Elaine's Corner and UK -  Welcome to the Nugget (17990 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (794 of 920) 
 7720.794 in reply to 7720.793 
Welcome to the Nugget

February 8, 2018

Maman, Adieu!
Part 2: How to Avoid a Meltdown

By Answers2Prayer 
It was Tuesday, February 7, when we received the unwelcome news that "Maman", my precious mother-in-law, was considered to be imminently palliative. We immediately began making plans for an emergency trip to Europe, and you can imagine the hustle and bustle as we went into overdrive, running on pure adrenaline, to ensure we had a place to stay, a vehicle, that our animals would be cared for, etc. And of course, there were mega-arrangements to make at both of our places of work for our extended leaves of absence. Combine this with the emotional turmoil of knowing we would soon lose our precious Maman and that it might happen before we could make the transatlantic flight to Belgium to see her one last time, and you will understand why I was very close to a major meltdown. It was in the midst of this adrenaline-fueled marathon that God reached out to me through each of my boys, respectively, to teach me two very important lessons...

It began with my older son. "How are you doing?" was his text to me. This is his invitation to provide emotional support, and my response was, "It's been rough". Of course he wanted to know what, specifically, was wrong, and my text back to him said something about, busyness, arrangements to make, emotional turmoil, etc. 

I should have expected the content of his response; nonetheless, I was blown away to learn that he had also experienced a "rough" day and for the very same reasons...It made me sit back and think. Here I was so concerned about myself and my own problems that it didn't occur to me that my son would also be struggling with the imminent loss of his grandmother. Under other circumstances I would have been in tune to this, but my own problems and stresses, albeit very valid ones, had blown themselves up so much in my mind that they completely blocked me from being able to see that my son was also hurting! And yet, here he was, offering ME emotional support...

What a powerful lesson. It doesn't matter how valid, how big, how encompassing our problems are, they should NEVER be allowed to keep us from seeing the needs of others!

In a communication with my younger son, it became apparent that he, too, was struggling--not with a very "rough" day, but a very "rough" last two weeks. Whenever your kids hurt, you hurt; and this, on top of the rest, was the last straw for me. As I began to allow thoughts of self-pity and insecurity pull me towards the ever-familiar path of depression, I was suddenly overcome with the burden to pray for someone. 

Now normally when I am headed towards full-blown depression, I ignore such burdens. Especially if I didn't have a clue who or what I was supposed to be praying for, as was the case that night. After all, weren't my own needs bigger at that moment than whatever God was urging me to pray about? 

This time, however, the burden to pray actually made me recognize that I was heading down a dangerous, slippery slope. I turned to God, I renounced my self-pity, my insecurity and my depression, and I began to pray in the Spirit. 

Interestingly, after spending time in prayer, my own emotions stabilized. Gone was the depression, the self-pity, the insecurity. The upcoming trip to Europe and its emotional baggage were still there, but I knew that with God on my side, we would make it through. And with that truth, my mini-meltdown was over.

It was two days later that one of the special people in my life texted me. She battles crippling anxiety, and I had previously asked her to contact me the moment the anxiety began to creep in. She told me in her text that she had been struggling with anxiety around the same time I had almost ignored the burden to pray. Praise be to God, she had just experienced two peaceful days...

Coincidence? 

I don't think so, and herein lies the second important lesson I learned that week: When we pray for others despite the magnitude of what we, ourselves, are going through, we will see our own problems shrink back to their real size as they come under the blood of Jesus.

Doesn't the Bible tell us to encourage one another? "So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing." (1 Thess. 5:11 NLT). Doesn't the bible teach that we receive comfort from God so that we can pass it on to others? "He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us." (2 Cor. 1:4 NLT).

No matter what it is you are battling this week, I urge each of you to try to consider the needs of others as far more important than your own. Resolve to put the needs of others first, for you can be sure that when you do, you can trust God to take care of your own problems! 

And let's pray for God's help in remembering these two valuable lessons...

Join us on Saturday for a lesson in God's perfect timing, even through death, in "Maman, Adieu", Part 3. 

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

A
...[Message truncated]

Reply   Options 

To: All  (795 of 920) 
 7720.795 in reply to 7720.794 
Welcome to the Nugget
February 10, 2018
Maman, Adieu!
Part 3: God's Timing is Always...Right!

