Elaine's Corner and UK -  Daily Disciple Looking Deeper (30805 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1730 of 1974) 
 8465.1730 in reply to 8465.1729 
February 8

Today's Reading: Leviticus 4; Matthew 24:29-51

Today's Thoughts: The Power of Unity

1 Now the whole earth had one language and one speech. 4 And they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth." 5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built. 6 And the Lord said, "Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them. Genesis 11:1, 4-6

The tower of Babel is a familiar story in the Old Testament. After the flood, Noah and his sons were fruitful and multiplied, populating the "whole earth." The people had one major commonality: they all spoke the same language. In the course of time, many of them moved into the same region and decided to build a city together. This city would have a tall tower, one so spectacular that they would be well-known for creating such an awesome sight. Their intentions concerned the Lord as He looked upon what they were doing. Once again, man was heading in a direction of self-serving, self-loving ambition that would only lead them farther away from God. God intervened and confused their speech. No one understood each other anymore, hence Babel means confusion. The tower of Babel represented the place where the people's language was no longer of one accord. God scattered the people abroad, with only those who understood each other staying together and multiplying.

Though this story is quite familiar, as I read through it again, I noticed something very interesting. In verse 6, the Lord recognizes that the people have a unity of such power that "nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them." The NIV Bible uses the phrase "nothing will be impossible" for them. Even though these people were in sin, their unified focus gave them an extraordinary ability to achieve the impossible. How much more can we achieve if we work together as the body of Christ? The apostle Paul tells us that gifts were given individually to those in the body of Christ to work together as one for the whole body of Christ.

As Christians, we need to recognize our power in being unified together. When we stand together for a common purpose, surely nothing can stop us. Unfortunately, we too often stand alone. Pray about getting involved in your church ministries. How can you join forces with the body of Christ to help achieve certain goals? The only thing that usually stops us is fear. But don't worry, instead of God coming down to confuse our language, He will come down to help us better understand each other through His Word.

Our mission is to evangelize the lost and awaken the saved to live empowered lives by the Work of God and His Holy Spirit. Daily Disciples Ministries makes a difference for the kingdom of God by teaching and training believers how to be in God's Word, how to pray and how to walk with Jesus every day, as His daily disciple.
Daily Disciples Ministries, Inc. 

Reply   Options 

To: All  (1731 of 1974) 
 8465.1731 in reply to 8465.1730 
February 9

Today's Reading: Leviticus 6; Matthew 25:1-30

Today's Thoughts: To Seek Him Face to Face

So I said: "Woe is me, for I am undone! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, The LORD of hosts." - >Isaiah 6:5

As Christians, our desire is to be with Jesus. Personally, I would love to see Him face-to-face. I would talk to Him about my heart's desires and goals, and even if He didn't respond, I would love to read His facial expressions. To be in the presence of the Lord seems like the best thing imaginable. Isaiah did not have to imagine it; however, because he experienced it. Of course, his experience is more accurate than my imagination. Isaiah did see the Lord, but Isaiah did not talk about himself or go over his prayer requests in God's presence. Isaiah was confronted with his sin. Isaiah was also aware of the sins of the people and the inadequacy all of us face in the presence of the Lord. Isaiah realized that we are all undone, unworthy and unclean. We have no way of changing these things for we live in a midst of people and within a world of sinfulness. Seeing the Lord brings forth a holy fear that we are nothing and we deserve nothing.

It is amazing to me that Isaiah brings attention to his unclean lips (instead of his eyes having seen the Lord). The angel had a treatment for his unclean lips, touched by a coal from God's altar. With that process, Isaiah's iniquity was taken away and his sin purged. Why his lips and not his heart or his eyes? If you think about what Jesus taught, the lips make sense in the spiritual realm. Jesus said that out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks (Luke 6:45). Isaiah's lips represent his heart. Isaiah would respond to the call of God, but in order to go and speak for God, his heart needed to be touched.

