Elaine's Corner and UK -  Daily Devotional (20222 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1166 of 1296) 
 12995.1166 in reply to 12995.1165 
? Clean

“You shall also make a laver of bronze...for washing; and you shall put it between the tent of meeting and the altar, and you shall put water in it.” Exodus 30:18 NASB

God’s directions were thorough. His people might have been in a wilderness, with no permanent homes. But He gave them specific commands about what they were to do the days they were to celebrate, the structures they were to build, and how they were to build them.

His directions were important because they conveyed deep, spiritual principles. We see this truth in His command about a laver. With great detail, He described how this laver was to be made. It was to be used by priests who were to wash their hands before offering sacrifices.

The laver performed an important role in Old Testament life (in the tabernacle and later the temple). But it also was an important teaching tool, symbolizing how people were to come into His presence.

The fact is that God is holy and cannot tolerate sin. Yet the Bible makes clear that all of us are sinners (Romans 3:23). So how do sinful people approach a holy God? The answer? We first need to be washed and clean. This is the process symbolized by the laver.

The Bible tells us that we are to come into His presence with “clean hands and a pure heart” (Psalm 24:4). This means searching our hearts and minds. Examining our lives and the things we have done. Our words and thoughts. And being washed of our sins.

We can be confident, for the Bible promises, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).

As we are clean, we can “enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise.” We can “be thankful to Him, and bless His name” (Psalm 100:4). For we are free and forgiven, ready to enter His presence.

Prayer
Father, I seek to be clean in Your sight. Forgive my sins. May my life be pleasing to You. In Jesus’ name. Amen. Pray that more lives would receive God’s forgiveness through Inspiration Ministries. 

Extended Reading
Exodus 30

Reply   Options 

To: All  (1167 of 1296) 
 12995.1167 in reply to 12995.1166 
Babbling Fools

“The wise in heart [are willing to learn so they] will accept and obey commands (instruction), but the babbling fool [who is arrogant and thinks himself wise] will come to ruin ... the babbling fool [who is arrogant and thinks himself wise] will come to ruin.” Proverbs 10:8-10 Amplified Bible

The Bible describes some people as “babbling fools.” These “arrogant” people just think themselves to be wise. And they talk a lot. The warning against them was so important that it was repeated within just a few verses.

In modern English, these could be called people who “pontificate,” a word defined as to “express one’s opinions in a pompous and dogmatic way.” These self-appointed prophets assume that they have the kind of authority of those chosen by God to deliver His messages. But those who pontificate can display their own pronouncements in politics and behavior, style and strategy, and other matters, including faith.

This sense of authority can be justified when God provides the inspiration. We see this when Moses announced His uncompromising laws, and prophets like Isaiah and Jeremiah declared His messages.

But the Bible also presents many examples of self-appointed prophets who were not called by God, who spoke on their own authority, perhaps even with good intentions. People who were “babbling fools.”

We may be able to recognize these traits in others. But the real challenge is having discernment about our own lives. To ask ourselves if we are guilty of being “babbling fools.” Are we really only interested in our own opinions? Would we rather pontificate than listen?

In contrast, some are “wise in heart.” These people are willing to stop talking and actually listen to others.

If we want to be wise, we will seek to be good listeners, not focused on our own opinions. Ultimately, this means listening to God. Seeking His wisdom. Being humble in His sight, ready to hear from Him. Open to the guidance, conviction, and instruction of His Spirit.

Prayer
Father, give me ears to hear from You. Help me to be a better listener. Free me from being focused on myself. In Jesus’ name. Amen. Pray that the staff of Inspiration Ministries would be better listeners. 

Extended Reading

Proverbs 10

To: All  (1168 of 1296) 
 12995.1168 in reply to 12995.1167 
Face to Face

“The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but his young aide Joshua son of Nun did not leave the tent.” Exodus 33:11 NIV

Several recent studies confirmed what many suspect. In general, people are poor listeners, and their listening skills deteriorate as they age.

Most people have the capacity to be good listeners, but too often they’re distracted and lose focus. While thinking they listen, many multitask and don’t give their full attention. Many try to keep track of other things simultaneously, but in the process, they miss important details. Others talk incessantly, more concerned with expressing their own ideas than listening.

The failure to listen carefully causes frustration in many relationships. When people treat us in these ways, they are delivering a clear message. Regardless of what they think, this indicates that we really don’t matter much to them. They don’t think enough of us to give us their time, to listen, and show they care.

It is one thing to be poor listeners in our relationships with other people. Yet many of us can be guilty of this same attitude in our relationship with God.