By Answers2Prayer 
  When you know the death of someone you love is imminent, all you can think about is seeing that person again before they go. Especially if an ocean lies between you. Unfortunately, however, the labour laws of our country dictate that we can only receive leaves-of-absence from work with pay--after a death has occured. That meant that in order to see Maman, my mother-in-law, again, we would either have to make two last-minute and expensive trips to Europe, one without pay, or we would not see her before she passed away. There didn't seem to be any compromise. If we only knew exactly when her time would be, we would be able to accomplish both goals with one trip; but since we didn't possess a crystal ball, there was no way to know when would be the best time to make that transatlantic flight. 

Some time between the initial scare and the second, real report that Maman wasn't expected to live, my husband received two funny messages from God. He was about to watch a DVD that he had used to record random TV shows. There is no real way to know what show will come up next, but as he put the disc in the player, he heard God's voice: "It will be NCIS." And it was.

Wait. Why would God care to tell my husband what show he would watch on TV?

Two minutes later, he reached for a chewable Vitamin C. There are four flavours of these particular Vitamin C tablets, all colour-coded; but when you blindly reach into the jar, there is no way to know which flavour you will get. As his fingers began to fish out a tablet, he again heard God's voice: "It will be green." And it was.

Wait. What was going on? 

God then spoke again: "If I can tell you what show you will watch and what colour your Vitamin C tablet will be, then can't you trust Me to tell you when it is the right time to fly to Belgium?"

Two weeks later, on Tuesday, February 7, we got the call: Maman was only expected to be with us another few days. Because we had received a similar call two weeks earlier that had turned out to be a false alarm, we weren't sure what to do; but remembering the message from the TV show and the Vitamin C, my husband and I began to pray. The next morning, God told Rob that it was time to make our flight arrangements, and He told me that Maman had exactly seven days to live. 

We couldn't fly until Saturday, and given the timechange, along with the fact that it was an overnight flight, we arrived in Belgium Sunday morning, February 12. We drove to the nursing home to find that Maman was having a good day. She was alert, she obviously knew who we were, and every few minutes she would smile at us. She even drank some water, which she hadn't done in several days. In all, she was at peace. 

The next day, Monday, February 13, she was in a semi-comatose state. She wouldn't eat or drink, her eyes were glazed over, and by the end of the day her breathing had become shallow. We asked the nurses to call us at our hotel if her condition changed, and that call came in at 3:15 in the morning. We hurried to the home and were able to hold her hands as she went to sleep in the arms of Jesus. 

Only afterwards would we realize that it was Tuesday, February 14, exactly seven days after God had told me she would be with us exactly seven more days...

But God had only begun to reveal His perfect timing. My husband had three unused personal days he could take from work, along with his five days of bereavement. We had felt led to book our return flights 12 days after leaving Canada, on Thursday of the following week. As it turned out, there was a statutory holiday during that upcoming week, and my husband was able to make the entire trip without losing pay.  

But with Maman passing away so early in our trip, what would we do with the ten days that remained of our booked-off time?

God had it all under control. The earliest date for the funeral was the upcoming Monday. We also wouldn't have the death certificate--the piece of paper critical for the settlement of the estate--until Monday. Interestingly, this also allowed our oldest son time to fly in from Canada for his grandmother's funeral. 

We then learned that the burial couldn't happen until Tuesday. Tuesday afternoon was also the only time we would be able to see the notary to make arrangements for settling the estate. As it turned out, the days between the death and the funeral were just the right number to accommodate cleaning out my mother-in-law's room, purchasing gifts for those who were helping us out at home, and celebrating our son's 24th birthday. 

And finally, because our return flight on Thursday was early in the morning, we would have to move from Ostend (on the coast) to Louvin (near Brussels) on Wednesday. God had quite literally impressed us to book off the perfect number of days! 

Somehow just knowing that God cared enough to work out the timing so perfectly helped us to know--and trust--that He would also help us through our grief... 

Remember this Truth: "In an acceptable time I have heard you, and in the day of salvation I have helped you. Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation." (2 Corinthians 6: 2 NKJV). God's timing is perfect. All the time. Even when we don't see, He does; and we can trust Him to tell us when the time is right, no matter what the situation. 

There was just one more lesson God had for me through this ordeal. Please join us on Tuesday for
...[Message truncated]

To: All  (796 of 920) 
 7720.796 in reply to 7720.795 
Welcome to the Nugget

February 13, 2018

Maman, Adieu!
Part 4: Carrying us Through the Hard Times...

