Faith Issues,News & Religions -  Is Mega Better? (476 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-22 8:20 AM 
To: All  (1 of 60) 

In my area of Oklahoma, the old school, traditional churches are closing up or giving themselves to the Mega churches. In downtown Tulsa was a monumental baptist church that was down to 40 members who attended and they gave their million dollar buildings to a baptist mega church. The day the Mega church took over hundreds attended service and sang worship songs and watched the pastor on a huge HD TV screen. With the old school churches dying off, there isn't any choice but to give up and give in. However, in reality, the old school churches aren't reaching anyone, the new mega churches are, so doesn't that make the mega churches out to be better in the long run? Their teaching is feel good, you can do it, we can all get along stuff, but it's still the only church reaching people and bringing them in. So, isn't a milk church better than a closed church? 

Reply   Options 

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-28 12:20 PM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 60) 
 38246.2 in reply to 38246.1 

You are Wildly WRONG, strong small and faithful small churches are the very life of the Christian church.  Making a profit and having a good corporate standing does NOT make a good church organization at any level.  Meeting in borrowed spaces or in homes was the very foundation of the Christian church, why do we need a megaskyscraper with a million feet of glass on its face to proclam the essence of the Faith?

Analogy (just like in the Bible, tales are told to illustrate things more clearly), who would you rather have adminstering to the needs of a village, a local village elder or would you rather a monster government thousands of mile away have a faceless bureaucrat from that far off place do it for you?

The very impersonality of the monster organization means to lose any touch with the realities of small groups or, God Help Us, any individual.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-29 9:40 AM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 60) 
 38246.3 in reply to 38246.2 

You are Wildly WRONG, strong small and faithful small churches are the very life of the Christian church. 

bob>They are dying, that's why Mega churches are growing. 

Making a profit and having a good corporate standing does NOT make a good church organization at any level.

bob>Churches are not making profits. 

Meeting in borrowed spaces or in homes was the very foundation of the Christian church, why do we need a megaskyscraper with a million feet of glass on its face to proclam the essence of the Faith?

bob>Many churches start in small groups, many split out from churches, mega churches are were mega people go. 

Analogy (just like in the Bible, tales are told to illustrate things more clearly), who would you rather have adminstering to the needs of a village, a local village elder or would you rather a monster government thousands of mile away have a faceless bureaucrat from that far off place do it for you?

bob>It's not a choice what I would rather have, we have both going at the same time. 

The very impersonality of the monster organization means to lose any touch with the realities of small groups or, God Help Us, any individual.

bob>The Mega churches offer much better children's and youth programs and that's where you grow your church. 

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-29 12:14 PM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 60) 
 38246.4 in reply to 38246.3 

THE FAMILY is the core of a good church, not a building or group.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

From: Joy (inmemory) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-29 4:36 PM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 60) 
 38246.5 in reply to 38246.1 

>>>Is Mega better?

I would say that size is not the important factor in deciding whether something is better or not. The heart of the people (which only God knows) is the most crucial element. 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 60) 
 38246.6 in reply to 38246.1 

Small churches die when they stop preaching the Gospel. Mega-churches that are only doing "milk" at best are just setting people up "to be driven by the winds of diverse doctrines" and at worst leading people down the wrong path.

Here in WV the small church is still king. And they aren't preaching pablum. The mega-churches can be found, but only in the cities. I wonder how difficult it is for a pastor to minister to a crowd of thousands.

I've only seen one small church close and it was due to damages to the building that was more than the congregation could afford to fix, not because of the preaching or not meeting needs of the people.

I guess the point I am trying to make is are they reaching the people because of the Gospel or because of the comfortable trapping of the church?

My counter question would be, what's the difference in a milk only church and no church. Anything on a diet of milk only diet eventually starves to death.

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-30 5:25 PM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 60) 
 38246.7 in reply to 38246.4 

THE FAMILY is the core of a good church, not a building or group.

bob>How long since you and your family attended church? What church? 

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-30 5:29 PM 
To: Joy (inmemory) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 60) 
 38246.8 in reply to 38246.5 

>>>Is Mega better?

I would say that size is not the important factor in deciding whether something is better or not. The heart of the people (which only God knows) is the most crucial element.

bob>Great post again! It's all about the heart!!! I wish others knew that! I belong to a Mega church and I'm mixed about it. It has great programs for the youth, it had a great pastor who built it into a Mega church, now his son has taken over. But, there isn't much pastoring. I went in for an operation and the church sent a pastor over to the hospital to see me, I had been there for years and not only didn't know him all at, I had never seen him at all. We have many pastors, but only a hand full preach. Mega is good as it does bring in people who wouldn't have gone to church and though they usually only preach milk, that's still good for new ones and some are saved, so I don't want them to stop, but I do want them to teach/preach better. What about you? 

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-30 5:39 PM 
To: Reforger1  (9 of 60) 
 38246.9 in reply to 38246.6 

Small churches die when they stop preaching the Gospel.

bob>That's true for churches that do that, however many Mega churches grow preaching fell good sermons, hitting the high lights in milk fashion and leaving the "bad" thow shalt not" out. I think a church grows via the youth department, if you have a good one, the kids will come and then their parents will come. Many of the older churches are in the old dead areas of town, most the kids are grown and moved off and live in the better parts of town. 

Mega-churches that are only doing "milk" at best are just setting people up "to be driven by the winds of diverse doctrines" and at worst leading people down the wrong path.

bob>Not much path leading, but a lot of milk and feel good preaching, it's what the people want, not what God wants, yet, still many are brought to Christ, so I don't want them to stop. The older churches won't reach them. 

Here in WV the small church is still king. And they aren't preaching pablum. The mega-churches can be found, but only in the cities. I wonder how difficult it is for a pastor to minister to a crowd of thousands.

bob>My mega church is about 8000 and they have a wrath of lower pastors who never preach but run the school, youth departments, buses, grounds, hospitals and so on. No pastoring really, they know the volenteers they lead over the various duties they are assigned.  

I've only seen one small church close and it was due to damages to the building that was more than the congregation could afford to fix, not because of the preaching or not meeting needs of the people.

bob>What are the main religions in your area? We have a bunch of small churches closing in the Tulsa area and they "give" themselves to one of the mega churches or else they just close their doors. 

I guess the point I am trying to make is are they reaching the people because of the Gospel or because of the comfortable trapping of the church?

bob>Good point! Mega offers a lot, but no sunday school for adults, just the kids, which is really kid church as kids aren not allowed in the big services. 

My counter question would be, what's the difference in a milk only church and no church. Anything on a diet of milk only diet eventually starves to death.

bob>We all start on milk and some will move to higher teaching churches at some point. But,most stay with milk and that's better than nothing and those on mild are saved, right? 

From: Joy (inmemory) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-30 5:46 PM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 60) 
 38246.10 in reply to 38246.8 

>>>I do want them to teach/preach better. What about you? 

Bob,

I agree 100%.  Today, I see some preachers who are better gifted toward helping the unsaved, some who are better with the youth, some who are better with the elderly and infirm etc. etc.  The important thing is to be genuine, to have impeccable integrity and most of all to preach an untainted gospel. Some veer off from the word of God and that makes for the collapse of the foundation of any otherwise, seemingly good church.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-40 41-50 51-60
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.