Faith Issues,News & Religions -  Respect For God And His Holy Name (521 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host3/7/18 9:52 AM 
To: All  (1 of 32) 

bob>In reading the OT and talking to Jews I have noticed a true respect for God and His Holy Name. Many times when Jews use a name thar represents God they will follow it with "praise be to Him" or "Blessed be He" or some other type of praise. It seems to me we Christians don't do this and in fact we may use the name of God for no purpose or for no value. For example many of us will say when something shocking comes up "oh my God" or some even "G.. damn" something or "for God's sake" in all of these examples the name of God is used to no value or to even curse something/someone. Should this be done? Should we use the name of God like this? Should we correct Christians who do this? What do you think? 

Reply   Options 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 32) 
 38084.2 in reply to 38084.1 

Not only that!

If you ask an Orthodox Jew, "How are you doing?" instead of responding directly, the response will generally be, "Barukh Hashem." This means, "Blessed is the Name [of the Lord.]" It is a way of saying, "Fine," by instead declaring the blessedness of the reason he is fine.

If you make an appointment with such a person, and ask if he can make it, instead of saying, "Yes," he will say, "Eem yirtza Hashem," meaning, "The [Lord's] Name willing" [I'll be there.] If there is a chance he may have to change the appointment he may add, "B'lee neder," meaning, "Not  a vow." This is to honor the biblical commandment that vows must be kept.

Num. 30:3 If a man makes a vow to the Lord, or swears an oath to make a prohibition on himself, he shall not violate his word; according to whatever came out of his mouth.

We routinely substitute, "Hashem," meaning, "The [Lord's] Name" to avoid saying in vain the four letter unpronounceable Hebrew Name of God, called "the Tetragrammaton." Some  will even write "G-d" or "Gd," to avoid writing the generic term. But many scholars consider this prohibition only applicable in the Hebrew language.

Other than in prayer we purposely avoid saying even the generic Hebrew Term by mispronouncing it. We say, "Elokaynoo" with a "k" instead of an "h."

• Edited March 7, 2018 11:46 pm  by  AryehLeib613

To: All  (3 of 32) 
 38084.3 in reply to 38084.1 

GOD never authorized ANYONE to "never make mention of His Name." - HIS PERSONAL Name. In fact, to do so is to DIRECTLY VIOLATE many scriptures and exhortations to "make mention of His Name," "lift up His Name," "let us exalt HIS NAME together," "Hallowed be THY NAME..." etc. etc.  {See John 17:6,11,12,26.}

I have documented this here:

who suppressed the Holy Name of GOD/Yah ?

pharisees. rabbi's. carnally-minded men who THOUGHT or IMAGINED they were "protecting" The Holy Name of GOD - YahOvah from profane and foolish men & women.  GOD NEVER TOLD THEM (in contradiction to clear scriptural exhortation) to never call upon His Name in either prayer or praise or worship.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/len-hummel/q-who-suppressed-the-holy-personal-name-of-god-in-violation-of-his-own-word-comm/10150258176289182

but almost nobody pays any attention to it. OBVIOUS as it is. and it is TOTALLY, TOTALLY BACKED BY SCRIPTURE.

Including Psalm 91:14 and Malachi 3:16-18.

There is no excuse for insistently REFUSING to know OR call upon THE NAME OF THE LORD YahOvah-ELOHim.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/yhvhyeshuah1/start

Read the scriptures documenting this in the above link before commenting please.

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host3/8/18 9:59 AM 
To: AryehLeib613  (4 of 32) 
 38084.4 in reply to 38084.2 

Not only that!

If you ask an Orthodox Jew, "How are you doing?" instead of responding directly, the response will generally be, "Barukh Hashem." This means, "Blessed is the Name [of the Lord.]" It is a way of saying, "Fine," by instead declaring the blessedness of the reason he is fine.

bob>Interesting. 

If you make an appointment with such a person, and ask if he can make it, instead of saying, "Yes," he will say, "Eem yirtza Hashem," meaning, "The [Lord's] Name willing" [I'll be there.] If there is a chance he may have to change the appointment he may add, "B'lee neder," meaning, "Not  a vow." This is to honor the biblical commandment that vows must be kept.

bob>I think gentiles don't understand our word is a vow. "Let your yes be yes and your no be no" I found out long ago when asked to do something not to just say "yes" but "If I can I will" or "looks like I can" people count on our word/vow and when we don't carry it out we cause them trouble. They also may not think much of us/me either from then on. 