By Answers2Prayer 
  When you are grieving the inevitable loss of someone you care about, it is sometimes hard to see anything other than the pain of grief. Nonetheless, God is there, and no matter how much it hurts, He sends little "gifts" along the way to help ease that pain. This was the all-important final lesson God had for me through the loss of Maman, my precious mother-in-law. I don't know how many beautiful little "gifts" He sent before I started watching for them, but once we were aboard the aircraft for our transatlantic flight, He finally got my attention...

Although we had booked our flight through Air Canada, and although we held Air Canada tickets in our hands, we were actually aboard a Brussels Air aircraft. What a blessing of God this would turn out to be... 

First of all, this particular aircraft had a bit more leg room than most, and for an overseas flight, this is a very good thing. Secondly, we were quite naturally sad; but when the safety demonstration was done with a twist of quirky Belgian humor, it lifted our spirits. 

We were only about 45 minutes into our flight when the next blessing came about. The attendants came around with supper trays: "Would you like chicken or fish?" With both of us choosing a vegetarian lifestyle, and with me being intolerant to gluten and dairy, we definitely have to order our meals in advance. In our haste to book our flights, we hadn't even considered that we would be served supper, and I simply shook my head and assured the flight attendant we had some sandwiches. She looked a bit concerned when she left, and it wasn't long before another flight attendant stood beside us with a tray: "You need a vegetarian meal?" As he handed me the tray, I instantly noted it was both gluten--and dairy--free. Wait. How did he know? "You wouldn't happen to have another one, would you?" I asked, indicating my husband's empty tray table. Moments later, he came back, this time with a lovely pasta dish. Now this man also had no way of knowing our individual dietary needs. How was it that there just "happened" to be two "extra" vegetarian dishes, one that was perfect for each of us? 

Perhaps the biggest airline blessing, however, was that our flight was almost empty. This meant that there were many entire rows of empty seats, and as this was an overnight flight, we were each able to have our own "row" to lay down. 

It was in all, a flight full of blessings, and all because God knew Air Canada would put us aboard a Brussels Air aircraft.

Once in Brussels, God had yet another blessing for us. The small car we had reserved had been upgraded to a larger one, one that was actually big enough not only for our luggage, but also for our son, who would be arriving in a few days, and his luggage. 

The weather was another blessing. Though it was February, the temperatures averaged about 10 degrees C (50 F.). The grass was green, and the trees were ready to burst into bloom. The bulbs were all coming up, and a few of the earliest spring flowers had already begun to blossom. In all, God was painting us a beautiful picture, one that would help distract us from the sad moments ahead. 

Our rented room was another gift of God. For only 23 euros per person per night, we had an entire house, complete with washing machine. Our hosts were also wonderful. On our final day, they took us into their home, served us refreshments, and we talked for over an hour.

The list of blessings could go on and on, but perhaps the greatest blessing was that Maman knew we were there and knew who we were. This helped us so much when her status took a turn for the worst the following day. We felt so blessed to have had that one good day and then to have been able to hold her hand and as she went forever to the kingdom of God... 

Death. It was never in God's original, perfect plan; yet because of sin, it is such a part of life. When a loved one dies, it hurts so much; yet God WILL walk with us every step of the way, for He knows how much it hurts to lose a loved one to death. He WILL hold our hand, He WILL hold us up, and as we make the long and painful walk through the valley of grief, He will send us His mercies and blessings every step of the way. 

Our job? We are to simply notice His mercies and give Him the praise. 

I hope none of you are facing the death of a loved one, but life dictates that likely many of you are doing just that. Remember to watch for God's blessings and allow Him to get you through, for: "This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him." (Ps. 91:2 NLT)

Maman loved God very much, and we have no doubts that she is now with Jesus. She would have wanted nothing more than for the circumstances surrounding her death to be a blessing to other people, and it is for this reason that I have penned this short series. If you are grieving the loss of a loved one, please email me. If you have missed any of the former lessons in the "Maman, Adieu" mini-series, you can access them by clicking here. Otherwise, email me and I will send them to you. God bless each of you as you go through the difficult valleys that are on your path today. 

In His love,
Lyn 

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scri
...[Message truncated]

To: All  (797 of 920) 
 7720.797 in reply to 7720.796 
Welcome to the Nugget

February 17, 2018

Mountain Range of Troubles
By Answers2Prayer 
  Isn't it interesting how troubles always seem to come in bunches? It isn't a "mountain" of trouble, it's a "mountain range"!

