Bible Facts and Fun Topics -  Kingship goes from father to son, but??? (225 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-26 3:29 PM 
To: AryehLeib613  (1 of 35) 

Saul was the first king of Israel, as you well know, but that kingship was to go to his son, Johnathan, as you know, but it went to David. So, this father son line was broken right off the bat, however, Johnathan told his father Saul to give the kingship to David instead. Does this make this change from Johnathan to David leagal? Keep in mind, David was married to one of Saul's daughters. It's a bit complicated for a simple minded guy like me, help me Len, what say you?

Reply   Options 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 35) 
 38796.2 in reply to 38796.1 

After King Saul failed to obey the Lord by sparing King Agag of Amalek, and many fine animals, the Lord had the Prophet Samuel strip Saul of his kingship. Once Saul was no longer king, so would his line be aborted. Samuel himself then executed Agag. (1 Sam. 15)

On God's order Samuel then went to Jesse to select Saul's replacement from one of Jesse's sons. One by one each of seven strong, handsome sons was presented to Samuel. For each, the Lord  said he is not the one.

1 Samuel 16:11 And Samuel said to Jesse, "Are these all the young men?" And he said, "The youngest still remains, and behold, he is tending the sheep." And Samuel said to Jesse, "Send and bring him, for we shall not sit down until he comes here." 12 And he sent and brought him, and he was ruddy, with beautiful eyes, and handsome appearance. And the Lord said, "Arise, anoint him, for this is he." 13 And Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brothers. And a spirit of the Lord passed over David from that day forth, and Samuel arose and went to Ramah. 14 And the spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord frightened him. 15 And Saul's servants said to him, "Behold now, an evil spirit of God is frightening you. 16 Let our lord say (your servants are before you), 'Let them seek a man who knows how to play on the harp'; and it will be, that when the evil spirit of God is upon you, he will play with his hand, and it will be good for you." 17 And Saul said to his servants, "Provide me now with a man who plays well, and you shall bring him to me." 18 And one of the young men answered and said, "Behold, I saw a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, who knows how to play, a mighty man of valor, and a warrior, and prudent in affairs, and a handsome man, and the Lord is with him." 19 And Saul sent messengers to Jesse, and he said, "Send me David your son, who is with the sheep." 20 And Jesse took a donkey laden with bread, and an earthenware jug of wine, and a kid; and he sent them with David his son, to Saul. 21 And David came to Saul, and stood before him, and he loved him very much, and he was his weapon bearer. 22 And Saul sent to Jesse, saying, "Let David stand before me now, for he has found favor in my eyes." 23 And it would be, that when the spirit of God was upon Saul, that David would take the harp, and would play with his hand, and Saul would be relieved, and it would be good for him, the spirit of evil would depart from him.

• Edited November 26, 2018 4:56 pm  by  AryehLeib613

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-27 10:37 AM 
To: AryehLeib613  (3 of 35) 
 38796.3 in reply to 38796.2 

After King Saul failed to obey the Lord by sparing King Agag of Amalek, and many fine animals, the Lord had the Prophet Samuel strip Saul of his kingship. Once Saul was no longer king, so would his line be aborted. Samuel himself then executed Agag. (1 Sam. 15)

bob>I didn't remember that! Great info! Thanks! So, God started over with David and another line, Judah. Jews plan on building another temple, which means they will need High Priests, do they plan or have the line picked out? What about a King, is it planned to have a new King and is that line/family picked out? 

On God's order Samuel then went to Jesse to select Saul's replacement from one of Jesse's sons. One by one each of seven strong, handsome sons was presented to Samuel. For each, the Lord  said he is not the one.

1 Samuel 16:11 And Samuel said to Jesse, "Are these all the young men?" And he said, "The youngest still remains, and behold, he is tending the sheep." And Samuel said to Jesse, "Send and bring him, for we shall not sit down until he comes here." 12 And he sent and brought him, and he was ruddy, with beautiful eyes, and handsome appearance. And the Lord said, "Arise, anoint him, for this is he." 13 And Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brothers. And a spirit of the Lord passed over David from that day forth, and Samuel arose and went to Ramah. 14 And the spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord frightened him. 15 And Saul's servants said to him, "Behold now, an evil spirit of God is frightening you. 16 Let our lord say (your servants are before you), 'Let them seek a man who knows how to play on the harp'; and it will be, that when the evil spirit of God is upon you, he will play with his hand, and it will be good for you." 17 And Saul said to his servants, "Provide me now with a man who plays well, and you shall bring him to me." 18And one of the young men answered and said, "Behold, I saw a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, who knows how to play, a mighty man of valor, and a warrior, and prudent in affairs, and a handsome man, and the Lord is with him." 19 And Saul sent messengers to Jesse, and he said, "Send me David your son, who is with the sheep." 20 And Jesse took a donkey laden with bread, and an earthenware jug of wine, and a kid; and he sent them with David his son, to Saul. 21 And David came to Saul, and stood before him, and he loved him very much, and he was his weapon bearer. 22 And Saul sent to Jesse, saying, "Let David stand before me now, for he has found favor in my eyes." 23 And it would be, that when the spirit of God was upon Saul, that David would take the harp, and would play with his hand, and Saul would be relieved, and it would be good for him, the spirit of evil would depart from him.

bob>I didn't realize David was handsome, it says he was Ruddy? What's that? 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 35) 
 38796.4 in reply to 38796.3 

Ruddy is a healthy red complexion.

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-28 11:15 AM 
To: AryehLeib613  (5 of 35) 
 38796.5 in reply to 38796.4 

Ruddy is a healthy red complexion.

bob>Typical for most Jews? Jesus was also called "Ruddy"

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 35) 
 38796.6 in reply to 38796.5 

I am a paleface myself:-)

Ruddiness may be in the DNA.

But it also comes from a vigorous outdoor life.

• Edited November 29, 2018 1:05 am  by  AryehLeib613

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-29 10:56 AM 
To: AryehLeib613  (7 of 35) 
 38796.7 in reply to 38796.6 

I am a paleface myself:-)

Ruddiness may be in the DNA.

But it also comes from a vigorous outdoor life.

bob>That leaves me out, My DNA test shows I'm 50% English, 49% Irish and Scottish and 1% Nigerian, oops, how did that happen? What does your DNA show? 

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member IconNov-29 12:24 PM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 35) 
 38796.8 in reply to 38796.7 

bob>That leaves me out, My DNA test shows I'm 50% English, 49% Irish and Scottish and 1% Nigerian, oops, how did that happen? What does your DNA show? 

Ginger>when did you have this done? We talked about DNA a few years ago on here but I don't remember you saying you had it done?

I saw something recently that states all humans come from one man and one woman and the article had nothing to do with religion. 

Psalm119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path"

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 35) 
 38796.9 in reply to 38796.7 

What about your vigorous outdoor Sooner life?

My DNA shows 95 % eastern European and the rest, Middle Eastern.

• Edited November 29, 2018 8:47 pm  by  AryehLeib613

To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 35) 
 38796.10 in reply to 38796.8 

That would be Adam and Eve.

The Talmud asks why humanity began fromtwo people.

So no one can say "My ancestors are better than yours."

• Edited November 29, 2018 8:46 pm  by  AryehLeib613

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-35
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.