People & Current News -  Who Were You In The Summer Of Love 1967? (425 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-30 9:26 AM 
To: All  (1 of 39) 

1967 was called the "Summer of Love" a better name may have been the "Summer of Drugs and other immoral things" the Hippy movement started as Viet Nam rocked on. It was a strange time in America and Sargent Pepper's provided the psychedelic drug music that was a big part of the movement. If you were at the corner of Haight and Ashbuy in San Francisco you were STONED out of your mind. So, who and where were you in the Summer of 1967?

Reply   Options 

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-30 10:21 AM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 39) 
 37586.2 in reply to 37586.1 

I was a 19 year old married and had my first baby and in my home town of Akron. No drugs ever for me.  Where were you?

Psalm119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path"

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-30 10:40 AM 
To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 39) 
 37586.3 in reply to 37586.2 

I was a 19 year old married and had my first baby and in my home town of Akron. No drugs ever for me.  Where were you?

bob>I just graduated High School and was working to get ready for college nearby, I was never into drugs or "Turn On, Tune In and Drop Out" I considered the "Peace/Love and Counterculture" movement to be drug induced, immature, immoral and complete BS. Other than that, I liked it. Haha. Without drugs none of this would have happened. The US government was doing real evil in Viet Nam and our guys couldn't have fought any harder or sacrificed more for our nation. I have friends who didn't come back and others who still suffer from their time there. I think a better name for that "movement" would have been "Tune In, Drop Out and THROW UP" Some people got into the drugs and never got off. 

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-30 11:12 AM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 39) 
 37586.4 in reply to 37586.3 

bob>I just graduated High School and was working to get ready for college nearby, I was never into drugs or "Turn On, Tune In and Drop Out" I considered the "Peace/Love and Counterculture" movement to be drug induced, immature, immoral and complete BS. Other than that, I liked it. Haha. Without drugs none of this would have happened. The US government was doing real evil in Viet Nam and our guys couldn't have fought any harder or sacrificed more for our nation. I have friends who didn't come back and others who still suffer from their time there. I think a better name for that "movement" would have been "Tune In, Drop Out and THROW UP" Some people got into the drugs and never got off.

Ginger>I have two brothers who served in Vietnam Nam-- an older half brother who was in the navy and died at the age of 35 in 1979 from liver cancer. I think he was exposed to agent orange when they sprayed the Vietnamese in the jungles. My year younger brother served in the Air Force in Vietnam. He was wounded while there. My parents divorced when he was there and I think he had a nervous breakdown.  Although he married and had a daughter when he came home, he distanced himself from the family. I think he met a Vietnamese girl while there in Vietnam and had a son by her.  He's just never been right since he came back from there. 

Drugs have just continued to get worse in this country. There were 18 people who died from opioids this past weekend alone in Summit county where I grew up. The coroner ran out of room and had to bring in a temporary truck for a morgue. How awful is that!

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconJun-30 11:22 AM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 39) 
 37586.5 in reply to 37586.1 

24 years old, Ensign, recently commissioned from Enlisted Status, USCG on my second Arctic trip.

From June to October that year, I was on Arctic Support Operations in support of DEW line and Wood's Hole (or other establishment) ocean and sedimentary research, very exciting, shoving icebergs and bergy bits to get where we were going..

Actually was very interesting and something no amount of money could duplicate.  Lunching in Eskimo housing somewhere above Thule, walking through Eskimo burial sites (cairns, cannot dig there), and more as we traveled the Baffin Bay and SE Greenlandic areas.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

• Edited June 30, 2017 11:24 am  by  Bike (URALTOURIST1)

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-30 11:27 AM 
To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 39) 
 37586.6 in reply to 37586.4 

Ginger>I have two brothers who served in Vietnam Nam-- an older half brother who was in the navy and died at the age of 35 in 1979 from liver cancer. I think he was exposed to agent orange when they sprayed the Vietnamese in the jungles. My year younger brother served in the Air Force in Vietnam. He was wounded while there. My parents divorced when he was there and I think he had a nervous breakdown.  Although he married and had a daughter when he came home, he distanced himself from the family. I think he met a Vietnamese girl while there in Vietnam and had a son by her.  He's just never been right since he came back from there. 

bob>It was a horrible kind of war. In WWII you knew who the enemy was, you knew if you were at the front and to be ready to fight, In Nam, anyone could be the enemy, had to be ready 214/7  all year and when your time was up, you fly right home where you were abused for doing what your nation asked you to do. Many got on drugs there and it ruined their lives. PTSD is common, an old marine friend of mine didn't get PTSD help untill he was 67 years old. His life was a mess, but he did get better. 

Drugs have just continued to get worse in this country. There were 18 people who died from opioids this past weekend alone in Summit county where I grew up. The coroner ran out of room and had to bring in a temporary truck for a morgue. How awful is that!

bob>We don't need a border...tell them that. 

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-30 11:29 AM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 39) 
 37586.7 in reply to 37586.5 

24 years old, Ensign, recently commissioned from Enlisted Status, USCG on my second Arctic trip.

From June to October that year, I was on Arctic Support Operations in support of DEW line and Wood's Hole (or other establishment) ocean and sedimentary research, very exciting, shoving icebergs and bergy bits to get where we were going..

Actually was very interesting and something no amount of money could duplicate.  Lunching in Eskimo housing somewhere above Thule, walking through Eskimo burial sites (cairns, cannot dig there), and more as we traveled the Baffin Bay and SE Greenlandic areas.

bob>Interesting service, did you ever "Turn on, tune in and drop out?" 

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconJun-30 11:42 AM 
To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 39) 
 37586.8 in reply to 37586.4 

My turn in Vietnam came in 1969, yes, the Coast Guard WAS in Vietnam.  Part of my 10 years overseas and at sea, join the Coast Guard, stay near home and go home every night.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

• Edited June 30, 2017 11:44 am  by  Bike (URALTOURIST1)

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-30 12:14 PM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 39) 
 37586.9 in reply to 37586.5 

Ginger>sounds interesting and cold!  My brother who served in the navy also joined the USCG when he got out of the navy. I wish I would have saved his letters from back then.

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 39) 
 37586.10 in reply to 37586.1 

Bob (Bobbylee7) said...

So, who and where were you in the Summer of 1967?

I was a 5 year old child (born in Dec. '61), who had just completed kindergarten, and had just accepted Jesus into his heart, and then been baptized in someone's ice-cold pond.  I was also learning how cruel kids can be, and how HARD it is when you try to live your life by the "turn the other cheek" message in the Bible!

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-39
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | About Delphi
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.