This same process starts with our eyes being opened to our unworthiness as we come before the presence of God. Then, we will realize that our heart needs to be cleansed so we can represent Him with the words of our lips. This is a continual process. It is easy to be swayed away and think we are being used by God because of our works of righteousness. It is not about us. We need to be about Jesus. Today, ask Him to send you. Respond to His call. But first, set your eyes on the Lord's majesty, awesomeness and purity. Understand that you are not worthy to be used but He has made a way to wash you through the blood of Christ so that you can speak for Him from a cleansed heart. All you have to say is, "Here am I! Send me."

Our mission is to evangelize the lost and awaken the saved to live empowered lives by the Work of God and His Holy Spirit. Daily Disciples Ministries makes a difference for the kingdom of God by teaching and training believers how to be in God's Word, how to pray and how to walk with Jesus every day, as His daily disciple.

To: All  (1732 of 1974) 
 8465.1732 in reply to 8465.1731 

February 10

Today's Reading: Leviticus 8; >Matthew 25:31-46

Today's Thoughts: Not Alone

Then the rib which the Lord God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man. And Adam said: "This is now bone of my bones And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man." Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. - >Genesis 2:22-24

When God put Adam in the Garden of Eden, He gave him everything he needed. Adam was in charge of the plants and the animals. He would never get hungry or thirsty. He never had to worry about bad weather or shelter from the elements. Best of all, Adam had a personal relationship with God, one can only imagine how wonderful that must have been. But even with all of his needs being met, God knew that Adam was alone. None of the animals served as a comparable mate, even though Adam knew them and named them. God loved Adam so much that He made a mate just for him – a woman.

In society today, there is much debate about the roles of man and woman, especially related to marriage issues. There are those who disagree with the biblical account of what God intended in creating man and woman and why He put them together in the first place. We get hung up on the concepts, duties and rights of marriage to the point that the true meaning of it is lost. The most basic element of marriage is companionship, to never have to be alone. God's heart for us is that we never feel alone. Whether married or not, we need friends and relationships that encourage and edify us. Loneliness can be debilitating and depressing to the point of death.

Where are you today? Most of us are living in the Garden, where our basic needs are met, but what about true companionship? If you are lonely and feeling isolated, start praying to the Lord for His help. The enemy will keep you isolated as long as he can. Take the steps to get involved in a Bible study with small groups and fellowship opportunities. Volunteer and get involved to help others. In helping others, you also help yourself. You never know what God has in store for you. One thing you can be sure of – He does not want you to be alone.

To: All  (1733 of 1974) 
 8465.1733 in reply to 8465.1732 

Today's Reading: Leviticus 11; Matthew 26:1-25

Today's Thoughts: Extraordinary Prayer

"God heeded the voice of man" Joshua 10:14 

There are numerous scriptures and stories throughout the Bible that encourage us to pray. Prayer is so important in our lives as Christians, yet it often gets reduced to either 911-type cries for help or routine words that we are accustomed to praying. In the case of Joshua and the battle with the Amorites, he asked the Lord for a miracle of major proportions. Joshua dared to ask God that the sun would not set until their enemies were defeated. Not only did God answer Joshua's prayer but verse 14 further states that "there has been no day like that, before it or after it, that the Lord heeded the voice of a man; for the Lord fought for Israel." The Lord listened and responded to the voice of man.

Does God heed the voice of man today? James 5:16 says that the effective fervent prayers of a righteous man avails much. Jesus tells us to ask, seek and knock and that whatever we ask in His name will be given. The key to answered prayers, however, is in praying God's will. Because we have the Holy Spirit and the Word of God, we can know how to pray God's will for our lives (I should add "better know" because there are still times when we all struggle to truly understand how to pray the will of God.) But regardless of what we know or how we pray, the point is that we need to pray to the Lord for everything. We should not hold back from asking the Lord for anything we want. It is up to Him to decide if or how He answers.