As I come off a current "mountain range" of problems, I have to wonder: Wouldn't each of these trials have been easier to take one at a time? Take my dog being sick, for example, and me having to clean up multiple spots from the carpet. Wouldn't that have been easier to deal with if I had arrived home from work on time? And the cleaning up would certainly not have been so painful if I hadn't just sprained my wrist. And wouldn't the wrist sprain have been easier if it weren't for the fact that we were on "high alert" to drop everything and fly to Europe? If it weren't for the fact that my mother-in-law didn't not have much longer to live? And wouldn't that have been easier to work through if we hadn't had sick staff at work, making the work load of the rest of us double and requiring that we all work several hours of overtime? And wouldn't the extra time at work have been easier to manage if I hadn't also been sick with the same bug? And since all the above took away my time to do things at home in the evenings, wouldn't it have all been easier if I hadn't had to deal with another family emergency on the weekend, thus taking away any "catch-up" time I had?

Back in 2012, when I was going through some serious health concerns, I remember asking God why it all had to come in bunches. I mean, wouldn't the torn rotator cuff have been so much easier to deal with if it hadn't been for the accompanying frozen shoulder? And wouldn't the shoulder issues have seemed less daunting if I hadn't just broken two ribs and injured my calf in two separate accidents? And God, wouldn't it all have been easier to manage if it hadn't been for that cancer diagnosis? 

I could give many more examples, but I think you get the picture. In fact, you could insert into this devotional multiple examples of your own "mountain range" of problems. For whatever reason, it never seems to be the case that we deal with just one problem at a time. In fact, I would say that 10 seems to be the norm! 

So how should we react?

The prophet Micah gives us some clues. Micah prophesied at a time when the Babylonian captivity of Judah was an imminent reality. Troubles were piling up for the people of Jerusalem and Judah, and the worst was yet to come: "Why do you now cry aloud--have you no king? Has your ruler perished, that pain seizes you like that of a woman in labor?" (Micah 4:9 NIV)

Any woman who has ever given birth knows exactly what pain the prophet is speaking of here. In fact, Micah, being a man, probably had less idea than we women do. Yes, the pains of labour are an excellent description of how this mountain range of problems feels at the moment!

What does Micah tell us to do?

"Writhe in agony, Daughter Zion, like a woman in labor..." (Micah 4:10a NIV)

Excellent advice, Micah. You obviously have never been there. Labor is said to be the worst pain known to mankind...

But Micah is heartless: "...for now you must leave the city to camp in the open field. You will go to Babylon..." (Micah 4:10b NIV)

In other words, we need to face that labor pain, because we WILL go through illness. Our troubles WILL pile up against us. The loss of our loved one WILL be coupled with sprained wrists, sick dogs, illness and other family problems. That cancer diagnosis WILL come at a time when troubles are already abounding. We WILL lose that house in the middle of winter. That relationship WILL fall apart in the face of all those financial concerns: "...for now you MUST leave the city to camp in the open field. You will go to Babylon..." 

Some comfort, Micah! 

So where is the advice I promised? 

It was there in the opening line of vs. 10. Did you catch it? 

"Writhe in agony, Daughter Zion, like a woman in labor..."

Let's not forget that labor pain does not last forever. It can sometimes last hours, even days, but in the end, all the pain results in the birth of a beautiful baby. This is the advice that Micah gives us when we are going through that mountain range of trouble: Face them like you would face labor pains. Charge in courageously, ever knowing that it will be temporary; and once on the other side, it will be worth it.

Not convinced? I'm not sure Judah would have been, either, except for the last line of vs. 10: "...there you will be rescued. There the Lord will redeem you out of the hand of your enemies." (Micah 4:10c NIV)

Whatever mountain range of problems assaults you today, face it like you would labor, ever knowing that God will get you through, and in the end, rescue and redemption!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.
...[Message truncated]

To: All  (798 of 920) 
 7720.798 in reply to 7720.797 
Welcome to the Nugget

Februry 20, 2018

When a Morlistic Mission goes awry, Part 1

By Answers2Prayer 
   Heard of anecdotes when something done with an apparently good intention, but done in the wrong way, went haywire? Here's one for starters... 

