Activism -  Mistreatment of Native Women (40 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Isis (georgia18) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/10/07 12:35 AM 
To: All  (1 of 6) 

Announcement from BBC Radio Four: Mistreatment of Native American women

3/8/2007

http://www.nativeti mes.com/index. asp?action= displayarticle&article_id=8632

BBC Radio Four, the UK's most respected speech based radio network, is making a documentary about the forced sterilization of women in the United States by the Indian Health Service. We would be very grateful to hear from the women who suffered from either being forced or coerced in to having a sterilization operation during the 1970's onwards.

It is crucial for us is to hear people's stories in their own words. Very few interviews with women directly affected by these practices have ever been recorded, and through this documentary we would like to put on the record the experiences of Native American women.

This is a story which remains completely unknown and untold in the UK.
As this is an extremely sensitive topic we would keep all names, locations etc completely confidential.

Our female production team will be flying out to record interviews in the US for 4 days from the 10th of April this year and we would like to hear from any women that would potentially like to speak to them for this programme.

We understand that this is an incredibly sensitive area and will be extremely grateful if people take part.

Please email in confidence the following producers:
Jo.meek@allout. co.uk
Cordelia.rayner@ allout.co. uk

Many thanks for taking time to read this request.

__._,_.___

Tsoo Gus Us Di Au Ge Hi

1MedWheel.gif (6431 bytes)
                    CHESS SHOWGIRLS

Chess, Goddess and Everything

Goddesschess

Las Vegas Showgirls Do Chess

A humorous view of Histoy

Set The Record Straight Forum

UNITED NATIONS OF TURTLE ISLAND

Native Rights and Information

Open Forum

Reply   Options 

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/15/07 1:07 PM 
To: Isis (georgia18) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 6) 
 2171.2 in reply to 2171.1 

This is happening NOW, in the present and not sometime in the past????

I know that in the 1970s in Los Angeles, there was an outcry as something like this was happening to Black and Hispanic women who were poor. When they'd go into General Hospital for whatever reason (seeking health treatment), they'd be made to sign papers and they didn't know what they were signing; these were women in poverty who were not literate enough to be able to read what they were signing and the paperwork was presented to them as if it were part of the check-in procedure. Turns out they were signing papers giving the hospital permission to sterilize them based on the assumption that illiterate, poor women of color should not be producing offspring they could not support financially and therefore continue the cylcle of poverty.

Jeanne

From: Isis (georgia18) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/16/07 10:01 PM 
To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 6) 
 2171.3 in reply to 2171.2 
This is another ugly face of Genocide...

Tsoo Gus Us Di Au Ge Hi

CHESS SHOWGIRLS

Goddesschess

Open Forum

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/18/07 2:26 AM 
To: Isis (georgia18) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 6) 
 2171.4 in reply to 2171.3 

That was a terrible thing to do to these women; they were really taken advantage of because they were illiterate and could not read what they were signing.  Hospital officials were telling them that they were merely signing admission forms, so they were delibrately misleading these women.

Jeanne

From: Isis (georgia18) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/18/07 3:15 AM 
To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 6) 
 2171.5 in reply to 2171.4 

Hi Jeanne,

It is a terrible the way our Native People have been treated throughouut the years.  We must remember these women, so we don't forget.

I wonder if this happened to Native Hawaiian women?

I will not be posting much tonight, my computer is running real slow and it is getting late.  I am glad that I got a chance to reply to your post though.

Love

Tsoo Gus Us Di Au Ge Hi

CHESS SHOWGIRLS

Goddesschess

Open Forum

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/19/07 1:13 AM 
To: Isis (georgia18) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 6) 
 2171.6 in reply to 2171.5 

Well, I don't know if the Hawaiian women got singled out over the men to be treated badly; but it always hurts to be shoved aside by others who want to take what you have.

Jeanne

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.