This day in Joshua's life was extraordinary to say the least. God gave him extra daylight time to completely destroy the five kings who had fled from him. God not only answered Joshua's prayer, but He divinely intervened in this battle Himself. When God has a plan, no one can thwart or hinder what He is going to do. Sometimes we need to pray just for peace in the situation we are in, knowing that the Lord will have His way no matter what we do or do not do. God kept His promises to Joshua and the Israelites and He demonstrated His faithfulness to them in amazing ways.

Is this the same God in our lives today? Absolutely! Do not stop praying and do not allow the enemy to hinder your faith in your prayers. The Lord may not extend our days by keeping the sun from setting, but there are miracles that He does perform in our lives that hold just as much impact. Has God given you promises? Believe in faith that He will fulfill them in your life, maybe not in your timing or by your methods, but in His. He is the same God today as He was to Joshua. Are you expecting the same of Him?

To: All  (1734 of 1974) 
 8465.1734 in reply to 8465.1733 
February 12

Today's Reading: Leviticus 13; Matthew 26:26-50

Today's Thoughts: Seek His Promises

"And blessed is he who keeps from stumbling over Me."-  Matthew 11:6

While teaching on Joshua 1, I realized that God clearly told Joshua that He fulfills His promises. God even clearly restates what those promises entailed. However, today, many people do not know how to get promises from God. And even if God is speaking to them, many Christians do not know how to wait it out, and so they fail to watch God work it out to completion. As a result, many Christians stumble over Jesus and the way He works in our lives. But that is not God’s intention as He desires to speak to us and reveal to us things that are to come.

My mom came over today and I asked her how she would teach someone to get promises from God. Immediately, she started giving me illustrations of when God gave her promises. So, I asked her again, “But how did you learn to get a promise from God?” She used another illustration of a promise God gave her to try to speak in the generalities of teaching someone else. I was thankful for the discussion because I had also realized that it is very difficult to come up with a “basic formula” in receiving a promise from God.

God’s Word is filled with promises He gave in the past which can be applied to my present circumstances. I can give a very simple way of how I get a promise from God. First, I start by praying to Him about a burden while asking for His will to be done in it. It is not God’s will for me to be stressed out and unsettled, so I start reading the Word, looking for a passage that addresses what I am praying about. If a verse pops out, I will start meditating over it, asking God about it and looking up the cross references for it. I know that it is a promise from God if it addresses the burden on my heart in future terms while giving me a present day peace. I also know that it is a promise and not a command if I can’t do anything to fulfill it by myself. God wants me to trust and have faith and He will accomplish the rest.

Today, try to read segments in the book of Isaiah. God has given me so many promises in that book. Keep seeking the Lord’s will until He gives you a verse. Then trust Him. He is more than able to address and accomplish all that concerns you today and every day!

To: All  (1735 of 1974) 
 8465.1735 in reply to 8465.1734 

February 13

Today's Reading: Leviticus 14; Matthew 26:51-75

Today's Thoughts: You are Not Alone

For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:15-16

Have you ever poured your heart out to someone but felt worse afterwards because you knew that no matter how hard you tried to express your feelings, they just did not understand? True understanding and empathy come when the person you are sharing a personal problem with has lived through the same type of situation. Several years ago my dad died of a heart attack, suddenly and without warning, and the shock was painfully tough for our family. But comfort came from those who experienced similar traumas, including my two half-sisters whose dad had died a few months earlier. Their dad died the same way, and they were dealing with the same type of pain. Through the pain and suffering a close bond was formed between us as our hearts were drawn to each other, and even to this day, we share a relationship like sisters who have suffered together.

When I think of the sufferings that Christ endured here on earth, I am comforted that He understands my sufferings. No one was more rejected, ridiculed, misunderstood, and alone than Jesus. Even though He was fully God, He was also fully man. Jesus dealt with the same emotions and temptations in his flesh just as we do, yet He was without sin. But Jesus never focused on His own pain; His concern and compassion was for the people. Even when His friend Lazarus died, Jesus cried. He understood the pain that Lazarus’ sisters were feeling and He knows today the pain that we feel. For me, I try to remember these things in my weakest moments, and I know that I am not alone.

