Bible Facts and Fun Topics -  Elizabeth the Daugher of Aaron And Jesus (170 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostFeb-11 4:54 PM 
To: Len (AryehLeib613)  (1 of 26) 

It seems the name Elizabeth is used once in the Torah and once in the NT. 

It's interesting to me that Aaron, a Levite, married Elizabeth, of the tribe of Judah and that the NT says a woman also named Elizabeth, who is the mother of John the Baptist is called "a daughter of Aaron" meaning she is a direct decedent of Aaron an Elizabeth, the first High Priest, she is also married to the father of John the Baptist who is also in the line of High Priests.

Only the direct line of Aaron can become High Priests, meaning only the sons of Aaron and this special line runs inside the levite line.  Also, Aaron married a woman of the tribe of Judah, the line of the kings, however, from them on the sons of Aaron married only daughters of Aaron. The Elizabeth in the NT is called a "daughter of Aaron" she is the only person in the bible, Torah or NT with this description, but we also know that Mary too is a daughter of Aaron. Elizabeth's mother and Mary's mother are sisters, so both share this very important line. Mary also being a "daughter of Aaron" which is inside the Levite line married Joseph, who is in the line of the Kings, Judah. So, the first High Priest united the Levite line with the Judah line and they line stayed true until it reached Mary and Joseph where the two lines were united again with the birth of Yeshua/Jesus.

Reply   Options 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 26) 
 40323.2 in reply to 40323.1 
Elisheba

Aaron married Elisheba, daughter of Amminadab and sister of Nahshon (Exodus 6:23) of the tribe of Judah. The sons of Aaron were Eleazar, Ithamar, and Nadab and Abihu. A descendant of Aaron is an Aaronite, or Kohen, meaning Priest.

You could say  that Elizabeth is the English equivalent. My bride's name is Elizabeth but her Hebrew name is Leah.
  • Edited February 11, 2020 5:23 pm  by  Len (AryehLeib613)

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostFeb-12 10:45 AM 
To: Len (AryehLeib613)  (3 of 26) 
 40323.3 in reply to 40323.2 
Elisheba

Aaron married Elisheba, daughter of Amminadab and sister of Nahshon (Exodus 6:23) of the tribe of Judah. The sons of Aaron were Eleazar, Ithamar, and Nadab and Abihu. A descendant of Aaron is an Aaronite, or Kohen, meaning Priest.

You could say  that Elizabeth is the English equivalent. My bride's name is Elizabeth but her Hebrew name is Leah.

bob>Oh, that's nice. My aunt's name was Martha Elizabeth Jones and there was no finer Christian woman to me and many others, but so were her mother Olive Jones, her sister Joy Jones and my mother their sister Jacqueline Jones. I wish you could have known them, they were all wonderful people, and they would cook you up some fried chicken and a baked apple and peach pie. i'm sure your bride is in this wonderful group as well. Could she cook up some mean chicken? I don't know if fried chicken is kosher, is it? 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 26) 
 40323.4 in reply to 40323.3 

Fried chicken is kosher if not fried in lard or other non-kosher fats, and if the chicken itself was properly slaughtered and salted to remove blood.

While I have your attention, recall that I commented about how Jews often declare God's blessedness by saying "Bo-rookh Ha-shem," "Blessed is the Name (of the Lord)." In studying this week's Torah reading I realized that the first time it was said (the only time in the Tanakh using this particular variant of expression) was by a gentile, Yitro/Jethro, Moses' father-in-law. (Exod. 18:10)

[Thereupon,] Jethro said, "Blessed is the Lord, Who has rescued you from the hands of the Egyptians and from the hand of Pharaoh, Who has rescued the people from beneath the hand of the Egyptians.

• Edited February 13, 2020 12:33 am  by  Len (AryehLeib613)

To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 26) 
 40323.5 in reply to 40323.4 

bump

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostFeb-13 10:18 AM 
To: Len (AryehLeib613)  (6 of 26) 
 40323.6 in reply to 40323.4 

Fried chicken is kosher if not fried in lard or other non-kosher fats, and if the chicken itself was properly slaughtered and salted to remove blood.

bob>I didn't know it had to be salted, and I like salt too, so I'm in.. 

While I have your attention, recall that I commented about how Jews often declare God's blessedness by saying "Bo-rookh Ha-shem," "Blessed is the Name (of the Lord)." In studying this week's Torah reading I realized that the first time it was said (the only time in the Tanakh using this particular variant of expression) was by a gentile, Yitro/Jethro, Moses' father-in-law. (Exod. 18:10)

[Thereupon,] Jethro said, "Blessed is the Lord, Who has rescued you from the hands of the Egyptians and from the hand of Pharaoh, Who has rescued the people from beneath the hand of the Egyptians.

bob>That's very interesting, I would assume Jethro became a Jew and was one when he said this, or he wouldn't have said this. 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 26) 
 40323.7 in reply to 40323.6 

The Bible does not have Jethro converting though some exegetes think he did.

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostFeb-14 10:31 AM 
To: Len (AryehLeib613)  (8 of 26) 
 40323.8 in reply to 40323.7 

Jethro>[Thereupon,] Jethro said, "Blessed is the Lord, Who has rescued you from the hands of the Egyptians and from the hand of Pharaoh, Who has rescued the people from beneath the hand of the Egyptians.

Len>The Bible does not have Jethro converting though some exegetes think he did

bob>I don't see how he could have said that without converting do you? 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 26) 
 40323.9 in reply to 40323.8 

Here's more, if interested.