Consider things that some people do while claiming to “pray” or talk with Him: Looking around, reading, thinking about other things, listening to music, planning their schedules, evaluating what others are doing or thinking. Are these the actions of a person who is speaking with the Lord “face to face, as a man speaks with his friend”? What do these actions tell Him about our priorities? Our attitudes?

The fact is that people who really care genuinely listen. They are interested in us and want to hear our thoughts.

How much more should we focus on God when we are with Him. Like Moses, we should seek to talk with Him face-to-face. To demonstrate that He really is important to us.

Prayer
Father, You know everything about me. Help me to be honest with You. Thank You that You love me, and that I can trust You. In Jesus’ name. Amen. Pray that God would help Inspiration Ministries reach more in Europe with the Gospel. 

Extended Reading

Exodus 33

• Edited February 11, 2018 11:56 am  by  Dunggate

To: All  (1169 of 1296) 
 12995.1169 in reply to 12995.1168 

Honest with God

“When Moses had finished speaking with them, he put a veil on his face. But whenever Moses went in before the Lord...he would take the veil off until he came out; and he would come out and speak to the children of Israel whatever he had been commanded.” Exodus 34:33-34 NKJV

People throughout the Israelite camp could see the difference. Whenever Moses spent time with God, his countenance changed. He looked different. The change was so massive that he had to put a veil over his face so the people were not overwhelmed by the impact of God’s presence.

But when Moses came before the Lord, he took the veil off. Removing the veil was symbolic of an honest relationship. Moses recognized that God knew him more intimately than he knew himself. When he was with God, he could be transparent. There was no reason to cover up.

Other Israelites might have had opportunities to have this relationship, but they held back. Only Moses (and Joshua) were willing. God offers each of us the opportunity to have this kind of relationship with Him. But how will we respond?

Some are like the other Israelites, content to watch. Hiding. Refusing to enter into His presence. But some are like Moses. Willing to spend time alone with God. Willing to take off their masks, and be intimate and honest with Him. Willing to go beyond studying God to really knowing Him.

Ask yourself if you’re more like Moses or the other Israelites. How much do you really love spending time in His presence? Reading and studying His Word? Seeking His insights and wisdom?

In your life, seek to enter into God’s presence. Take off every mask. Be honest with Him. Wait. Meditate on His Word. Share every concern. Every fear. Every worry. Every problem. Every question.

Listen to His voice. And be ready to be changed.

Prayer
Father, help me to have a more intimate relationship with You. You know my every thought, and everything I do. Thank You that I can be honest with You. In Jesus’ name. Amen. Pray that the Inspiration Ministries’ staff would have a deeper commitment to prayer. 

Extended Reading
Exodus 34

To: All  (1170 of 1296) 
 12995.1170 in reply to 12995.1169 
Searching, Purifying

“For he knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust.” Psalm 103:14 ESV

Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. Traditionally, this was the time each year when Christians set aside the 40 days (not including Sundays) that lead up to Easter for prayer, reflection, and spiritual renewal.

Ash Wednesday gets its name from the practice of putting ashes on the forehead to remind Christians of the importance of humility, that we are but dust.

Forty days symbolized the time Jesus spent fasting and seeking God in the wilderness. Following His example, Christians were to dedicate a time each year to search their hearts and lives, purify themselves from sin, and seek God in a fresh way.

But the world has turned this time of spiritual renewal into a celebration of carnality and sin. Now, in some places, more attention is paid to Mardi Gras, the time of revelry just before Lent begins. The streets of some cities become scenes of unbridled hedonism and sensuality.

How much more important it is to remember all that Jesus did for us, and reflect on our lives. This is a time to be humble, but grateful as well. We can rejoice that God knows our nature. He remembers that “we are dust,” and He has told us that, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).

Today, spend time in prayer and quiet reflection. Allow God to search your heart, and reveal hidden sins, and habits that need to be changed. Then confess your sins. Be honest with God. Realize that you can trust Him, and be intimate with Him.

If you have confessed your sins, you can be confident that you have been forgiven. How wonderful to have your heart right with God! To be freed from the burdens of sin!

Prayer
Father, search my mind and heart. Reveal any sins in my life, or any thoughts, words, or deeds that displease You. Forgive my sins, and help me to please You. In Jesus’ name. Amen. Pray for God’s anointing on Inspiration Ministries’ Outreach staff. 
Extended Reading
Psalm 103

To: All  (1171 of 1296) 
 12995.1171 in reply to 12995.1170 
Miracles in the Desert

“The cloud covered the tent of meeting, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle. Moses was not able to enter the tent of meeting because the cloud had settled on it, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle.” Exodus 40:34-35 NASB

Imagine if you were Moses! He had just led the Israelites out of Egypt. They were in a wilderness with no permanent home, surrounded by potential adversaries. Just thinking about their daily needs could have been a monumental burden.

