Help & Questions -  What Red Road???? (32 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 9) 
Some one told me a while back that they were not ndn, but following the "Red Road." This threw me. How can a person walk what they are not? And what do they mean "following" it? Had this person ever woke up in a poverty so deep on a reservation that they felt there was no way out? No.
Had this person had BIA and other agencies turn their backs on them because of their skin color? No.
Had this person ever been spit upon or beaten up by whites and called
"chief" and other names meant as shameful terms? No.
Then it is beyond me how some people profess to follow the "red road."
It kind of makes me mad hearing that. There are too many pretend
Indians out there. My math is terrible, but I figure that NO NDN BLOOD = NO NDN. Only on Halloween should you pretend to be something you are not.
Tim

Reply   Options 

From: Mike (stormstudio) DelphiPlus Member Icon6/30/00 12:12 AM 
To: Cherokee21 DelphiPlus Member Icon unread  (2 of 9) 
 128.2 in reply to 128.1 
V'v- there are way too many pretendians, it's true...

The Red Road is not a blood quotia thing, but does belong to natives. It is not a poverty/oppression thing, but is also not a book-learned priviledge. It is not a religion but way of living, and practicing proper ways. I have found, if a person says outright without request that they do a native spirit thing, be wary- they are looking for validation, and are hardly behaving like an Indian. I once even had a man say, unrelated to anything & not even in conversation, that they were a 'shaman'- to impress the Indian. One may as well tell a stranger 'I am wise and holy'.

Now, I can understand a non-Indian person wishing to honor a way that appears balanced to them. But it is too easy for many to tag a label on it and call it Red Road with very little awareness. Usually this is more to serve the ego. Many do not understand the ongoing learning, the discipline- and most importantly, the part that sacrifice and direct experience with proper teaching it takes to be on the Red Road. A non-Indian may actually be initiated to the path by a proper elder/teacher, but it is rare. The eurocentric mindset often finds it hard to grasp that it is not a matter of ownership. It is also very tribal, and too many think of it as an individual thing, like many other 'religions'.

Mike
www.direclynx.net/~stormstudio/pretendpages.htm

Edited 6/30/00 12:14:31 AM ET by STORMSTUDIO

To: Mike (stormstudio) DelphiPlus Member Icon unread  (3 of 9) 
 128.3 in reply to 128.2 
Thanks Mike:
As always I've learned from a post of yours.
Tim

To: Cherokee21 DelphiPlus Member Icon unread  (4 of 9) 
 128.4 in reply to 128.2 
Then there's also an older use of the term. For Cherokee there are 2 paths, the Red (agigagi) Path and the White (yunega) Path. The Red path is followed during times of war, the white during times of peace.

Tom

From: Mike (stormstudio) DelphiPlus Member Icon6/30/00 11:49 AM 
To: Guest unread  (5 of 9) 
 128.5 in reply to 128.4 
True, Tom. In tsalagi, to say,'I am a red man today' would mean I was victorious or involved in battle, rather than just skin color.

'Red Road' if I'm not mistaken derives from Plains traditions, and has been adopted as a general term among many peoples; but also as a generalization of Indian ways among those with less experience.

To: Guest unread  (6 of 9) 
 128.6 in reply to 128.4 
Thanks Tom: Between yourself and Mike I;ve learned a lot. But I still can't see how a white person or any other person can one decide to follow a "red road" and become ndn. When I hear a person tell me that, I think Twinkie. Just my thought.

From: Mike (stormstudio) DelphiPlus Member Icon7/1/00 2:17 AM 
To: Cherokee21 DelphiPlus Member Icon unread  (7 of 9) 
 128.7 in reply to 128.6 
Would be close to my thoughts too, C.

If a person were real this way, it wouldn't be said that way. It'd be understood later if it were meant to. A whiter person I believe should be doing it by invite through proper means, so they learn enough respect to not just say things like that. The old anglo earth-based beliefs are allies in a way, and I wish hard sometimes that more would follow their own, than appropriate anothers'.

To: Mike (stormstudio) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 9) 
 128.8 in reply to 128.7 
Very true and well spoken.
Thanks Mike.

To: Mike (stormstudio) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 9) 
 128.9 in reply to 128.2 
(blinks confusedly)I thought a red road was a road with heavy quantities of IRON and CLAY????

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.