Bible Facts and Fun Topics -  Jesus To Peter, Do you Love Me 3 Times (272 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-11 10:47 AM 
To: All  (1 of 23) 
There times in the bible where a weak or incorrect translation was made into the Enlgish translations which mistranslated what the original bible said. One such event was when Jesus asked Peter "Do You Love Me?" three times. It's been taught by pastors for hundreds of years that Christ is punishing Peter for denying Him three times, it's not. Christ is handing His ministry, church and followers to Peter, as Peter is the rock He is building His church upon. 
The key to really understanding what's going on in this verse is to go back to the original language and look at the original words. Christ, in this passage is translated as saying the English word "love" three times, He used a different word or meaning for each of the three times as you see here, each with a very different meaning than our English word "love" 

John 21:15-17
15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.

16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
KJV

NT:25
agapao (ag-ap-ah'-o); perhaps from agan (much) [or compare OT:5689]; to love (in a social or moral sense):
KJV - (be-) love (-ed). Compare NT:5368.
(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright (c) 1994, Biblesoft and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

NT:5368
phileo (fil-eh'-o); from NT:5384; to be a friend to (fond of [an individual or an object]), i.e. have affection for (denoting personal attachment, as a matter of sentiment or feeling; while NT:25 is wider, embracing especially the judgment and the deliberate assent of the will as a matter of principle, duty and propriety: the two thus stand related very much as NT:2309 and NT:1014, or as NT:2372 and NT:3563 respectively; the former being chiefly of the heart and the latter of the head); specifically, to kiss (as a mark of tenderness):
KJV - kiss, love.
(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright (c) 1994, Biblesoft and International Bible Translators, Inc.)
The first time Jesus asks Peter, “Do you love me (Jesus) more then these? And the word Jesus used for “love” is ”agapao” (Stongs 25) meaning do you love me much or a great deal. Then Jesus replies “feed my lambs” which are the other apostles who follow with Peter. This is telling Peter to lead the apostles (these).
In verse 16, Jesus says Jesus says “Do you love me (Jesus)?” and Jesus uses the same word for love this time, “agapao”, but he say this time to feed my sheep. This would be telling Peter to lead his church, the others who follow Christ.
In verse 17 the word Jesus used translated, as “love” is a different word. It is “phileo” (strongs 5368). This has a different meaning, as it means to have affection for the principle of what Jesus stood for, not just to love him, but what he represented. It also denotes a “duty to love” these things. Jesus, this third time is instructing Peter to love the message and principles Jesus taught, stood for and died for. This event on the shore is not Jesus rebuking Peter. It is Jesus telling Peter to love and lead his apostles, sheep and message.  Jesus is placing Peter over His Church as Jesus is now leaving them.

Reply   Options 

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member IconJan-11 3:22 PM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 23) 
 40199.2 in reply to 40199.1 

Christ is handing His ministry, church and followers to Peter, as Peter is the rock He is building His church upon. 

Ginger>As you know I disagree with you about this.  The foundation of the church is built upon the gospel of Christ and not a mere man.  Peter is a little  rock but Jesus is the Rock upon which the church is built. 

1 Corinthians 3:11 For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 

Psalm119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path"

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-12 1:53 PM 
To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 23) 
 40199.3 in reply to 40199.2 

Christ is handing His ministry, church and followers to Peter, as Peter is the rock He is building His church upon. 

Ginger>As you know I disagree with you about this.  The foundation of the church is built upon the gospel of Christ and not a mere man.  Peter is a little  rock but Jesus is the Rock upon which the church is built. 

1 Corinthians 3:11 For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 

bob>The foundation Peter preached was only Yeshua, the same with Paul

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member IconJan-12 6:52 PM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 23) 
 40199.4 in reply to 40199.3 

bob>The foundation Peter preached was only Yeshua, the same with Paul. 

Ginger>Then cease from saying that Peter is the Rock (foundation). Peter is just a pebble, little rock. He was known as “Rocky”. 

