Faith Issues,News & Religions -  Can Cleveland Family Forgive Murderer? (259 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/18/17 10:54 AM 
To: All  (1 of 18) 

Family of Man Killed in Facebook Live Video Extends Forgiveness to Murderer

Veronica Neffinger Editor, ChristianHeadlines.com | Tuesday, April 18, 2017

The family of a man killed in a video live-streamed to Facebook has asked the murderer to turn himself in, but also extended forgiveness to him.

In an interview with CNN, the Godwin family spoke with CNN news anchor Anderson Cooper about the tragic death of Robert Godwin Sr.

Godwin’s murder was streamed live on Facebook by the killer, Steve Stephens, who murdered the 74-year-old Godwin in Cleveland, Ohio on Easter Sunday.

Police are currently searching for Stephens and have warned residents in the states of Pennsylvania, New York, Indiana, and Michigan to be on the lookout for him.

In the interview, Cooper asked the Godwin family what they would say to Stephens if given the chance to speak to him.

“I would say turn yourself in, that would be number one,” said Debbie Godwin, Robert Godwin’s daughter. “I mean because although I do believe in forgiveness, I do believe in the law, meaning, when you break the law, there’s a penalty for breaking the law. And this man broke the law by taking my father’s life.”

She continued: “And so although I forgive him, there is still a penalty that he must pay for what he did to my dad. And so I would want him to turn himself in. And you know what, I believe that God would give me the grace to even embrace this man. And hug him.”

Not only did Debbie Godwin extend forgiveness to her father’s killer, but, with other family members nodding their heads in agreement, she said she also wants Stephens to know that despite what he did, there is hope for him if he turns to God.

“And so, I just would want him to know that even in his worst state, he’s loved, you know, by God, that God loves him, even in the bad stuff that he did to my dad. That he’s still loved. And that he has some worth while, even though he’s gonna have to go through many things to get better, there’s worth in him.”

• The family of a man killed in a video live-streamed to Facebook has asked the murderer to turn himself in, but also extended forgiveness to him
...[Message truncated]

• Edited April 18, 2017 10:56 am  by  Bob (Bobbylee7)

Reply   Options 

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/18/17 1:12 PM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 18) 
 37388.2 in reply to 37388.1 

I cringed when I heard some of the family said they forgave him. He wasn't sorry what he did. He wanted to kill more people. Now, he's even killed himself as his final act of evil. 

Psalm119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path"

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/18/17 2:03 PM 
To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 18) 
 37388.3 in reply to 37388.2 

Now, he's even killed himself as his final act of evil.

bob>He claimed to have killed a dozen or more before this, but it's his girlfriends fault... he's a victom... how sick, the problem is, he may have not been crazy, he could be a sociopath, one doesn't have to be crazy to kill, even for no reason. I think he used facebook to be a star, it may be the only way he had to become famous. 

From: everything_IS_a_TRUTHetest (lenbenheart)4/19/17 2:38 AM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 18) 
 37388.4 in reply to 37388.3 

yeah. famous like Hitler, Stalin, and Jack the Ripper.

I'm sure he went to his just reward.

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/19/17 9:05 AM 
To: everything_IS_a_TRUTHetest (lenbenheart)  (5 of 18) 
 37388.5 in reply to 37388.4 

yeah. famous like Hitler, Stalin, and Jack the Ripper.

I'm sure he went to his just reward.

bob>But the family forgave him

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon4/22/17 7:02 PM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 18) 
 37388.6 in reply to 37388.1 

ANYONE can forgive any person offending.  Does that mean it is a valid forgiveness?  I think not.

I really dislike blanket amnesty forgiveness of any and all.  Are you GOD?

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/23/17 5:12 PM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 18) 
 37388.7 in reply to 37388.6 

ANYONE can forgive any person offending. 

bob>Except you can't. Forgiveness means the person admits they sinned, repent of it and seek/ask to be forgiven. To just say "I forgive you" without "you" ever seeking it doesn't do anything. Forgiveness is "issued" upon those who don't want it, as if it actually gives them something, it doesn't. It's way past time for Christians to get a idea of what forgiveness means and the requirements it has. 

