Elaine's Corner and UK -  Michael D. Inman (17463 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1008 of 1067) 
 7568.1008 in reply to 7568.1007 
Date: February 8, 2018 at 12:18 AM
Topic: +DEV+. A More Excellent Name

A More Excellent Name

The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word.  Hebrews 1:3a
Scripture Focus: Hebrews 1

When you start your prayer time intentional about expressing adoration to God, consider the introduction to the book of Hebrews. The writer compares the surpassing glory of Jesus to that of the angels. The Bible does give us some descriptions of angels. We have ideas about their appearance that have worked their way into our art forms, our literature, and our songs. But in every aspect, Jesus exceeds the angels, superior to them, as the writer of Hebrews says. In Christ, we have the most perfect image of God. Because of Jesus, we understand better God's nature, power, and glory. Jesus told His disciples, "Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father" (John 14:9b). Therefore in Christ we find the most perfect revelation of God. And His name is more excellent than any of the angels because it is the name of the Lord. Perhaps your words of adoration in prayer would say, "Lord, you are our great high priest, more excellent than the heavenly hosts. You uphold the universe and dwell among us. You are worthy to be praised!"

Insight: Jesus Christ is not just a man. He is fully God and fully man, the perfect image of God and worthy of all praise.

Please feel free to use this devotional to send on to your friends or share with your church fellowship and Bible study groups.

We are in need of Prayer and financial partners,
If you would like to become a prayer partner and or a financial partner with monthly or one time gifts.
A freewill offering to Restoration Ministry may be made via PayPal at our web site:    http://www.rollanet.org/~restore/donations.htm

Michael D. Inman

Reply   Options 

To: All  (1009 of 1067) 
 7568.1009 in reply to 7568.1008 
Date: February 8, 2018 at 11:51 PM

Topic: +DEV+  A Consuming Fire

A Consuming Fire

Mount Sinai was covered with smoke, because the Lord descended on it in fire. The smoke billowed up from it like smoke from a furnace, and the whole mountain trembled violently.  Exodus 19:18

Exodus 19
Far from displaying just entertaining theatrics, the Lord descends upon the earth in visible power. At the time of the Exodus, the Israelites were warned that if they so much as touched Mount Sinai, they would die. From the priests to the animals in their midst, any living thing that touched the foot of the mountain would meet with certain death. The Lord God is a holy God. Anytime a man forgot his place and breached the divide between holy and common, it never ended well for him (2 Samuel 6:7). Israel trembled in fear when they saw the Lord descend. They felt that reverential awe caused by a right understanding of God. Godly fear is a knowledge of unworthiness, a fear which puts man in his place. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge" (Proverbs 1:7). As you come to the Lord in prayer, be in awe of who and what He is. Let the very first words to Him voice your adoration for His magnificence. Stand in awe of who God is: your consuming fire, the One who conquered the flames of eternal death for you.

INSIGHT: "Let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our 'God is a consuming fire.'" (Hebrews 12:28b-29)

Please feel free to use this devotional to send on to your friends or share with your church fellowship and Bible study groups.

If you would like to become a prayer partner and or a financial partner with monthly or one time gifts.
A freewill offering to Restoration Ministry may be made via PayPal at our web site:    http://www.rollanet.org/~restore/donations.htm

Michael D. Inman

To: All  (1010 of 1067) 
 7568.1010 in reply to 7568.1009 
Topic: +DEV+. Radiance and Glory
Radiance and Glory

…high above on the throne was a figure like that of a man, This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. When I saw it, I fell facedown,…  Ezekiel 1:26b, 28b

Ezekiel 1

Now that we are several days into our meditations on adoration in prayer, are you finding your thoughts of expressing adoration to God expanding? Remember that the Hebrews writer told us Christ is the radiance of the glory of God. In today's Old Testament passage, Ezekiel paints another picture of the glory of God. And it is spectacular! In his vision Ezekiel sees the likeness of a man on a throne, one whose splendor is but a glimpse of the glory of the Lord. By reading this Old Testament passage in light of Hebrews, we know that it is Jesus whom Ezekiel is seeing on the throne. And what can Ezekiel do but fall to his face on the ground in awe? Worship is the proper response to the holy nature of God. Our fallen hearts are so hardened that we fail to glorify and worship Him as He properly deserves. Worship and awe should characterize the Christian life, for we know better than anyone else the deep love and unparalleled character of the Lord. We have to worship! Speak words of adoration as you begin a prayer to Him today.

Insight: Today's Christians know the Lord in ways Old Testament saints would have only dreamed of. Our response: adoration resulting in worship.

