Faith Issues,News & Religions -  Is Your Church Scared Of The Cross? (271 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostOct-10 10:05 AM 
To: All  (1 of 32) 

Does the church you attend or the ones you watch on TV actually have a cross in the auditorium, in the halls ect? Are they displaying the cross on their sign, buildings ect? Or, are they scared of the cross? 

Reply   Options 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 32) 
 38672.2 in reply to 38672.1 

The foremost reason would be that Jesus was never impaled on a two beam cross. The Greek word translated cross is stauros, which basically means an upright pale or stake. In other Biblical references, the Greek word xylon was used (Acts 5:30, Galatians 3:13), which simply refers to a timber or tree. For public executions the Romans generally sunk a singular beam into the ground upon which the victim was impaled. The executions took place with the hands raised upward, and along with their feet were either bound or nailed. Actually, it wasn't until the 4th century before the cross came into prominence, when pagan Emperor Constantine promoted it as a symbol of Christendom. The use of a two-beam cross actually can be traced centuries prior to Christ, and had roots based in pagan worship and were of a phallic nature. 

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostOct-12 12:08 PM 
To: Cheryl1994 unread  (3 of 32) 
 38672.3 in reply to 38672.2 

The foremost reason would be that Jesus was never impaled on a two beam cross. The Greek word translated cross is stauros, which basically means an upright pale or stake. In other Biblical references, the Greek word xylon was used (Acts 5:30, Galatians 3:13), which simply refers to a timber or tree. For public executions the Romans generally sunk a singular beam into the ground upon which the victim was impaled. The executions took place with the hands raised upward, and along with their feet were either bound or nailed. Actually, it wasn't until the 4th century before the cross came into prominence, when pagan Emperor Constantine promoted it as a symbol of Christendom. The use of a two-beam cross actually can be traced centuries prior to Christ, and had roots based in pagan worship and were of a phallic nature.

bob>The issue of the cross or pole isn't really important, as it's not a salvational issue anyway. However, the Messianic Seal, which I use for my signiture on the bottom of the post, has been found all over Israel and the eye of the fish is a cross, not an x, but a cross. The issue of this thread is that the cross is used as the universal sign of the Christian faith, it was displayed on church signs, buildings, in the halls, on the podiums and so on. Today, in many Christian churches, you can't find even one cross, in fact, it has been taken out of many churches, it's too churchy, so to speak.It's been the main symbol for centuries, but it's going away, what do you think about that?

From: MaryK (LADYBUGGS) DelphiPlus Member IconOct-12 7:42 PM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 32) 
 38672.4 in reply to 38672.3 

Yes. My church does have a cross. I had not heard of this, but in this day and age I can believe it. Seems they are trying to take away anything Christian, such as those symbols that have meant so much to us. I have never researched the cross in that way, what really matters to me is that Christ suffered and died for us all to pay the price for our sin and give us the way to salvation. Either way, and no matter the design of the cross, it was painful and that to me is what matters. I haven't been in here for ages! I haven't been on Delphi for ages and I just happened to see this on my way in and thought I would drop by. Always liked it here.

MaryK

Do Not Worry
28And why do you worry about clothes? Consider how the lilies of the field grow: They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his glory was adorned like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?…

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconOct-12 7:56 PM 
To: MaryK (LADYBUGGS) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 32) 
 38672.5 in reply to 38672.4 

Maybe those in your particular church cannot be Christians without a physical reminder, their faith needs shoring up with symbols.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

From: MaryK (LADYBUGGS) DelphiPlus Member IconOct-12 8:14 PM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 32) 
 38672.6 in reply to 38672.5 

Not my place to judge another's faith or salvation. That is God's job and I leave it to Him.

I go to that church and I don't require that physical reminder, but I don't object to it either. A reminder of what Jesus did for us is not offensive to me.

This is reminding me of the "good old days" on Delphi. :)

MaryK

Do Not Worry
28And why do you worry about clothes? Consider how the lilies of the field grow: They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his glory was adorned like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?…

To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 32) 
 38672.7 in reply to 38672.5 

To a truly born again Christian that would not be necessary, since all have a deep love and faith in Jesus Christ and what He has done on the cross for us, and He's on our minds constantly throughout each and every day as we pray to Him, give thanks to Him, seek His guidance and direction for ever event that comes our way, and praise Him all the day long, each and every day.

The cross on a church is more of a message to the world, "Here we are, Won't you come and join us, since there's always room for one more at the foot of the cross?"

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member IconOct-13 11:32 AM 
To: MaryK (LADYBUGGS) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 32) 
 38672.8 in reply to 38672.4 

:). Good to see you again. 

Psalm119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path"

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member IconOct-13 11:33 AM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 32) 
 38672.9 in reply to 38672.5 

And your faith is in what?

Psalm119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path"

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconOct-13 11:35 AM 
To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 32) 
 38672.10 in reply to 38672.9 

Christianity and the Faith in Jesus that that entails.  I do not have crosses or other symbology to remind me, Faith is enough.

================

As an aside, a fair number of larger church facilities are available for rent and cross faith use, crosses might offend the Muslims or Jews who let the premises for their services.  I also understand that some service academy chapels have removed crosses to minimize appearance of government sponsorship or endorsement of a particular religion.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

• Edited October 13, 2018 11:41 am  by  Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-32
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.