Does that mean it is a valid forgiveness?  I think not.

bob>I think not along with you. 

I really dislike blanket amnesty forgiveness of any and all.  Are you GOD?

bob>Great point! If we do forgive someone of murdering someone we love, it doesn't release them of the sin or the punishment, we can't forgive something done to someone else. I think the RCC has a real problem with this. If someone robs someone and they go to the police, the priest is not to tell the police or the person robbed who did it. The priest does not tell them to replace the items/money or pay restitution or take the punishment for their crime. He will give them some things to say and that's it as far as I know. Am I right? They also act like the can issue forgiveness of sins as if they were acting on behalf of Christ, they aren't. 

• Edited April 23, 2017 5:13 pm  by  Bob (Bobbylee7)

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 18) 
 37388.8 in reply to 37388.7 

But forgiveness isn't JUST about the offender.  If we can't find it in our hearts to forgive another who has wronged us, or those we love, how are we ever to be worthy of forgiveness ourselves?  How are we to learn to let go of that which is harmful to ourselves?  Holding on to hate, or anger, or resentment - all of that darkness?  Even if it doesn't absolve the offender, even if they don't seek forgiveness or are contrite, we must find it in our own hearts to be forgiving.

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 18) 
 37388.9 in reply to 37388.7 

Forgiveness isn't about the offender at all. It is about YOU. Forgiveness can happen whether the offender ever accepts that forgiveness or not or whether they are even SORRY or not. Forgiveness means I no longer hold bitterness in MY heart towards that person. It means I forego my desire for vengeance. It means I let go of my resentment.

Forgiving someone who has wronged you doesn't free THEM...it frees YOU!

Forgiveness does not affect the offender unless they are truly repentant and ACCEPT that forgiveness. But on YOUR side of things, you no longer carry the burden of resentment, bitterness, and wrath around with you.

Forgiveness FREES YOU more than it frees the offender.

Secundus 

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/25/17 8:36 AM 
To: Shep Major (CCDEV102)  (10 of 18) 
 37388.10 in reply to 37388.8 

But forgiveness isn't JUST about the offender.  If we can't find it in our hearts to forgive another who has wronged us, or those we love, how are we ever to be worthy of forgiveness ourselves?  How are we to learn to let go of that which is harmful to ourselves?  Holding on to hate, or anger, or resentment - all of that darkness?  Even if it doesn't absolve the offender, even if they don't seek forgiveness or are contrite, we must find it in our own hearts to be forgiving.

bob>Hi, great point! Christians are told one of or the main teaching of His was forgiveness, but they don't know how. First we need to realize Christ was/is a Jew, He was/is the Jewish King, the Jewish High Priest, the Jewish Messiah and His teachings were to the Jews. Did I loose you already? His forgiveness teaching is clear in his teaching of Peter, Matt 18:22, Peter proudly says he will forgiven someone 7 times in a day, Christ corrects Peter saying He would forgive 70 x 7. The laws of Moses, which Christ and the apostles and the Jewish people followed, says when a Jew realizes he sinned against another, he was to go to that person and ask to be forgiven, and if that Jew, after three attemps to gain forgiveness from that person did not get it, he then went to the priests and they prayed to God and the man was forgiven, even when the person sinned against did not forgive him.The laws of Moses DO NOT SAY you have to forgive when it's sought or asked. Peter I will forgive that person who sinned agasint me 7 times in one day, which is a lot and he far exceeds Jewish laws/instructions on the subject. Christ goes much further by saying  70x7, and to forgive the first time it's sought. That's the big change Christ made in the Jewish understanding of how and when to forgive, but we must forgive.

• Edited April 25, 2017 8:49 am  by  Bob (Bobbylee7)

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-18
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.