EL ROBO -¥ (RGIORDANO)

Italian Culture

Hosted by EL ROBO -¥ (RGIORDANO)

This forum is for all those who love Italy and its wonderful culture

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

We've got the Euro   News

Started by Kyle (AB_ITLNFOOD); 254 views.
Kyle (AB_ITLNFOOD)

1/3/02

Well, the new currancy has come, and it seems to be working. Takes longer to apy for things now, however, because people have yet to learn the coinage.
It'll be nice to be able to cross Europe without currency exchanges!
Rob (robros)

1/3/02

One curious thing:
It seems that the 2 euro coin is identical in shape and weight to a Thailand coin that's worth one-tenth of it.
Automatic dispensers will have a hard time distinguishing these two coins, so theoretically one could change Euros to Thailand coins and offer cappuccinos to everybody at work for a long time :P
Kyle (AB_ITLNFOOD)

1/3/02

I'm sure they've thought of that... the counterfitters, that is. The 1 Euro coin looks rather like an Italian 500 lira coin, worth a quarter as much. And the 2 Euro coin resembles a thousand lira coin... They're saying "look at the change you get!"
Bruno (BRUNOCOSSI)

1/3/02

Well, it is not only about resemblance... in fact not at all. It is about size, shape and very importantly weight.
I would not be surprised if they did not think of that... it happened every single time when there was change of currency.

Bruno

CFASSIO

1/4/02

Hey Kyle, Cuba adopted it too so we can go there without the hassle too.

Now if only England and Denmark (have family in both places) would get on the bandwagon I may never need to change money again.

Cristina

Kyle (AB_ITLNFOOD)

1/5/02

Cuba has adopted the Euro? Cool! Are we (US citizens) allowed to go there? My brother in law went and said it's beautiful but sad -- he had hopeful girls hanging onto him from when he got off the plane.

Can't see the US adopting it any time soon, however.

CFASSIO

1/6/02

Yep, we can go as long as we fly from Italy. My brother in law is going next week. I am looking forward to finally getting there but with 2 toddlers, well you know :-) But man, lobster for $2, can't beat that.

Speaking of new babies, if you guys need anything I have girl clothes galore that are all in boxes now. Let me know if you are interested. Lots of stuff from Carters, Old Navy and The Gap (yes my children dress like Americans sometimes. I also have all the regular stuff like car seats, strollers, etc. Don't know if you kept it all from when your son was little.

Cristina

In reply toRe: msg 8
gmereann

1/6/02

I've got mine too, let's hope the economy gets much better now...

AUGURI!!!! :-)

Kyle (AB_ITLNFOOD)

1/6/02

Thanks so much for the offer! We kept all the big stuff like car seats, high chairs & baby beds, but betty gave most of R's clothes to an unwed mother who worked in the hospital where she was. So we may well take you up on the clothing offer. Is it as cold in Siena as it is here?