To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 23) 
 40199.5 in reply to 40199.4 

Excellent and correct response.

Whom the real Rock is, can be clearly seen throughout the book of Psalms, every time it refers to the "Rock".

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-13 11:23 AM 
To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 23) 
 40199.6 in reply to 40199.4 

bob>The foundation Peter preached was only Yeshua, the same with Paul. 

Ginger>Then cease from saying that Peter is the Rock (foundation). Peter is just a pebble, little rock. He was known as “Rocky”. 

bob>The word Jesus spoke is "rock", there is no issue Christ is what Christianity is all about, and that's what they taught too. we are taught in church Jesus is rebuking Peter in this passage, because Christ is mad about Peter denying Christ three times after Jesus told Peter he would would do so. It was prophesy that Peter would scatter too, but he didn't, so he was made to do so. I show how this passage is not Christ rebuking Peter or getting even with him. 

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member IconJan-13 11:33 AM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 23) 
 40199.7 in reply to 40199.6 

bob>The word Jesus spoke is "rock", there is no issue Christ is what Christianity is all about, and that's what they taught too. we are taught in church Jesus is rebuking Peter in this passage, because Christ is mad about Peter denying Christ three times after Jesus told Peter he would would do so. It was prophesy that Peter would scatter too, but he didn't, so he was made to do so. I show how this passage is not Christ rebuking Peter or getting even with him. 

Ginger>ok

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-13 5:44 PM 
To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 23) 
 40199.8 in reply to 40199.7 

Ginger>ok

bob>Thanks for the discussion Ginger! 

To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 23) 
 40199.9 in reply to 40199.2 

If Christ declared Himself to be the cornerstone, how could Peter be the rock upon which the church was built?

God used Peter greatly in the foundation of the church. It was Peter who first proclaimed the Gospel on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:14-47). Peter was also the first to take the Gospel to the Gentiles (Acts 10:1-48). In a sense, Peter was the rock “foundation” of the church.

Peter expresses this in 1 Peter 2:4 when he addressed the believers who had been dispersed around the ancient world: “Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious, you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.” 

At this point, Jesus declares that God had revealed this truth to Peter. The word for “Peter,” Petros, means a small stone (John 1:42). Jesus used a play on words here with petra (“on this rock”) which means a foundation boulder, as in Matthew 7:24, 25 when He described the rock upon which the wise man builds his house. Peter himself uses the same imagery in his first epistle: the church is built of numerous small petros “living stones” (1 Peter 2:5) who, like Peter, confess that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and those confessions of faith are the bedrock of the church.

In addition, the New Testament makes it abundantly clear that Christ is both the foundation (Acts 4:11, 12; 1 Corinthians 3:11) and the head (Ephesians 5:23) of the church. It is a mistake to think that here He is giving either of those roles to Peter. There is a sense in which the apostles played a foundational role in the building of the church (Ephesians 2:20), but the role of primacy is reserved for Christ alone, not assigned to Peter. So, Jesus’ words here are best interpreted as a simple play on words in that a boulder-like truth came from the mouth of one who was called a small stone. And Christ Himself is called the “chief cornerstone” (1 Peter 2:6, 7). The chief cornerstone of any building was that upon which the building was anchored. If Christ declared Himself to be the cornerstone, how could Peter be the rock upon which the church was built? It is more likely that the believers, of which Peter is one, are the stones which make up the church, anchored upon the Cornerstone, “and he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame” (1 Peter 2:6).

https://www.gotquestions.org/upon-this-rock.html

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-18 11:04 AM 
To: Caryn (haleyC987)  (10 of 23) 
 40199.10 in reply to 40199.9 

bob>Great post! We are taught in church that Peter was silly, goofy and just didn't get it, but he did! Peter was solid, which is the reason why Christ left Peter in charge!  Peter was the rock, Christ says so Himself! 

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-23
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.