Cherokee Chiefs -  Wilma P. Mankiller  (22 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon4/6/06 1:18 PM 
To: Cherokee21 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 4) 
 1939.2 in reply to 1939.1 

Wilma Mankiller's autobiographhy, "Mankiller," is wonderful. She's an excellent writer and skillfully weaves her own story and the history of the Cherokee into her book.

Not long before reading her autobiography, I'd read a book called "Walk in My Soul" by Lucia St. Clair Robson. It's an historical novel based on the life of Tiana Rogers.

By the time I finished that book and Wilma Mankiller's book, I felt like I knew Nancy Ward, Stand Watie and the Ridges and John Ross.

Funny how things seem to connect. Having grown up in California and being interested in California history, I was doing some research on Joaquin Murrietta. THE book that propelled Joaquin into legendary proportions was written by John Rollin Ridge, of the Watie-Ridge-Boudinot family, who I'd learned about in the two books mentioned above. In his fictionalize account of Joaquin Murrietta, John Rollin Ridge was making a statement on racism.

And it as John Rollin Ridge's fictionalized character of Murrietta that gave rise to Zorro.

Jeanne

Reply   Options 

From: Madam D (MadamD) DelphiPlus Member Icon4/7/06 10:07 AM 
To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 4) 
 1939.3 in reply to 1939.2 
"Walk in my Soul" is one of the books I am reading now...even through it is a historical novel, it is very good...I have "Mankiller" and "God is Red" next...I love reading...I read 4 books at a time...that way I don't bog down...think I developed this when I was a student...ya know you have to take 4 to 5 courses at a time, why not read 4 or 5 books at a time...it works for me...Peace debbra

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon4/7/06 1:07 PM 
To: Madam D (MadamD) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 4) 
 1939.4 in reply to 1939.3 

I love to read, too.

Since I've gotten interested in genealogy, I've gotten much more interested in history - I always was interested in history, biography and autobiography, and even more so after looking into the history of my own family. Researching genealogy has brought research tools to my attention that I wasn't aware of before. Tiana Rogers' family as well as the Ridge-Watie-Boudinot families and Nancy Ward are well documented form a genealogy standpoint.

Jeanne

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1 2-4
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.