Who can forget a school time story often told to emphasize the importance of proper usage of punctuation marks? It is said that on account of a last-minute Presidential pardon, a convict's death sentence by hanging was slashed. But unfortunately, due to improper usage of a comma, the wired message to the Prison (sent in a hurry), where this convict was to be executed, read: "Hang him, not release him" instead of the supposed "Hang him not, release him". 

Coming to the spiritual realm...St. Jerome, the patron saint of translators, studied Hebrew so he could translate the Old Testament into Latin from the original language instead of from the third century Greek version that everyone else had used. The resulting Latin version, known as, "The Vulgate", which became the basis for hundreds of subsequent translations, contained a famous mistake. When Moses comes down from Mount Sinai, his head has "radiance" or, in Hebrew, "karan." But Hebrew is written without the vowels, and St. Jerome had read "karan" as "keren" or "horned." From this error came centuries of paintings and sculptures of Moses with horns. Even the great renaissance artist Michael Angelo sculpted Moses with a horn, and thus, the odd offensive stereotype of the "horned Jew" was born. 

While at best (or worst...Sic), the resultant damage may have been limited to some Jewish sentiments getting rubbed the wrong way courtesy this semantic error of that great Saint, there was nothing as catastrophic as the loss of life, nor was any incumbent King left with egg on his face, so to speak. Now welcome to the Biblical story that resulted in just that! Consider David's gaffe over transporting the Ark of the Covenant (1 Chron. 13:1-14) from Kiriath-Jearim to Jerusalem in an ox-cart instead of on the shoulders of Priestly Kohathites (Numbers 4:15/Numbers 7:19)! 

It is an altogether different story as to why the Ark, which symbolized both God's presence and His Covenantal relationship with Israel, landed in Kiriath-Jearim in the first place, when it ought to have been in the "The Most Holy Place" (a separate Chamber) of the Tabernacle at Gibeon. Incidentally the story of Tabernacle itself moving to Gibeon from its original place of erection in Shiloh (Joshua 18:1) is a gargantuan subject in itself. Amongst others, the subject would lead us to a topic culminating in a fascinating time in Israel's history, when there were for the first and only time, two High Priests. One was in Gibeon and the other in Jerusalem (See 1 Kings 4:4). Yours truly will endeavour to throw light on fascinating subjects some other time, but in this 3-part series, we will see what lessons can be glean from David's moralistic mission gone awry. We will focus on alliteration, sub-headings beginning with "M", as we, of this generation, are better served in paying proper attention to our Lord's instructions (1 Cor 10:11)... 

Miss-out...

Until this goof-up, one of the outstanding characteristics of the man of God's own heart, David himself (See 1 Sam 13:14/Acts 13:22), had been to often "enquire of the Lord". A careful study of the Scriptures would reveal that until this "spiritual blunder", David had enquired of the Lord when faced with different challenges not less than 6 times (1 Sam 23:2,4/1 Sam 30:8/2 Sam 2:1/2 Sam 5:19,23). Sadly, however, before embarking on this "noble" mission of bringing the Ark of the Covenant to the permanent "home of God", Jerusalum, where the temple would soon be constructed (See Ps. 132:13-14), instead of Gibeon, which was only a temporary place for the Lord's presence in dispensation of Law, there is no mention of this great King "enquiring of the Lord". The Scriptures say he, "consulted with the captains of thousands and hundreds, and with every leader" (1 Chron. 13:1 NLT) instead. If seeking the Lord's opinion seemed too much to ask for David, then ideally instead of military leaders, it would have served him well to consult the Levitical leaders before making the "final call" on the subject. This was, in all, predominantly a spiritual matter...Talk of consulting a Nephrologist to discuss your Cardiac problem, rather than a seeing a Cardiologist... 

Sadly, it would seem that David missed out on the obvious opportunity to seek the right answer from the right source. While the saying, "the work well begun is half-done" is true, the converse of it is also equally true: work not well begun, is half-done for! Say Servant of God, are you prayerfully enquiring of the Lord before launching out on any noble mission that is purportedly to be carried out for His Glory? 

Prayer: Father, we confess of our haste shown in taking up spiritual projects without properly seeking Your counsel in those matters. Forgive us and make us fully dependent on you for all of our projects, from the their beginning until their end. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant
J and SM Ministries  
Announcement:
The early church united in prayer, and as a result, miracles upon miracles happened. Sadly, that unity experienced by the early church has been shredded in modern times by differences of opinion and doctrinal disputes. Just what does the Bible have to say about doctrine? Check out the mini-series, "True Doctrine: A Pentecost Message"!
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 ...Freely you have received, freely give....