Biblical Data:

Priest of Midian and father-in-law of Moses (Ex. iii. 1 et al.). In the account of the marriage of his daughter Zipporah to Moses (Ex. ii. 16-21), he is called "Reuel" ( = "God is his friend"; see also Hobab). Happening one day to be at the well where Jethro's daughters were drawing water for their flocks, Moses had occasion to defend them against some shepherds who attempted to drive them away. Jethro, out of gratitude, gave him his daughter Zipporah. After Moses and the Israelites had crossed the Red Sea Jethro went to Moses with the latter's wife and two sons (Ex. xviii. 1-5). When Moses told Jethro of all the miracles done for the Israelites by Yhwh, Jethro, rejoicing, exclaimed, "Now I know that the Lord is greater than all gods," and offered burnt offerings and sacrifices. Jethro advised Moses to appoint deputies to assist him to judge the Israelites and render his burdens lighter. After this Jethro returned to his own country (Ex. xviii. 8-27)

His names.

In Rabbinical Literature:

The different names of Jethro puzzled the Talmudists: some thought that his real name was "Hobab," and that Reuel was his father (see Hobab); others thought that his name was "Reuel," interpreting it "the friend of God" (see Jethro—Biblical Data, and comp. the view of some modern scholars, who hold that his name was "Reuel," and that "Jethro" was a title, "his Excellency"). According to Simeon b. Yo?ai, he had two names, "Hobab" and "Jethro" (Sifre, Num. 78). It is, however, generallyaccepted that he had seven names: "Reuel," "Jether," "Jethro," "Hobab," "Heber," "Keni" (comp. Judges i. 16, iv. 11), and "Putiel"; Eleazar's father-in-law (Ex. vi. 25) being identified with Jethro by interpreting his name either as "he who abandoned idolatry" or as "who fattened calves for the sake of sacrifices to the idol" (Ex. R. xxvii. 7; Mek., Yitro, 'Amale?, 1; Tan., Shemot, 11; comp. Targ. pseudo-Jonathan to Ex. vi. 25 and So?ah 44a).

Jethro together with Balaam and Job was consulted by Pharaoh as to the means for exterminating the children of Israel; and as he dissuaded Pharaoh from his design, he was recompensed in that his descendants, the Rechabites, sat with the Sanhedrin in the Temple (Sanh. 106a; Ex. R. i. 12; comp. I Chron. ii. 55). In Ex. R. xxvii. 5 it is said that Jethro and Amalek were consulted by Pharaoh, and that both advised him to throw the male children into the river; but, seeing that Amalek was excluded from both this and the future life (comp. Ex. xvii. 14), Jethro repented.

R. Joshua and R. Eleazar ha-Moda'i disagree as to Jethro's position in Midian: according to one, the words "kohen Midyan" mean that he was the priest of Midian; according to the other, "prince of Midian" (Mek. l.c.; Ex. R. xxvii. 2). The opinion that Jethro was a priest is met with in Ex. R. i. 35 and in Tan., Yitro, 5. It is further said (Ex. R. l.c.) that Jethro, having remarked that the worship of an idol was foolish, abandoned it. The Midianites therefore excommunicated him, and none would keep his flocks; so that his daughters were compelled to tend them and were ill-treated by the shepherds. This, however, is in conflict with another statement, to the effect that Jethro gave his daughter Zipporah to Moses on condition that their first son should be brought up in the worship of idols, and that Moses swore to respect this condition (Mek. l.c.; Yal?., Ex. 169).

Whether Jethro went to the wilderness before or after the Torah was given, and consequently what it was that induced him to go to the wilderness, are disputed points among the Rabbis (Zeb. 116a; Yer. Meg. i. 11; Mek. l.c.). According to some, it was the giving of the Torah; according to others, the crossing of the Red Sea dry-shod, or the falling of the manna.

Honored by Moses:

The manner in which Jethro announced his arrival to Moses is also variously indicated. According to R. Eliezer, Jethro sent a messenger; according to R. Joshua, he wrote a letter and tied it to an arrow which he shot into the camp. Moses did not go out alone to meet his father-in-law; but was accompanied by Aaron, Nadab, Abihu, and the seventy elders of Israel, in order to honor Jethro. Some say that even the Shekinah itself went out to meet him (Mek. l.c.; Tan., Yitro, 6). The words "wa-yi?ad Yitro" (Ex. xviii. 9), generally translated "and Jethro rejoiced," are interpreted by the Talmudists as "he circumcised himself"; or "he felt a stinging in his flesh"; that is to say, he was sorry for the loss of the Egyptians, his former coreligionists. By an interchange of the ? with the ?, the phrase would read "wa-yihad," meaning "he became a Jew" (Tan., Yitro, 5).

Jethro was the first to utter a benediction () to God for the wonders performed by Him for the Israelites (comp. Ex. xviii. 10). Such a thing had not been done either by Moses or by any of the Israelites (Sanh. l.c.; Mek. l.c. 2). Jethro knew that Yhwh was greater than all the gods (comp. Ex. xviii. 11), because he had previously worshiped all the idols of the world (Mek. l.c.; Tan. l.c.); but at the same time he did not deny to idols all divine power (Yal?., Ex. 269). According to R. Joshua, Moses purposely sent Jethro away in order that he should not be present at the revelation of the Law (comp. Ex. xviii. 27, Hebr.).

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/8620-jethro

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 26) 
 40323.10 in reply to 40323.8 

You can also say this without converting; right?

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-26
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.