thread . . . 

Given that the example given was something I was recently asked about, again . . . decided to also ask in a specific thread about it . . . thus not addressing the post or thread to you . . . 

What seems to be the problem with doing so . . . are Hosts allowed to ask questions or not . . .