To: All  (799 of 920) 
 7720.799 in reply to 7720.798 
Welcome to the Nugget
Februry 22, 2018
When a Moralistic Mission goes awry, Part 2
By Answers2Prayer 
  Continuing with our series "When a moralistic mission goes awry", now we come to its penultimate part ...
Miscalculation...

The obvious offshoot of neither prayerfully looking unto the Lord before embarking on a major spiritual mission nor seeking the Levitical guidance resulted in a gross miscalculation on David's part. He went by recent history--the Philistines had transported the Ark in a Cow-driven cart (see 1 Sam 6:1-14) instead of Scriptures. Yes, the Philistines who were ignorant of the Biblical precepts on Ark transportation (Numbers 4:15/Numbers 7:19) were divinely excused; but how could the Covenantal people to whom the Law was given plead innocence or ignorance in this vital issue (Luke 12:48)? No way! Divine anger was only waiting to spill over, and it did when... 

Mishap...

As per the Divine scheme of things in order, the Lord's response to a reprehensible mishandling of a vital subject is publicly manifested. The oxen stumbled, and what followed is too well-known to be documented again. Mind you, the oxen stumbling was no accident, but a Divinely-ordained occurrence (Matt 10:29)!

Now for a subject within a subject...The ark had stayed for a period of time at Abinadab's house (2 Samuel 6:3), where his sons, Uzzah and Ahio, may well have become accustomed to its presence. There's an old saying, "familiarity breeds contempt," that could apply in this case. Uzzah, having been around the ark in his own home, could very likely forget the holiness that it represented. There are times when we, too, fail to recognize the holiness of God, and we also become too familiar with Him with an irreverent attitude. Time for making amends! 

Prayer: Father, we love you and fear You. Enable us always to walk with You in reverential fear and the comfort of the Holy Spirit like the early Christians. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant
J and SM Ministries  
Announcement:
Did you ever try to do something out of good intentions, only to have it go sour? Join us on Saturday for the concluding part of "Moralistic Missions Gone Astray", a Mini-Series by Suresh Manoharan, loaded with Biblical examples of the same, as well as some valuable lessons we can learn from their experiences!
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 ...Freely you have received, freely give....

To: All  (800 of 920) 
 7720.800 in reply to 7720.799 
Welcome to the Nugget

Februry 24, 2018

When a Moralistic Mission goes awry, Part 3

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us  Today, we come to the concluding part of the series titled "When a moralistic mission goes awry"...

Miserable...

While King David's friend may have lost his life, it was the King who felt the most miserable (1 Chro 13:11-12) at the sorry turn of events for which he himself was solely responsible. Be it as it may, let's capture what David himself has to say about the reasons behind the Lord's act of inflicting painful chastisement, albeit in a different situation: "The punishment you gave me was the best thing that could have happened to me, for it taught me to pay attention to your laws. They are more valuable to me than millions in silver and gold!" (Ps. 119:71-72 TLB).

Modify...

Misery led to the temporary modification in David's plan to take the Ark to Jerusalem. He would now instead take it to the home of a Levite, Obededom (1 Chron. 15:24) the Gittite, so called because he was the resident of Gath-Rimmon, one of the Levitical Cities (Joshua 21:24-25). 

Manifold...

Put yourself in Obededom's shoes, as the Ark of the Covenant came home! Considering the circumstances, one can well imagine with what reverential fear he and his family members would have gone about their lives. No wonder, the Scripture says, obviously out of joy in seeing Obededom conduct affairs of his home with deep reverential fear for three months, that the Lord blessed him with manifold blessings (1 Chron. 13:14).

Mend...

Trust godly David to repent whenever he was confronted with his faults and fallacies (Psalm 51/2 Sam 24); and this incident, which is the first of the other two grave mistakes of his life, kind of establishes a pattern: Stand...fall...rise! Deep remorse of this contrite King over a moralistic mission gone awry due to Scriptural negligence can well be gauged by these sombre words, even as he mends fences with His Creator. Let the Scripture take over at this stage... 