Then God gave Moses specific directions regarding the tabernacle and its furniture. How did Moses react?

God’s demands could have seemed unrealistic and impossible. They were to use specific types of wood and large quantities of gold to build everything to exacting specifications. How easy it would have been to question God, cut corners, and compromise. Yet in spite of constant obstacles, the tabernacle was completed in just a few months, exactly the way God had designed it.

God showed His approval by covering the tent with the cloud. His presence was so overwhelming that Moses could not even enter the building.

Through this response, God was demonstrating how He responds to those who believe Him, trust Him, and obey His Word. These are people who realize that He has given us the principles by which we should live. People who refuse to compromise, but remain committed to obey Him and follow His blueprint for living.

We see through the example here that God is ready abundantly to bless those who believe and obey Him.

The Bible assures us that God is ready to extend these same blessings for you. If you have the faith and courage to believe that His Word is true. If you will follow the patterns He has established and do things His way. If you will commit your life, without reservation, to serve Him and please Him.

Prayer
Father, I believe that Your Word is true. I commit my life to pleasing You. I believe that with You, all things are possible. Thank You for miracles! In Jesus’ name. Amen. Pray for God to perform miracles in the lives of Inspiration Ministries’ viewers. 
Extended Reading
Exodus 40

To: All  (1172 of 1296) 
 12995.1172 in reply to 12995.1171 
Miracles in the Desert

“The cloud covered the tent of meeting, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle. Moses was not able to enter the tent of meeting because the cloud had settled on it, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle.” Exodus 40:34-35 NASB

Imagine if you were Moses! He had just led the Israelites out of Egypt. They were in a wilderness with no permanent home, surrounded by potential adversaries. Just thinking about their daily needs could have been a monumental burden.

Then God gave Moses specific directions regarding the tabernacle and its furniture. How did Moses react?

God’s demands could have seemed unrealistic and impossible. They were to use specific types of wood and large quantities of gold to build everything to exacting specifications. How easy it would have been to question God, cut corners, and compromise. Yet in spite of constant obstacles, the tabernacle was completed in just a few months, exactly the way God had designed it.

God showed His approval by covering the tent with the cloud. His presence was so overwhelming that Moses could not even enter the building.

Through this response, God was demonstrating how He responds to those who believe Him, trust Him, and obey His Word. These are people who realize that He has given us the principles by which we should live. People who refuse to compromise, but remain committed to obey Him and follow His blueprint for living.

We see through the example here that God is ready abundantly to bless those who believe and obey Him.

The Bible assures us that God is ready to extend these same blessings for you. If you have the faith and courage to believe that His Word is true. If you will follow the patterns He has established and do things His way. If you will commit your life, without reservation, to serve Him and please Him.

Prayer
Father, I believe that Your Word is true. I commit my life to pleasing You. I believe that with You, all things are possible. Thank You for miracles! In Jesus’ name. Amen. Pray for God to perform miracles in the lives of Inspiration Ministries’ viewers. 
Extended Reading
Exodus 40

To: All  (1173 of 1296) 
 12995.1173 in reply to 12995.1165 
Depending on God

“Throughout all their journeys, the cloud of the Lord was on the tabernacle by day, and there was fire in it by night, in the sight of all the house of Israel.” Exodus 40:38 NASB

As the Israelites wandered in the wilderness, they began to understand more of what it meant to serve God. Facing a constant series of unknowns, they were forced to depend on Him. At times, they trusted, but often they complained and even worried, or were afraid.

They had to learn to trust God each day. He promised that His cloud would guide them, but would not reveal in advance how long they would stay in each place. In fact, when the cloud settled, they didn’t know if they would be there for days, weeks, or even years.

This meant that they continually had to be content where they were, but also to remain flexible, and ready to move at any time. To live by faith, always looking to God.

He was teaching them lessons that apply to us as well. He continually reminds us that He always is with us. That “Wisdom will be the stability of your times” (Isaiah 33:6). Like the Israelites, we always need to stay sensitive to His leading. Ready to stay or to move when He calls. Realizing that change could come at any time. We constantly need to trust Him and depend on Him, and trust Him to meet our needs.

The Bible reminds us that God alone knows the future. That we never know what will happen from day to day. In fact, our lives are just “a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.” We need to trust Him every step of the way, every day (James 4:13-15).

