General Discussion -  Author: I was manhandled by Means (22 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 4) 
Author: I was manhandled by Russell Means
Friday, December 1, 2006

"I was manhandled by Russell Means on Pine Ridge. It wasn't much of a manhandling, but it was symptomatic of the fate of the American Indian Movement, a fate that hangs uneasily over Indian country even today, and so merits a few words.

It happened on Halloween, at Oglala Lakota College, where I was speaking about my new book, ''The Unquiet Grave: The FBI and the Struggle for the Soul of Indian Country.'' During the question-and-answer session, Means, the potent AIM leader who in the 1970s was admired throughout Indian America, took exception to several of my findings. It was a vintage Means performance: bellicose, self-aggrandizing, belittling, oblivious to any interpretation of facts save his own. After the Q and A, Means continued his critique (much of it unprintable) from about three inches off me. As his threats and insults reached a peak, he grabbed my shoulder with one meaty hand and knocked my glasses off with the other. I declined to take his bait - he clearly hoped to provoke a fistfight - and the host got him away from me and out the door before he could escalate matters.

What had so angered Means? Many things, but two of the findings that most riled him have also stirred passions across Indian country (both for and against me) and deserve discussion."

Get the Story:
Steve Hendricks: Manhandled by Russell Means (Indian Country Today 11/30)

Reply   Options 

From: Melissa (RunngDear) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/6/06 9:35 PM 
To: Cherokee21 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 4) 
 2129.2 in reply to 2129.1 

I want to say the guy is lucky that was all that happened to him.  Probably not politcally correct and all...

What other books has this person wrote?  What kind of qualifications does this person have?

I had best stop now.  Gonna git my big mouth goin and big rear in trouble!!!

From: Melissa (RunngDear) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/6/06 10:50 PM 
To: Cherokee21 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 4) 
 2129.3 in reply to 2129.1 

The Unquiet Grave: The FBI and the Struggle for the Soul of Indian Country - A Book Review by Robert Robideau

Book Review By Robert Robideau Co-Director of the Leonard Peltier Defense Committee

The Unquiet Grave: The FBI and the Struggle for the Soul of Indian Country by Steve Hendricks

Steve Hendrick's new book The Unquiet Grave: The FBI and the Struggle for the Soul of Indian Country is focused on the 1976 execution style killing of Anna Mae Aquash, a Mic Mac from Nova Scotia, Canada.

http://lpdctexas.blogspot.com/2006/10/unquiet-grave-fbi-and-struggle-for.html

From: Melissa (RunngDear) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/6/06 10:53 PM 
To: Cherokee21 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 4) 
 2129.4 in reply to 2129.1 

See for yourself...

http://www.stevehendricks.org/

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.