Faith Issues,News & Religions -  Cathollic Priest Turns in Murder (501 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-16 1:20 PM 
To: All  (1 of 36) 

HI Corky, we were just talking about a priest who during confession was told of a murder his parishioner committed and the priest turned in the person and he was charged. The issue was the church was NOT allowing Priest to turn anyone in for any crime they found out about during confession. A couple days ago, the something happened again. A person "during confession" told a priest he murdered his wife, the priest turned him and and helped the police capture him. The Official Catholic announcement on this was that the confession was made not during an official confession, so the priest had the right to trun him in. What do you think? 

Reply   Options 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 36) 
 38102.2 in reply to 38102.1 

dear Bob,

Bob>>HI Corky, we were just talking about a priest who during confession was told of a murder his parishioner committed and the priest turned in the person and he was charged. The issue was the church was NOT allowing Priest to turn anyone in for any crime they found out about during confession. A couple days ago, the something happened again. A person "during confession" told a priest he murdered his wife, the priest turned him and and helped the police capture him. The Official Catholic announcement on this was that the confession was made not during an official confession, so the priest had the right to trun him in. What do you think? <<

Not in a sacramental situation.  From what I understand was thatthe man was in a distraught mode.  He was contemplating going home and killing himself  He appearently told the Priest either outside of the confessionaL or just walked in the confessional and blurted out that he had killed his wife of several months.  For the confession to be sacramental 1st  the pentant must tell the priest how sorry he is for his sin. "Oh my God I am hardily sorry for my sins because I dread the lost of heaven and the pains of hell but mosdt of all because I have offended thy my God who is all good and deserving of all my love.  I affirmaly resulve, with the help of Thy grace to confess my sins, do penance, and mend my life AMEN."  This anniciates the sacramental confession.  Appearantly the man did not make it this far.  To tell you the truth this is the first time Ive heard about this.

pax

corkybob

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-28 10:18 AM 
To: Corkybob  (3 of 36) 
 38102.3 in reply to 38102.2 

Bob>>HI Corky, we were just talking about a priest who during confession was told of a murder his parishioner committed and the priest turned in the person and he was charged. The issue was the church was NOT allowing Priest to turn anyone in for any crime they found out about during confession. A couple days ago, the something happened again. A person "during confession" told a priest he murdered his wife, the priest turned him and and helped the police capture him. The Official Catholic announcement on this was that the confession was made not during an official confession, so the priest had the right to trun him in. What do you think? <<

Not in a sacramental situation.  From what I understand was thatthe man was in a distraught mode.  He was contemplating going home and killing himself  He appearently told the Priest either outside of the confessionaL or just walked in the confessional and blurted out that he had killed his wife of several months.  For the confession to be sacramental 1st  the pentant must tell the priest how sorry he is for his sin. "Oh my God I am hardily sorry for my sins because I dread the lost of heaven and the pains of hell but mosdt of all because I have offended thy my God who is all good and deserving of all my love.  I affirmaly resulve, with the help of Thy grace to confess my sins, do penance, and mend my life AMEN."  This anniciates the sacramental confession.  Appearantly the man did not make it this far.  To tell you the truth this is the first time Ive heard about this.

bob>Hi Corky, it was on the news a couple weeks ago, I hope you saw it, but the point of it was that a priest is NOT to report crimes to the police that are told to him during confession, per the Catholic church officials. In this case, the confession was "official" due to something like you'er pointing out, so it was okay if the priest told the police. Pretty fine line here, I am not Catholic, as you know, but you are, should there be a fine line at all. I think you were saying the priest could go to the police and report some crime he was told about, but it seems if everything is done correctly and it's an official confession, then he can't. What do you think about that? 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 36) 
 38102.4 in reply to 38102.3 

dear Bob,

bob>Hi Corky, it was on the news a couple weeks ago, I hope you saw it, but the point of it was that a priest is NOT to report crimes to the police that are told to him during confession, per the Catholic church officials. In this case, the confession was "official" due to something like you'er pointing out, so it was okay if the priest told the police. Pretty fine line here, I am not Catholic, as you know, but you are, should there be a fine line at all. I think you were saying the priest could go to the police and report some crime he was told about, but it seems if everything is done correctly and it's an official confession, then he can't. What do you think about that?