Michael D. Inman

To: All  (1011 of 1067) 
 7568.1011 in reply to 7568.1010 
Date: February 14, 2018 at 12:51 AM

Topic: +DEV+. A Vision of Heaven

A Vision of Heaven

They lay their crowns before the throne and say: "You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being."  Revelation 4:10b-11

Scripture Focus: Revelation 4

Today we turn to the book of Revelation for this devotion on adoration in prayer. We find the 24 elders of the church worshiping the Lord in heaven-day and night they never stop. Whenever the living creatures around the throne worship, so do the elders. It has been said that when we get to heaven, one of the things that will amaze us most is that we didn't love God more. I believe that these passages show us just that. Here are created men with all the frailties and limitations natural to human life. Yet when we see them in heaven, they devote their entire time to worshiping God. He is good enough, deep enough, wonderful and majestic enough that there is no boredom in perpetual worship. Sitting in church all day listening to a pastor-even the very best pastor!- could not be compared to worshiping in the presence of God. We may grow tired and weary as we worship now, but in heaven we will be refreshed with living water. The One we worship is all-sufficient for us, all-knowing, and all-worthy of our praise.

Insight: Know who it is you worship, and that will drive your worship and compel you to adore Jesus!

Michael D. Inman

To: All  (1012 of 1067) 
 7568.1012 in reply to 7568.1011 
Date: February 15, 2018 at 1:31 AM

Topic: +DEV. I Can See Clearly Now

I Can See Clearly Now

'Woe to me!' I cried. 'I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.'  Isaiah 6:5

Scripture Focus: Isaiah 6

In our ACTS acronym for prayer, the C stands for confession. It is good to follow the opening adoring parts of prayer with heartfelt admission of sin and repentance. Confessing and asking for forgiveness is like clearing the air before speaking with someone you know you've wronged. An old song says, "I can see clearly now the rain is gone." It's somewhat like that for Isaiah. When his character is displayed against the holiness of God, the veil of ignorance is torn down. Often we see ourselves as good when we look out on the world. When we see horrors in suffering, crime, slavery, and war, it is easy to compare ourselves and think we are clean. We say, "Sure I sin, but not like that." Yet compared with Him who dwells in unapproachable light, we are utterly depraved. Confession of sin is the proper response. We can't take away our own sin; only God can do that through His Son. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9)

Prayer A.C.T.S.

Adoration

Confession

Thanksgiving

Supplication

Insight: Confession of sins is the natural response to God's holiness. Once our sinful blinders are removed, we can see our sin for what it is.

Michael D. Inman

To: All  (1013 of 1067) 
 7568.1013 in reply to 7568.1012 
Date: February 16, 2018 at 1:54 AM
Topic: +DEV+. Seek and Turn

Seek and Turn
"If my people, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."   2 Chronicles 7:14

Scripture Focus: 2 Chronicles 7

After Solomon finished the temple in Jerusalem, the glory of the Lord filled it. That night, appearing to King Solomon, God promised that when the people sought Him and turned from their sins, He would hear their prayers and restore them. Though these words were directed to the son of David thousands of years ago, the Lord desires the same for us. He assures us that when we seek Him and turn from our sins, He forgives. He has given us the Holy Spirit in degrees even beyond which the Old Testament saints enjoyed. His Spirit works in us both to seek and to turn. The more we draw near to God and understand His holiness, the more our sin grieves us. It becomes clear that we are not dealing with just the breaking of this rule or that; sin has tainted every part of our being so that even our best acts are like filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6). As we see our sin for what it is, grasping the depth of it, we repent. May He draw us ever closer to Him, show us our sin, and grant us forgiveness. Confess to the Lord in prayer.

Insight: In response to the love shown to us in Christ, run to your Savior, not from Him.

Michael D. Inman

To: All  (1014 of 1067) 
 7568.1014 in reply to 7568.1013 
Date: February 19, 2018 at 1:57 AM

Topic: +DEV+  Seek the Lord

Seek the Lord
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call on him while he is near. Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts. Let him turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy,  Isaiah 55:6-7

Scripture Focus: Isaiah 55

The Lord cries out through Isaiah to His people, urging them to turn from their sins and turn from the hardness of their hearts. Repent while there is time! This passage is a serious reminder to all of us that a time is drawing ever closer when repentance will no longer be open to the sons of man. There is but one life, and then there is judgment. Many different cults have spread the lie that after death there is another chance to repent. Such a view is utterly outside the bounds of Scripture. The prophets called Israel to repentance, but many were hard-hearted and perished. This same sobering call now goes out to the nations and to us. But take heart, Christian! You need not fear of judgement day, for you are cleansed in the blood of the Lamb. While you are called to repent daily of your sin and become more and more like Jesus, you can do so not out of fear, but out of love. Lay all your sin down before Him; He paid for it at the cross so you could draw close to your Beloved as a bride does to her husband.

