Culture and History -  Fry bread and health (31 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 10) 

Fry bread still in high demand despite health risks
Thursday, April 6, 2006

Despite the health risks associated with fatty foods, fry bread is still in high demand in Window Rock, Arizona, the capitol of the Navajo Nation.

Sadine Dooline operates Ed's Cafe in the Indian Marketplace in Window Rock. After being diagnosed with diabetes 15 years ago, she started making changes to her diet and brought some of them to her food stand.

But customers aren't interested, she said. They still want fry bread, meat with the fat still on it and burgers without any types of vegetables.

That leaves more health conscious tribal members like Larry King with fewer choices. When he saw food with "big chunks of fat," he decided not to eat at the marketplace.

Reply   Options 

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon4/7/06 5:38 PM 
To: Cherokee21 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 10) 
 2006.2 in reply to 2006.1 

I'm afraid that's a big problem in America in general - people of all backgounds seem to go for the high-fat and also the processed, refined foods. Since going through Weight Watchers and losing alot of weight, I've had to completely change what I eat - and change my lifestyle too.

Actually, I'm still working on changing my lifestyle so I won't go back to the old behavior. It really requires a total makeover as far as perception, behavior, thought patterns and behavior. I'm really finding out that there's not permanent outward change unless there's a complete change within. It all starts within and moves outward.

The white American culture I grew up in has no guidelines or directions on how to go inward; we are very outward and externally oriented. This is a continuing journey and learning experience for me.

Jeanne

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 10) 
 2006.3 in reply to 2006.2 

Good luck Jeanne: I'm try it also. Boy, would it be nice to eat a ripe hunk of pineapple every day. YUMMY.

Here's a hug tio help ya.

((((((((((((((Jeanne))))))))))))

Tim

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon4/9/06 9:05 PM 
To: Cherokee21 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 10) 
 2006.4 in reply to 2006.3 

Thanks for the hug, Tim - I'm sending a cypber hug right back to you!

Pineapple's great!  I'm substituting fruit for sweets (as in ice cream, chocolate, M&M's, etc).  Works most of the time.

Jeanne

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 10) 
 2006.5 in reply to 2006.4 

Thanks Jeanne. But can you put pineapple in coffee instead of sugar?

: )

Tim

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon4/10/06 1:21 PM 
To: Cherokee21 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 10) 
 2006.6 in reply to 2006.5 

I don't think pineapple in coffe would work :-( A splash of pineapple juice in ice tea is great, though!

Jeanne

• Edited 4/10/2006 1:21 pm by Pineapple Princess (JEANNE2469)

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 10) 
 2006.7 in reply to 2006.6 

now that does sound good.

Tim

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon4/11/06 1:00 PM 
To: Cherokee21 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 10) 
 2006.8 in reply to 2006.7 

Frozen pineapple slices and spears are good, too. So are frozen grapes. I do frozen grapes alot.

I don't know if I'd like frozen pineapple or grapes if I lived someplace where it's snowing, but in Hawaii, where it doesn't get too cold, they're fine.

Over here, we think it's a "cold" day if it's 75 degrees and the wind's blowing. Those of us who live here are all wearing sweaters and jackets and the tourists in Waikiki are all wearing shorts and tank tops - because when it's 75 degrees here, it's "winter" and alot colder in other places.

Jeanne

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 10) 
 2006.9 in reply to 2006.8 

LOL...You are funny. I forge what 75 degrees feels like. It was almost 70 today and felt great.
I have not treid frozen pineapple, but I LOVE frozen grapes. They are especially good in the summer. We don;t get as hot as the islands, but we can hit 95 to 100 at times.

Tim

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon4/12/06 1:00 PM 
To: Cherokee21 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 10) 
 2006.10 in reply to 2006.9 

I think the humidity in the summer time makes it feel hotter here than it actually is. When it gets up to 90 degrees, we're dying - it feels really hot. But I have noticed the difference between the same temperature when the humidity is higher or lower. 75 degrees here when the humidity is low and a breeze is blowing is rather chilly and you need a light jacket or sweater. But the same 75 degrees when the humidity is high and there's no breeze blowing feels much warmer.

But we're still such "creampuffs" over here - it gets below 70 degrees and we think it's absolutely freerzing!

Jeanne

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.