In your life, renew your commitment to follow God. Obey His Word. Seek His guidance. Trust Him, and be confident that He knows the future, and is ready to guide you and meet your needs.

Prayer
Father, I commit my way to You. Thank You for directing my path. I don’t lean on my own understanding but trust in You. In Jesus’ name. Amen. Pray for wisdom for David Cerullo and Inspiration Ministries’ management team. 

Extended Reading
Exodus 40

To: All  (1174 of 1296) 
 12995.1174 in reply to 12995.1173 

Jesus Calls Us

“There arose a great storm...the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep...[they] woke him...‘Save us, Lord; we are perishing.’...‘Why are you afraid, O you of little faith?’ Then he rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.” Matthew 8:24-26 ESV

Cecil Frances Humphreys Alexander had a passion for Christian education. Born in Ireland in 1818, she married a pastor. Through her husband’s connections, Cecil had access to many leaders, but she never forgot about common people.

Driven by her interest in Christian education, Cecil and her sister founded a school for the deaf, and she also set up the Girls’ Friendly Society. The sincerity and conviction of her faith shine through many of the hymns Cecil composed.

In 1852, she wrote “Jesus Calls Us,” for the Society for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge. She had responded to Jesus’ call and reminded believers that each of us has a special calling from God.

How often our lives can be like the “tumult” of a “wild, restless, sea.” Yet, we still can hear His “sweet voice” calling us to “follow Me!” We are to be like Andrew who left all that was familiar to him to follow Jesus.

Cecil knew how easily we can focus on worldly things. But “Jesus calls us from the worship of the vain world’s golden store.” Instead of pursuing idols, we should respond to Jesus’ call to “love Me more!”

No matter how we spend our lives, Jesus still calls us to love Him more. In our joys and sorrows, in “days of toil and hours of ease.” Her prayer was that we would hear His call, and give our hearts to “serve and love Thee best of all.”

Remember that Jesus loves you, and has a special calling for you. Listen to His voice. Seek to love Him more.

Prayer
Dear Lord Jesus, I commit my life to following You. I dedicate my time, talent, and treasure to Your Kingdom. Use me to impact others. In Your name. Amen. Pray for an outpouring of peace on the staff of Inspiration Ministries. 

Extended Reading
Matthew 8

To: All  (1175 of 1296) 
 12995.1175 in reply to 12995.1174 
Pilgrims

“We are aliens and pilgrims before You, as were all our fathers; our days on earth are as a shadow, and without hope.” 1 Chronicles 29:15 NKJV

When he was 31, John Bunyan was arrested for preaching the Gospel. Refusing to compromise, he spent 12 years in prison. But these years weren’t wasted. There he wrote several of history’s most important books, including Pilgrim’s Progress.

Writing in allegorical terms, Bunyan illustrated the challenges faced by all believers. He described how a young man (“Christian”) journeyed toward his ultimate home in the “Celestial City.” This journey brought him to places with vivid names, such as Vanity Fair, the Slough of Despond, the Hill of Difficulty, Lucre Hill, Doubting Castle, and Mount Caution. Along the way, he was distracted and deceived by people such as Obstinate, Mistrust, Talkative, Envy, and Little-faith. But Christian was encouraged and helped by characters like Evangelist, Faithful, Good Will, Hopeful, Knowledge, Experience, Watchful, and Sincere. The names and characteristics of these people were reminders of Biblical principles that can help us on our journey.

Yet Christian struggled, forced to decide between compromise and faithfulness. He continually wondered how to react to people and situations. In the end, he persevered.

Pilgrim’s Progress, first published on this day in 1678, has been widely read, and is a source of great encouragement. Next to the Bible, it was the most read book during early American history. Countless thousands have been impacted by Bunyan’s imagery of the struggles faced by Christian and the way to walk in victory.

Each of us is reminded that we all are pilgrims on a journey through life. We face real temptations, opposition, and dangers, and we can’t make it on our own. We need the help of other believers. Most of all, we need to depend on God, drawing on His Spirit, standing on His Word.

Prayer
Father, help me to stay faithful to You on my journey through life. Thank You that You are present with me. Give me discernment and strength. In Jesus’ name. Amen. Pray that the Inspiration Ministries’ staff would have a strong spiritual foundation. 
Extended Reading
1 Chronicles 29

Navigate this discussion: 1-5 6-15 16-25 ... 1146-1155 1156-1165 1166-1175 1176-1185 1186-1195 ... 1276-1285 1286-1295 1296
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.