Priest have to be opened always for someone to confess  They must not have a blockage to this such as someone turning in the person. or no one would confess.  If it is a serious sin then the priest must put pressure on the person to have them turn themselves in.

pax

xorkybob

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-2 12:47 PM 
To: Corkybob  (5 of 36) 
 38102.5 in reply to 38102.4 

Priest have to be opened always for someone to confess  They must not have a blockage to this such as someone turning in the person. or no one would confess.  If it is a serious sin then the priest must put pressure on the person to have them turn themselves in.

bob>I guess they have certain days and times for confession, right? But, your saying they also take it at other times. 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 36) 
 38102.6 in reply to 38102.5 

dear Bob,

bob>I guess they have certain days and times for confession, right? But, your saying they also take it at other times.

A priest must be open to take confession at all times.  Think of it, people do go to hell for Sin.  To bar someone from confession for any reason sends them to hell if they were to die with unconfessed sin.  A mortal sin can only be forgiven by a priest.  Veinal sin can be forgiven by asking Christ to forgive their sin.  This is the issue over being ex-communicated.  Those who are excommunicated are barred from recieving the Sacraments, which include recieving the sacrament of Penance.  Thus a Priest is open for confession at anytime, including in time of intimate death.

pax

corkybob

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-3 10:37 AM 
To: Corkybob  (7 of 36) 
 38102.7 in reply to 38102.6 

A priest must be open to take confession at all times.  Think of it, people do go to hell for Sin.  To bar someone from confession for any reason sends them to hell if they were to die with unconfessed sin.  A mortal sin can only be forgiven by a priest.  Veinal sin can be forgiven by asking Christ to forgive their sin.  This is the issue over being ex-communicated.  Those who are excommunicated are barred from recieving the Sacraments, which include recieving the sacrament of Penance.  Thus a Priest is open for confession at anytime, including in time of intimate death.

bob>I see, so the church is open most the time and priest would be there to take confession if asked. What about sins we forget about or don't know about, we would never ask to be forgiven of sins we didn't know about, what about those? 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 36) 
 38102.8 in reply to 38102.7 

dear Bob,

bob>I see, so the church is open most the time and priest would be there to take confession if asked. What about sins we forget about or don't know about, we would never ask to be forgiven of sins we didn't know about, what about those?

During night prayers it is always advisable to say the act of concrition, with asks God to forgive your sins and is said in the confessional as proof of your sorrow for your sins.  To not know or forget about a sin usually has if as a veinal sin, on that has little concequence on your soul, but eats away at your grace.  For all people grace is needed to get to heaven.  Mortal sin take all of your graceaway so dying with a mortal sin on your soul says you died without grace, which means you are hell bound.

pax

corkybob

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-3 4:16 PM 
To: Corkybob  (9 of 36) 
 38102.9 in reply to 38102.8 

During night prayers it is always advisable to say the act of concrition, with asks God to forgive your sins and is said in the confessional as proof of your sorrow for your sins.  To not know or forget about a sin usually has if as a veinal sin, on that has little concequence on your soul, but eats away at your grace.  For all people grace is needed to get to heaven.  Mortal sin take all of your graceaway so dying with a mortal sin on your soul says you died without grace, which means you are hell bound.

bob>If a Catholic, such as the pope and others, believe there is no hell, does that effect their salvation? 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 36) 
 38102.10 in reply to 38102.9 

dear Bob,

bob>If a Catholic, such as the pope and others, believe there is no hell, does that effect their salvation?

In 1917 the 3 children of Fatima saw hell.  They later commented that the majority their were not their for denying God, but for denying the existance of Hell.  If a Pope denies hell and is a personal opinion then it does not effect Catholicism.  It would effect his salvation.  If he made it law that forced all Catholics to believe, then He would loose his chism of infallability.  He could not do this since it is firmly a Church teaching.  Thus when he says that there is no hell and we just diappear he is speaking of what Athiest say.  He then says that Christ teaches that Hell is eternal.  Francis is saying there are 2 views and one is what Christ teaches.  He as Pope ios obligated to hold to Christs teaching and he does.

pax

corkybob

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-36
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.