Okay, here is the recipe I found and I've marked "adjustments". I made these today and I really, really liked them. They are not Bush's but were good to my taste. I think a lot depends on the barbecue sauce you use.
16 ounces dry navy or pinto beans (or Northern) (I used Northern. I think I would like smaller beans better but could only get the N but they were good.)
8 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
8 slices bacon
1 yellow onion , finely chopped
½ red or green bell pepper , cored, seeded, and finely chopped
2/3 cup barbecue sauce store-bought or homemade
1/2 cup ketchup
2 Tablespoons spicy brown mustard
¼ cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon liquid smoke (I left this out on purpose. The bacon had enough smoky flavor. I don't like the smoke flavor.)
½ cup light brown sugar (I used this. You might want less.)
½ cup water
- Add beans, water and salt (I didn't add the salt here. I mixed it in with the other ingredients.) to instant pot. Cook on manual (high pressure) for 25 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release.
- Remove lid and pour beans into a colander/strainer. Rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Set Instant Pot to saute setting. Add bacon and saute for a few minutes until it starts to get golden brown, tossing and scraping down the bottom of the pot often. Drain some of the grease.
- Add bell pepper and onion and cook until tender.
- Turn IP off. Add bbq sauce, ketchup, mustard, vinegar and liquid smoke to the pot and stir well to combine.
- Add brown sugar, water and beans and stir to combine.
- Secure IP lid, close steam valve and cook on Manual (high pressure) for 15 minutes. Natural release the pressure.
Carefully open lid, and gently stir mixture to combine.
I did get the "BURN" thing twice. Once after I mixed everything for the last cook and one at the end. It didn't burn.
I will be making these again!!