"Then David called for Zadok and Abiathar, the High Priests, and for the Levite leaders: Uriel, Asaiah, Joel, Shemaiah, Eliel, and Amminadab. 'You are the leaders of the clans of the Levites,' he told them. 'Now sanctify yourselves with all your brothers so that you may bring the Ark of Jehovah, the God of Israel, to the place I have prepared for it. The Lord destroyed us before because we handled the matter improperly--you were not carrying it.'" (1 Chron. 15:11-13 TLB). 

About a Christian's life also...the wise Rick Warren observed, "A Christian begins with repentance and is sustained by repentance". 

Mission 2...

If seeds for failure of "Mission 1" were laid by way of an improper spiritual preparation, seeds for success of Mission 2 were by the same token planted this time out by proper, reverential, meticulous preparation. No wonder that when the curtains come down on this particular account of finally bringing the Ark to Jerusalem, the Scripture makes mention of peaceful and joyous settings at the end of it all: "And when David had finished offering the burnt offerings and the peace offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the LORD of hosts and distributed among all the people, the whole multitude of Israel, both men and women, a cake of bread, a portion of meat, and a cake of raisins to each one. Then all the people departed, each to his house" (2 Sam 6:18-19). 
May we too, at all times, undertake tasks for God's Glory in the way He desires, so that we can also experience this truth of which that great Missionary Hudson Taylor speaks of thus: "God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply." Oh of all the finest things He supplies, let's crave for His approval first and foremost in everything we undertake in His Name! 

Prayer: Father, let all our steps be ordered by Thee at all times. In Jesus' Name. Amen.
Suresh Manoharan
An unworthy servant
J and SM Ministries  
Announcement:
 It is never easy to do what is right, but it is always the right thing to do. But what if doing what is right gets you into trouble? What then?  Check out "Yes Boss!!!" a mini-series by Brother Suresh Manoharan, designed to help us understand the importance of doing the right thing, as well as the ultimate blessings that will result!

To: All  (801 of 920) 
 7720.801 in reply to 7720.800 
 Welcome to the Nugget
bible
February 27, 2018

Connected
bible
By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us
"Therefore encourage and build one another up, just as you are already doing." (1 Thess. 5:11 NIV)

One of my earliest memories was watching my Mom talk on our old rotary dial telephone. I was fascinated that she was talking to someone who wasn't actually in the room with her. When she finally hung up and left the room I slowly walked over to the phone and stared at it for a minute. Then I gently reached down and picked up the receiver. When I put it to my ear I was shocked to hear voices still speaking on it. I quickly and quietly hung it back up not knowing what to make of it. Later my older brother explained to me that we were on a party line and couldn't make a call while someone else was using it.

That, of course, was a long time ago. We switched to a private line soon after that and then later got a push button phone. Next came mobile phones that you could carry around the house with you. After that came computers, cell phones, and smart phones. These days I can send an e-mail half way around the world in a second. My daughter's smart phone has a hundred apps and a dozen social media accounts. She stores all of her information in a mysterious place known as the cloud. We are it seems more connected in this world than ever before.

What bothers me, though, is that as much as we are connected to each other, we rarely connect with each other. Few people write letters to each other these days. Few take the time to talk face to face. Instead of talking on the phone we text. Instead of looking into our loved ones' eyes we stare down at our phones. Instead of holding hands we scroll and swipe. It seems like the most connected generation may also be the loneliest.

Don't let that happen. Don't let technology take your time and your life away from you. Make the time to talk, to live, and to love. Make the time to meet, to pray, and to touch. Take a walk on the beach with a friend. Sit on the porch and watch the sunset. Play a game of chess or checkers. Hold hands and say Grace before a meal. Have a long conversation with the phones off and the hearts on. Connect offline as well as online.

Remember that God put us here to love each other. God put us here to help each other. God put us here to make this world a better place. When your technology can help you to do these things then use it. But when it can't turn it off.

By: Joseph J. Mazzella

Announcement:
Just what IS love, anyway? Check out "Lessons In Love From 1 Corinthians 13", a mini-series by Soyna Richards, to find out!
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."

To: All  (802 of 920) 
 7720.802 in reply to 7720.801 
Welcome to the Nugget
March 1, 2018
Prepare

By Answers2Prayer 
 Preparation seems to be a huge slice of anything we undertake. Even when I am washing up, I prepare the plates by clearing them of scraps, of rinsing the drinking cups, of emptying any used saucepans and so on. Then I begin the washing up.

