Bible Topics & Bible Studies -  Hebrew Word: Sing to the Lord (96 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member IconJun-25 7:47 PM 
To: All  (1 of 6) 

Meaning: Sing to the Lord!

Translit: shi•ru la•do•nai

Praising God by singing is a beautiful and heart-lifting way of worship. The call to do so is: shi•ru la•do•nai, sing to the Lord.

We witness this call at least 20 times in the Bible; most of these mentions are in Psalms, but not only. Here is a call by Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron:

“And Miriam answered them, ‘Sing to the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously,’”

Exodus 15:21

Here is the Prophet Isaiah’s call:

“Sing to the Lord a new song, and his praise from the end of the earth, you who go down to the sea, and all that is in it; the islands, and their inhabitants”

Isaiah 42:10

The prophet, Jeremiah, finds saving the poor a reason for singing:

“Sing to the Lord, praise the Lord; for he has saved the soul of the poor from the hand of evildoers”

Jeremiah 20:13

Here is a universal call for all nations to sing to the Lord:

...[Message truncated]

Reply   Options 

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-26 9:01 AM 
To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 6) 
 40811.2 in reply to 40811.1 

bob>Sing to the lord was something I loved to do in my old Southern Baptist church when we had the ole hymns, today, I'm not that hot on worship music, but I guess it's because I'm old and I also expect a song to have a melody and words, not the same line to a flat melody over and over. but the young people love that so it's here to stay I guess. When we do an ole hymn, the melody is flattened and they get stuck on one verse, sometimes they insert a line and sing it over and over. I don't get it, I guess the Lord does. 

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member IconJun-26 11:07 AM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 6) 
 40811.3 in reply to 40811.2 

I'm with you on that! I was reading today that it only takes a generation to change the culture.  We see it in the church, too.  

Psalm119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path"

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-29 9:15 AM 
To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 6) 
 40811.4 in reply to 40811.3 

I'm with you on that! I was reading today that it only takes a generation to change the culture.  We see it in the church, too.

bob>The Jesus Freak movement of the 60's and 70's didn't change the culture, as it sought to follow the Christ of their parents in their own way. They had their own type of music, but it was still music. This later lead to the Mega churches of the 80' 90's, with it watered down religion and teaching, but it still reached millions This change today doesn't have much music, even though they sing the same flattened out melodies and repeat the same words over and over they seem to have drifted away from the willow creek stage productions which made the popular, No mini plays in service today, lots of milk, but they still save. Teaching is weak, but they reach millions so I want them to keep going. This political anarchic movement we see now, it's based on God at all, it lacks God and it's goal is not to reach Him, it's destructive so it can't have God. The way to stop this is with force, and prison terms, but we need the Christian base to come up and show a better way, It's not doing that.   

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member IconJun-29 9:51 AM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 6) 
 40811.5 in reply to 40811.4 

My point is that change comes and it's not always for the better. 

Psalm119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path"

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-29 1:22 PM 
To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 6) 
 40811.6 in reply to 40811.5 

My point is that change comes and it's not always for the better.

bob>Very true!

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.