MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ibuprofen & GFR   Discussions

Started Mar-25 by ~BootsInstantPotKitchen~ (FancyBoots); 89 views.

A heads up.  In case you haven't been told.  Those of you with kidney disease should hear this.  I've had type 2 Diabetes for over 20 years.

Several years ago I was & still do have serious low back issues.  I started taking Ibuprofen & kept on taking it because it helped the back issues.

Fast forward & my doctors office called me in & said I'm very concerned with your GFR (Glomerular Filteration Rate)  He asked me many questions & one of them was have you taken any Ibuprofen lately?  Yes!  I had and probably more than I should, cause I was just trying to get my back issues helped.  Bingo!  He said, please stop taking Ibuprofen & any Nasid classed medications.

"NSAIDs reduce the flow of blood to the kidneys and impair function of the kidneys. The impairment is most likely to occur in patients who already have impaired function of the kidney or congestive heart failure, and use of NSAIDs in these patients should be cautious."

I did stop taking it & my GFR went back to being halfway normal.  I am at stage 3 A right now, hoping that I stay right there & don't go any farther down.  However with diabetes, it doesn't look real promising.

What stage are you?

CDP (PerraultC)
Host

Mar-26

Hi Boots,

I'm in stage 4 myself. Around the time I got diagnosed (I think it was officially in August or September of last year) I was just coming out of stage 3 and going into stage 4. It all happened really fast. As of my last lab it's at least stable and at the upper 20s. Hopefully it will stay that way or even move up a few notches to 30+ so I can get back in stage 3 territory.

I can remember even way before kidney disease came into my life, hearing about how harmful Advil and the like are for your kidneys. I used it at times, but not often. Not nearly enough to impact my kidneys. That said, the first thing my nephrologist said when I walked into his office was no nsaids.

How long have you been in stage 3? Have you been there steady for a few years or has it been a slow progression?

It's been a slow progression.  I've had type two diabetes for almost 24 years.  In the very beginning I did not heed my doctor.  Then I started traveling a lot in my job & didn't even try.  I was eating at odd hours & at that time there was only so much food you could get while working the 11-7 shift.  When I stopped traveling is when I started getting serious.  Even with that, the progression was not helpful at all.

I am lucky to be at only stage 3.  I lost  a very close friend not too long ago & he was at stage 3 so I do know the danger is there.