Planning a garden bed is similar. Organize the tools, dig out wayward grasses, pull out weeds, form firm edgings and plan space for each plant to be planted.

Or we are used to preparing things such as shopping trips (how many times have you forgotten to take your shopping list?), visiting friends -- you usually phone them ahead of time and offer to take with you whatever they might need. Oh, and don't forget to buy your travel ticket or put fuel in your vehicle!

We are good at preparing so what do you suppose Matthew 3:3, Mark 1:3 and Luke 3:4 meant us to understand when they quoted, "prepare ye the way of the Lord"? 

Of course, Isaiah, Malachi and Psalms had said it long before they did so I began to try to work out how it applies to this humble reader. What on earth could I do to prepare the way of the Lord? It is far too great an event for simple me to make any 'way of the Lord' worthy of such an event. 

Nobody in their right mind would even think of asking me to prepare for anything so significant so why was it put right there where I would inevitably read it? Was I being told to 'plant trees up the driveway,' or 'mow the lawn,' or 'get your neighbors together to put flowers in the windows and pot plants on the front steps?' Would that be what was meant?

Years ago I remember when the 'way' in this area was being prepared for the Queen and any suggestion that I could begin to do anything worthy of royalty is laughable. How much less for the Lord of the whole universe!

Then almost by accident I found out that the word, 'prepare,' has special meaning. As used by Matthew, Mark and Luke at least, it means to prepare spiritually. Now it makes sense. Heart and mind must be prepared if His coming means well for anyone. 

The farmer might be harvesting wheat, the cattleman might be fencing a new cattle-yard, the shopkeeper might be helping to re-stock his shelves, the nurse might be applying a bandage, a mother might be doing the washing for her children, a father might be on his way to work to earn his wages.

You or I might simply be going about our daily duties but at every moment we can still, "prepare the way of the Lord." (Mark 1:3 NLT) We will have had those moments of free time or 'easy' time when we can have prayed for His grace, or read Scripture assuring us of His grace. But when we are busy with daily chores, we might simply think a silent prayer asking for all we love to be covered by His grace.

No matter what you or I might be doing, we can "Prepare the way of the Lord" in its spiritual significance in our corner of the world. 

So you will join me won't you? Please, please? 

Elizabeth Price  
Announcement:
Have you ever taken the time to contemplate, I mean REALLY contemplate the depth of God's sacrifice to us through the death of Jesus Christ? Visit us online for the previously-published series,  "The Sufferings of Jesus". 
©?Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."

To: All  (803 of 920) 
 7720.803 in reply to 7720.802 
Welcome to the Nugget
March 3, 2018

One Person

By Answers2Prayer 
  "For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit." (1 Peter 3:18)

In his many books and lectures the great educator, Leo Buscaglia showed us time and again how the love of just one person can change a life and change the world. I remember especially his story about the noted psychologist, Dr. Skeels.  

In the early 20th century orphaned children were often warehoused in badly understaffed institutions where they received little if any attention or love. At one time Dr. Skeels took 12 of these orphaned children and let them be cared for, a few hours each day, by mentally retarded 
adolescent girls at a nearby institution. He also studied 12 other children who were left in the orphanage all day long. He followed these children until adulthood and the results he found were shocking. Of the 12 children left all day in the orphanage without love and attention all were either dead, in institutions for the mentally retarded or in institutions for the mentally ill. Of the 12 children cared for and loved by the mentally retarded teenage girls all were self-supporting, most had graduated high school, and all were happily married. The only difference in the lives of these children had been the love of one person.

God loves us all so much and His greatest wish is for us to love each other as well. Let us never forget then just how vital our love can be to another. Patrick McCauley wrote "Some of us will reach millions, most of us will reach a few, and some will reach only one person. However, given the infinite significance of each person, there is no difference in the end."

Give your love, your kindness, and your heart to others today. You never know whom you might touch, whom you might help, and whose life you may save. As Thomas Merton said: "How can anyone tell how much he owes to the goodness of those who love him?" You may be just one person and you may touch just one person but that alone can change the world. 

Joseph J. Mazzella

Announcement:
Jesus' death and resurrection is perhaps the single most important thing that has ever happened in the history of mankind. Why not spend some time meditating upon this greatest of gifts throughout this season? You won't be sorry!
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."

Navigate this discussion: 1-3 4-13 14-23 ... 774-783 784-793 794-803 804-813 814-823 ... 894-903 904-913 914-920
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.