Are you hurting today? Maybe you feel as though no one really understands or even cares. Jesus says to “come boldly to the throne of grace” and there you will find help in your time of need. Come boldly today and seize the mercy and grace that is freely given by Jesus. His sufferings were for just this reason, so that we can all pour out our hearts to the One who truly understands and the only One who can truly help us. Go to Jesus today. He loves you, He understands you, and He will help you.

To: All  (1736 of 1974) 
 8465.1736 in reply to 8465.1735 
February 14

Today’s Reading: Leviticus 15; Matthew 27:1-26

Today's Thoughts: As Christ Loves Us

And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

Valentine’s Day is celebrated as a day to express love and most notably, romantic love. The history of Valentine's Day, along with the saint for whom it is named, is shrouded in mystery. Both Christian and ancient Roman traditions make up its origins, but the exact details of what happened to St. Valentine are uncertain.  What is certain is that through a series of events dating back to the middle ages, February 14 became the date to commemorate Valentine’s Day. Roses and chocolates will be sold at exorbitant prices and in massive quantities, all in hopes to express our love in that special way. What is the most special way to express our love?

The thirteenth chapter of First Corinthians is known as the lovechapter of the Bible. The apostle Paul writes about true love, what it is and what it is not. It “suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;” (verse 4). It “does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;” (verse 5). Paul puts it very simply in verse 8, “Love never fails.” Flowers fade and candies melt, but true love never fades, never dies, never fails. The most special way to express our love is to practice these qualities Paul speaks of as we learn to love beyond ourselves. 

Romantic love is a wonderful feeling and being in love is truly a gift from God. Those feelings of heightened joy and excitement seem to make everything else less significant.  But today, let’s ask the Lord to help us love beyond the feelings of the gifts and the favors. Let’s pray that we can love as Christ loves us and that we can express that love in ways that bless those around us more than anything else we can give. Why not make today a day to take love more seriously than you ever have before? Pray that love becomes the motivation for all that you do. Enjoy the flowers and candies and candlelight dinners, but remember to keep love in your heart, not just in the festivities.

Daily Disciples Ministries, Inc. .

To: All  (1737 of 1974) 
 8465.1737 in reply to 8465.1736 
February 15

Today's Reading: Leviticus 17; Matthew 27:27-50

Today’s Thoughts: Refined and Tested

This third I will bring into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, “They are my people, and they will say, The LORD is our God.”   Zechariah 13:9

I read a verse like this and ask the Lord, “Why do the ones that you choose and love need to be refined and tested?” In some strange way, I look at love so much differently.

It is not natural in the flesh to look at my children and think that I willingly plan to discipline them. I often succumb to discipline when their actions are not socially acceptable, and it embarrasses me. I really want to believe that they don't need me to discipline them and that they'll grow out of their stage. I want to believe that I can show love by having the self control to not discipline them and patiently wait for them to grow up.  This is what my flesh wants to believe, that this is absloutely wrong because Gos is perfect love and He does not think that way.  So, I need to align myself up with Him: both as a parent and as a child of God.

God says in this verse that He brings His own people into the fire. It is in the fire that we are refined like silver and tested like gold. If He is comparing us to precious metals, then we have to assume that the fire is pretty hot! The Lord does this for our good. He wants us to call on His name and know that He will answer because we are His people. His people have to be trained, disciplined, tested and refined to think His thoughts and to live in His ways. Because our flesh is so strong, we resist His work and end up turning from the Lord or blaming Him. We accuse Him of not being loving or caring. We wonder why He isn’t answering our prayers or rescuing us from those hot circumstances, without realizing that He is the One who has placed us there.