Num. 30:3 If a man makes a vow to the Lord, or swears an oath to make a prohibition on himself, he shall not violate his word; according to whatever came out of his mouth.

We routinely substitute, "Hashem," meaning, "The [Lord's] Name" to avoid saying in vain the four letter unpronounceable Hebrew Name of God, called "the Tetragrammaton." Some  will even write "G-d" or "Gd," to avoid writing the generic term. But many scholars consider this prohibition only applicable in the Hebrew language.

bob>When is His actual four letter name used?

Other than in prayer we purposely avoid saying even the generic Hebrew Term by mispronouncing it. We say, "Elokaynoo" with a "k" instead of an "h."

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host3/8/18 10:04 AM 
To: Spiritest_25_77 (Spiritest_24)  (5 of 32) 
 38084.5 in reply to 38084.3 

GOD never authorized ANYONE to "never make mention of His Name."

bob>This is confusing, "Never authorized to never make"

There is no excuse for insistently REFUSING to know OR call upon THE NAME OF THE LORD YahOvah-ELOHim.

bob>Do you consider that to be the actual 4 letter name of God? I do understand not using his name so it can't be defiled, don't you?  

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 32) 
 38084.6 in reply to 38084.4 

It was used in the inner sanctum of the Temple on Yom Kippur by the High Priest out of earshot of the congregation. As a result  of the  temple's destruction no one recalls how to pronounce it.

In prayer books and Bibles Hebrew words have vowel signs under letters to aid pronunciation. But the Tetragrammaton does not contain such signs.

Instead of pronouncing it we substitute, "Adonai," meaning, "The Lord." But even  this is  used only during  prayer or Bible reading. Otherwise we again substitute, "Hashem" or "AdoShem."

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host3/8/18 4:32 PM 
To: AryehLeib613  (7 of 32) 
 38084.7 in reply to 38084.6 

It was used in the inner sanctum of the Temple on Yom Kippur by the High Priest out of earshot of the congregation. As a result  of the  temple's destruction no one recalls how to pronounce it.

bob>Oh so the correct pronunciation of His name is lost but the four letters are not. Are they used in writing it today?  Is it written in the synagogues? Is it written in the scrolls?

In prayer books and Bibles Hebrew words have vowel signs under letters to aid pronunciation. But the Tetragrammaton does not contain such signs.

bob>It's my understanding when the Jews came back after 70 years, many had forgotten how to pronounce Hebrew correctly, so they added vowels. Right? 

Instead of pronouncing it we substitute, "Adonai," meaning, "The Lord." But even  this is  used only during  prayer or Bible reading. Otherwise we again substitute, "Hashem" or "AdoShem.

bob>I see, very interesting topic. 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 32) 
 38084.8 in reply to 38084.7 

bob>Oh so the correct pronunciation of His name is lost but the four letters are not. Are they used in writing it today?  Is it written in the synagogues? Is it written in the scrolls?

As I wrote, it in prayer books, Hebrew Bibles and Torah Scrolls -- without vowel signs.

bob>It's my understanding when the Jews came back after 70 years, many had forgotten how to pronounce Hebrew correctly, so they added vowels. Right? 

Right! also non-Israeli Jews  and children,

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 32) 
 38084.9 in reply to 38084.5 
38084.5 in reply to 38084.3 

GOD never authorized ANYONE to "never make mention of His Name."

bob>This is confusing, "Never authorized to never make"

It seems rather clear to me. We are to never blasphemy His holy name, but keep his name and Him at the forefront of our minds and on our lips throughout our day. We are to proclaim His name to the world, shouting it from the rooftops, and using every means at our disposal to tell the world about Jesus Christ and what He did on the cross for whosoever will put their full trust and believe in His finished work.

Satan and his dupes would try to convince us to hide his amazing Light under a bushel basket. 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 32) 
 38084.10 in reply to 38084.5 

Absolutely NOT. Please see my facebook Note/essay on this issue.

The scriptures are very very clear on this.

Besides: you do think GOD is so impotent in Judgment that He cannot deal with people who mis-use or blaspheme His Name? It's absurd. GOD NEVER authorized ANYONE to never "make mention of His actual Name" ... or to SUBSTITUTE generic titles {like "LORD" or "Adonai" or Hashem"} for HIS ACTUAL NAME.

There is no excuse for it, ... tho they {Jewish pharisees in particular} will TRY to excuse it endlessly.

Read what the scriptures say. I have documented it thoroughly.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-32
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.