Bible Facts and Fun Topics -  David Buried The Head Of Goliath (278 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-26 12:14 PM 
To: AryehLeib613  (1 of 16) 

The bible tells us David cut the head of Goliath, that's in the bible. However, some Jews buried his head...where? 

Reply   Options 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 16) 
 37876.2 in reply to 37876.1 

What is your source?

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-27 10:11 AM 
To: AryehLeib613  (3 of 16) 
 37876.3 in reply to 37876.2 

What is your source?

bob>David brought his head back to Jerusalem, what did he do with it? 

1 Samuel 17:54

53The sons of Israel returned from chasing the Philistines and plundered their camps. 54Then David took the Philistine's head and brought it to Jerusalem, but he put his weaponsin his tent. 55Now when Saul saw David going out against the Philistine, he said to Abner the commander of the army, "Abner, whose son is this young man?" And Abner said, "By your life, O king, I do not know."…

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 16) 
 37876.4 in reply to 37876.3 

The following verses are the last time that head is mentioned. There is no indication of what became of it.

1 Samuel 17:54 And David took the head of the Philistine, and brought it to Jerusalem, and his weapons, he put in his tent. 55 And when Saul saw David going out toward the Philistine, he said to Abner, the general of his army, "Whose son is this youth, Abner?" And Abner said, "By your life, O King, I know not." 56 And the king said, "You ask whose son this youth is." 57 And as David returned from slaying the Philistine, Abner called him, and brought him before Saul, and the Philistine's head was in his hand.

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-28 11:39 AM 
To: AryehLeib613  (5 of 16) 
 37876.5 in reply to 37876.4 

The following verses are the last time that head is mentioned. There is no indication of what became of it.

1 Samuel 17:54 And David took the head of the Philistine, and brought it to Jerusalem, and his weapons, he put in his tent. 55 And when Saul saw David going out toward the Philistine, he said to Abner, the general of his army, "Whose son is this youth, Abner?" And Abner said, "By your life, O King, I know not." 56 And the king said, "You ask whose son this youth is." 57 And as David returned from slaying the Philistine, Abner called him, and brought him before Saul, and the Philistine's head was in his hand.

bob>Verse 54 says David took the head back to Jerusalem, which is what I was pointing out. The question is, what did he do with it. Some Jews, as I am told, understand David buried the head in a small mound, but the mound grew and became Golgotha, which is to mean the skull, a mount in Jerusalem, is this what you understand?  

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 16) 
 37876.6 in reply to 37876.5 

I never heard that.

It is not in any Jewish writings I know of.

It may be a Christian legend. Here are a bunch of articles on  the subject:

https://nortonsafe.search.ask.com/web?q=Golgotha%20%2b%20samson&o=APN11912&prt=NS&chn=1000&geo=US&ver=22.11.2.7&locale=en_US&tpr=111&guid=DE6B7D81-047D-11DF-88D2-40618636E812&doi=2017-11-22

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-28 2:16 PM 
To: AryehLeib613  (7 of 16) 
 37876.7 in reply to 37876.6 

Hi Len, this is part of an article on the subject, I would assume the Jews would have something in writing on the head of Goliath, as he was such an important person in the Torah and David does bring it to Jerusalem. I did post just part of a Christian article on this, what do you think about the Hebrew used here? 

The “place of the skull” has an interesting history. This location of Jesus’ crucifixion is called both Calvary and Golgotha. The Greek word κραν?ον (kran-ee-on), translated as Calvary, means skull-that part of the skeletal frame known as the cranium. The word Golgotha is a Hebrew word which also means skull-better known as the “place of the skull.” Why was Jesus crucified on a hill known as the place of the skull?

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 16) 
 37876.8 in reply to 37876.7 

The Hebrew for "skull" and "cranium" is pronounced "goolgolet."

Perhaps your word is an older version.

• Edited November 28, 2017 5:29 pm  by  AryehLeib613

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-29 9:57 AM 
To: AryehLeib613  (9 of 16) 
 37876.9 in reply to 37876.8 

The Hebrew for "skull" and "cranium" is pronounced "goolgolet."

Perhaps your word is an older version.

bob>Hebrew is all Greek to me, as you know. There are articles about mount Golgotha being the place where David buried the head of Goliath, which is how they say it got it's name and "skull" being another name for it as well. I would think the Jews would have something telling us what David did with the head of Goliath. I see if I can find something.  

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-29 10:49 AM 
To: AryehLeib613  (10 of 16) 
 37876.10 in reply to 37876.9 

bob>Do you agree with these word definitions? 

Golgotha—Aramaic (language of the Hebrews)

Κρανιον Kranion 2898 (Strong) is the name in Greek

Calvarius (from where “Calvary” is derived) is the Roman language (Latin)

Interestingly, all three names mean “Skull”.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-16
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.