INSIGHT: Make repentance a part of your prayer, for the Lord greatly desires His bride to be conformed to His image.

Michael D. Inman

To: All  (1015 of 1067) 
 7568.1015 in reply to 7568.1014 
Date: February 21, 2018 at 1:20 AM

Topic: +DEV+. Blessed Is the One
Blessed Is the One

When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long, Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity, and you forgave the guilt of my sin.  Psalm 32:3, 5

Scripture Focus: Psalm 32

The psalmist admits the pain of hidden sin. Every one of us, of course, is familiar with the reality of our secret sins. The people around us each day may be none the wiser, but our God sees and knows all. The psalmist confesses the weight and groaning he suffered, knowing himself to be unrighteous and yet pretending otherwise. It's exhausting living that kind of double life, isn't it? Were the psalm to stop there, we'd have little hope. But it continues. There is One who is faithful and just to forgive. What if you confess a hidden sin to someone who then will not forgive you? This is a very real possibility. The comfort the psalmist gives us is that our Lord promises His unfailing love will surround us (vs. 10). We are counted among the blessed (vs. 1) because our faithful Lord forgives those who confess their sins. We can delight in the freedom of forgiveness. Hidden sin will eat away at the core of our being, robbing us of our strength. Instead, confess, be cleansed and restored. And count your blessings!
Insight: We are called to confess our sin to a gracious and forgiving God who has already paid the price for it.

Michael D. Inman

To: All  (1016 of 1067) 
 7568.1016 in reply to 7568.1015 
Date: March 8, 2018 at 1:03 AM
Topic: +DEV+. Confess and Forsake

Confess and Forsake

He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy. Blessed is the man who always fears the Lord, but he who hardens his heart falls into trouble.  Proverbs 28:13-14

Scripture Focus: Proverbs 28

Today in Proverbs we return to the familiar biblical theme that the Lord promises mercy and grace to those who turn from their sins and repent. The entire 28th chapter is a contrast between the ways of the wicked and the ways of the righteous. And in the exact middle of the chapter is this particular passage of confession and forsaking sin. As Christians we are well aware that we do not live perfectly before God. We all have fallen short. Yet we also know that there is mercy to be found at the cross. Do not hide your sin or pretend to be clean. The guilt and sense of an owed debt will not just fade away if you give it enough time. But the grace the Lord promises and is known for will wash over your sin because Jesus came to pay the price. In Christ we know the mercy of God, we know the grace of God, we know the provision He has made. You can know the feeling of a weight lifted from your shoulders because your Savior bore a cross on His shoulders for you. In light of His mercy, confess your sin to Him now.

Insight: Daily confessing your sins to your heavenly Father will help you grow ever closer to the giver of good gifts.

Michael D. Inman

To: All  (1017 of 1067) 
 7568.1017 in reply to 7568.1016 
Date: March 16, 2018 at 12:45 AM
Topic: +DEV+. Adoration to Confession
Adoration to Confession

O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love,, we have sinned and done wrong. We have been wicked and have rebelled; we have turned away from your commands and laws.  Daniel 9:4-5

Scripture Focus: Daniel 9

Daniel's prayer starts not with what he wants from God, but rather with a declaration of the character of God. He then contrasts the faithfulness of God with the faithlessness of His people. And that leads to his confession. Our prayers could follow this same pattern. Who of us isn't consumed with the wants and needs of our daily lives? But when we dwell on the attributes of God first, we are driven to confession. The first week of this month's devotions encouraged us to look at that character and voice our awe. This week we are seeing our sins thrown into stark contrast with the goodness, holiness, and faithfulness of God. Our confession isn't just that we've sinned; it's also all the specific ways that we have. And while the Lord desires our confession of sin, He desires all the more our turning from it. Daniel says, "We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy" (vs. 18). That mercy is shown forth most excellently in Christ Jesus. Therefore, we pray in His name.

Insight: In Christ we have forgiveness. We do not have to fear the loss of God's love; rather we please Him as we come in repentance.

Michael D. Inman

Navigate this discussion: 1-7 8-17 18-27 ... 988-997 998-1007 1008-1017 1018-1027 1028-1037 1038-1047 1048-1057 1058-1067
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.