Misc Recipes Instant Pot -  Homemade Baked Beans n The Instant Pot (137 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 13) 

About a month ago I saw a recipe for Beans, "Taste as good as Bush's".  This was an Instant Pot recipe and it called for dry beans (A choice of kinds although I think the writer said she used navy???)  Anyway, I thought I'd saved that recipe but if I did, I sure can't find it.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?  I've seen a couple of near identical recipes but they weren't it.  I know I'm getting old but I can't for the life of me figure out where I saw that and I've done a lot of checking!

CATS

To: Cats (NancyMI)  (2 of 13) 
 613.2 in reply to 613.1 

I've looked around online and can't find what you're looking for. So irritating to lose a recipe. :(

Reply   Options 

To: Marcia (MarciaM12)  (3 of 13) 
 613.3 in reply to 613.2 

Thanks so much.  I've also looked.  I may have found it- well, it seems to have some of the main ingredients I remember but it has no mention of the Bush's that made me look at it in the first place.  Again, she might have been warned NOT to use that name for fear of a lawsuit.

Again, thanks.

CATS

To: Cats (NancyMI)  (4 of 13) 
 613.4 in reply to 613.3 

I hope you did find the recipe. It's possible Bush's warned the blogger though there is no copyright on lists of ingredients. It can extend to descriptions, explanations, etc. Most don't bother to sue. Recipes are pretty much fair game but a threat is always possible.

To: Marcia (MarciaM12)  (5 of 13) 
 613.5 in reply to 613.4 

Okay, here is the recipe I found and I've marked "adjustments".  I made these today and I really, really liked them. They are not Bush's but were good to my taste.  I think a lot depends on the barbecue sauce you use.

BAKED BEANS

16 ounces dry navy or pinto beans (or Northern) (I used Northern.  I think I would like smaller beans better but could only get the N but they were good.)

8 cups water

1 teaspoon salt

8 slices bacon

1 yellow onion , finely chopped

½  red or green bell pepper , cored, seeded, and finely chopped

2/3 cup barbecue sauce store-bought or homemade

1/2 cup ketchup

2 Tablespoons spicy brown mustard

¼ cup cider vinegar

1 teaspoon liquid smoke  (I left this out on purpose.  The bacon had enough smoky flavor.  I don't like the smoke flavor.)

½ cup light brown sugar  (I used this.  You might want less.)

½ cup water

1. Add beans, water and salt (I didn't add the salt here.  I mixed it in with the other ingredients.) to instant pot. Cook on manual (high pressure) for 25 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release.
  2. Remove lid and pour beans into a colander/strainer. Rinse with cold water. Set aside.
  3. Set Instant Pot to saute setting. Add bacon and saute for a few minutes until it starts to get golden brown, tossing and scraping down the bottom of the pot often. Drain some of the grease. 
  4. Add bell pepper and onion and cook until tender.
  5. Turn IP off. Add bbq sauce, ketchup, mustard, vinegar and liquid smoke to the pot and stir well to combine.
  6. Add brown sugar, water and beans and stir to combine.
  7. Secure IP lid, close steam valve and cook on Manual (high pressure) for 15 minutes. Natural release the pressure.

Carefully open lid, and gently stir mixture to combine.

I did get the "BURN" thing twice.  Once after I mixed everything for the last cook and one at the end.  It didn't burn.

I will be making these again!!

CATS

To: Cats (NancyMI)  (6 of 13) 
 613.6 in reply to 613.5 

It's great that you found the recipe and liked it with adjustments. It sounds good to me.

So navy beans might be your preference. Did you use the BBQ sauce linked in the recipe or a ready-made one?

From: ~BootsInstantPotKitchen~ (FancyBoots) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-17 11:54 PM 
To: Cats (NancyMI)  (7 of 13) 
 613.7 in reply to 613.5 

Hi Nancy,

So glad that you found your recipe.  I changed the title of your post a bit & included the recipe in the Misc. Instant Pot Recipes.

Thanks for posting it!

Message 8 of 13 was Deleted  

To: Marcia (MarciaM12)  (9 of 13) 
 613.9 in reply to 613.6 

I used part of a bottle that has been in my fridge for a long time.  It was a gourmet gift.  I doubt I could ever find it again and knowing how old that was I doubted I would need to.  I planned on using Baby Ray's (I think that is right.  I like the taste.)  I admit I usually make my own.

CATS

From: ~BootsInstantPotKitchen~ (FancyBoots) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-18 8:49 PM 
To: Cats (NancyMI)  (10 of 13) 
 613.10 in reply to 613.9 

I think the Sweet Baby Ray's is the best one can buy.  I've made homemade before, but that was a long time ago.  smile

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-13
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.