God loves you. He is all powerful and can absolutely rescue you but He cares more about you than you can care about yourself. He needs you to change to be more like Him. Unfortunately that takes time in the fire. Trust Him because this is only for a season. For when you are trained, you will produce a harvest of righteousness and a deep peace knowing that He is your God.

To: All  (1738 of 1974) 
 8465.1738 in reply to 8465.1737 

February 16

Today's Reading: Leviticus 19; Matthew 27:51-66

Today's Thoughts: An Idol in Your Life?  

Do not turn to idols, nor make for yourselves molded gods: I am the Lord your God. Leviticus 19:4

When we think of idols, most of us do not think of worshiping some molded statue. Today, some religions do bow down to gods with the image of a man, woman or creature, but certainly not Christians. We know that an idol is anything that we prioritize over God, not necessarily a literal man-made god that we worship. But then again, we do have the “Oscars.” Each year Hollywood gives out these little gold statues to its most honored artists. The evening gowns, the jewelry and the parties are also a big part of this night of awards and acclamations. However, it is not just for those who attend the event and are nominated for the golden honor...it seems that many of us get caught up in the excitement as well.

As Christians, what are our responsibilities in supporting or not supporting this industry?  How much should we care about the movies and about these little golden statues? For some, it is harmless entertainment. For others, it is a continuing sign of moral decay in our society. Where are the lines for us as Christians? The answers to these questions are based upon a personal conviction for each one of us. If we somehow are choosing these idols over our Lord, then maybe we should really pray about our level of interest.

The bigger issue is that God warned His people to turn from their idols and false gods because He knew where it would lead them...to destruction. The same is true for us today. When we focus on things outside of Jesus, our focus is marred with images that are not healthy. No greater place breeds false images than Hollywood. Think about your level of interest. If you feel a nudge in your spirit, ask the Lord to show you areas that need refocusing. We must also remember that our minds tend to replay images over and over in our minds, so be careful of the content in those images. If you find yourself thinking on things of the world too much, ask the Lord to change your focus.

To: All  (1739 of 1974) 
 8465.1739 in reply to 8465.1738 
February 18

Today's Reading: Leviticus 23; Mark 1:1-22

Today's Thoughts: What God Calls You

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 1 Peter 2:9

Have you ever thought of yourself as royalty? Most likely, you have not. We think of kings and princes as royalty, with luxuries and extravagances that far exceed our ways of life. But what is "holy" royalty? Have you ever thought of yourself as holy royalty?  Did you know that you are considered holy – special– chosenby God?  Look closely at the verse and you will see that the second word is "you." The Lord is speaking to you, personally. So often we tend to see ourselves in the negative. We may believe that Jesus saved us from our sins, but to believe that He sees us as royalty is much harder to accept. Today, Jesus wants you to know and believe the truth of this verse. You are His own special person. He chose you; He loves you; and He calls you His royal priest. Jesus called you out of darkness so you can live in His marvelous light.

If we could only truly grasp how much Jesus loves us! While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8). When God looks at us, He sees His Son, Jesus. Because we are covered in the blood of Christ, we are holy and blameless (Philippians 2:15) before God. What are we to do in return? We are to proclaim the praises of God. We should be singing God's praises from the rooftops, giving glory and honor to His unfailing love and unending mercies. Despite being in the midst of a crooked world, He has set us apart to glorify Him.

Take time today to thank the Lord for choosing you as His own and for calling you out of the darkness. Spend time worshiping and praising Him for His goodness. The Lord has clothed you in royalty and righteousness. Look up, see His glory and believe with all of your heart that He has a plan and a purpose for your life. (Jeremiah 29:11) Proclaim your praises of Him to others and let your light shine so that others may see.

Navigate this discussion: 1-9 10-19 20-29 ... 1710-1719 1720-1729 1730-1739 1740-1749 1750-1759 ... 1950-1959 1960-1969 1970-1974
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.