Culture and History -  Pow Wow's Detroit area..... (85 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Madam D (MadamD) DelphiPlus Member Icon10/3/07 1:59 PM 
To: All  (1 of 8) 

COMING TOGETHER: Tribes ready to powwow
American Indians from across country to attend
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070927/NEWS02/709270414/1004
September 27, 2007

BY NIRAJ WARIKOO

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

American Indians from across the country will descend on Wyandotte this weekend for what's expected to be their largest gathering in metro Detroit this year.

The powwow will focus on children, making sure future generations learn their heritage and preserve their rights.

Advertisement
"This keeps our culture together," said Fay Givens, powwow organizer and executive director of American Indian Services in Lincoln Park. "It's an opportunity to share our traditional beliefs ... and come together."

The powwow comes just a few weeks after the United Nations passed a resolution declaring the rights of indigenous peoples around the world. The resolution was adopted after more than 20 years of debate and research that included the input of a Grosse Ile woman, Kay McGowan, who works on American Indian issues.

"It's a wonderful document," said McGowan, who is Givens' sister. "It establishes a minimum standard for the treatment of indigenous people ... and it establishes for the first time that there are collective rights for them."

The only disappointment for McGowan was that the United States -- along with Canada, Australia, and New Zealand -- voted against the resolution, arguing that the resolution interfered with their laws. Voting in favor were 143 countries.

In metro Detroit, poverty and health care continue to be problems for American Indian communities. Givens' group American Indian Services is part of a pending federal lawsuit filed in Detroit last year that asks the U.S. government to ensure that American Indians receive proper health care -- as required under Indian treaties.

"We're trying to get what was promised to us by the federal government," Givens said. "We are effectively silenced."

This weekend, their voices will be heard.

About 300 tribes will be represented at the gathering, including Seminole Indians from Florida, Lakota from the Dakotas and Ojibwa from Canada. The powwow is open to all -- free for children and senior citizens -- featuring special performances from various tribes and award-winning musicians.

"There will be a lot of interaction," said Bryan Halfday of Windsor, a powwow organizer. "It's to bring culture to the people."

Contact NIRAJ WARIKOO at 248-351-2998 or nwarikoo@freepress.com.

Reply   Options 

From: Madam D (MadamD) DelphiPlus Member Icon10/3/07 2:00 PM 
To: Madam D (MadamD) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 8) 
 2273.2 in reply to 2273.1 

A powwow to honor children
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070918/YAK01/709180395/1073/YAK
September 18, 2007

The summer powwow season may be winding down, but it's not yet over.

Can you hear the drumming? That's the powwow heartbeat, calling Native Americans from hundreds of tribes to gather for the Detroit area's largest powwow of the year, September 28-30 in Wyandotte.

Advertisement
"We're happy when we come together to dance and socialize with each other," said Fay Givens, director of American Indian Services, which is hosting the event.

"Everyone is welcome from every tribe. It gives us an opportunity to come together as Indian people."

Are non-native families invited?

"Absolutely," said Fay, a member of the Inkillis Tamaha Band of Mississippi Choctaw.

"This is where all the races of the world should come together and help us celebrate our culture. We feel like the flowers. There are many different colors, and when they come together, it's beautiful. That's how we see the powwow."

Last year, more than 300 tribes were represented at the Wyandotte powwow, which will be held in Bishop Park, downtown at Oak Street and the Detroit River.

And this year's gathering promises to be something extra special: It's being held in honor of children.

The American Indian Services Honor Our Children Traditional Powwow opens at 5 p.m. September 28, with a free concert by two outstanding performers: Arvel Bird, a fiddle player of Southern Paiute and Scottish ancestry, and Bill Miller, a Mohican singer and Grammy Award winner.

Gates open at 10:30 a.m. both September 29 and 30. Dancing will held both days, beginning at 1 p.m. September 29 with the grand entry, or formal procession of Native Americans into the dance circle.

There will be a grand re-entry, or second procession, at 6 p.m. September 29.

A grand entry will also be held at 1 p.m. on September 30.

"People enter the arena in a kind of order, veterans first," Fay explained.

"People should stand. There will be memorial songs and prayer songs. The flags will be brought in -- native flags and the U.S. flag. Then the dancers enter..."

It's fun to just sit outside the circle and watch -- and admire the beauty and pride of the dancers and their beautiful tribal regalia, or traditional clothes. Everything is handmade from deerskin, fur, feathers, beads, porcupine quills and other materials!

And there will be plenty of other fun, including food and native people from more than 100 tribes selling native crafts, including bear claw necklaces, medicine bags, jewelry, artwork and sacred herbs and grasses to honor the earth.

Admission is free for kids 12 and under and for those 62 and older. Admission is $7 for everyone else.

Don't miss this joyous celebration honoring the First Children and First Peoples of Detroit, the nation, and the Americas!

By Patricia Chargot

Artwork by MARTHA THIERRY

To: Madam D (MadamD) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 8) 
 2273.3 in reply to 2273.2 

Good morning,  Madam D...

But what an ironic place for the local indiain center to be putting on a powow!

And if you know any Wyndots out west they'd tell you why...

Though this one is meant to inform and not to inflame...

Otherwise what a couple of very revealing repostings!

I thank you for sharing them with us here as well...

FYI...

Later....

Peace...

• Edited 10/4/2007 9:20 am ET by ctj2010

From: Madam D (MadamD) DelphiPlus Member Icon10/4/07 2:12 PM 
To: ctj2010  (4 of 8) 
 2273.4 in reply to 2273.3 
Not sure what you are tying to say here CTJ...do you try to be mystic…it isn’t working… All it is doing is causing confusion...but maybe that is what you do...please explain what you mean??? And I do not know any Wyndots..Not even sure there any descendants around these days...BTW in the e-mail you sent to me… you call me DEE…my name is Debbra…

To: Madam D (MadamD) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 8) 
 2273.5 in reply to 2273.4 

Good evening,  Debbra...

And I do appreciate the information you passed along about the upcoming powow...

But it does seem odd that a local indian group would have a powow in a place which plasters indian head logos on their munipical vehicles...

To say the least?

Except for a totem pole on main street and a belated tribute in bronze to the original residents of the place:

Not any indians I know of live in Wyandotte,  MI.

Each region of the country has its own history of indian/white relations:

This was also where Pontiac raised a bit of hell...

And believe me?

Some of the descendants of the folk he terrorized never let me forget that either!

FYI...

Later...

To: All  (6 of 8) 
 2273.6 in reply to 2273.1 
This is a printer friendly version of an article from www.Monroenews.com

Article published Oct 4, 2007
Native American counselor
speaks on healing history

"Mitakuye Oyasin." We are all related.

And after centuries of hurt and trauma, it will take a related effort to heal.

This was the message Tokala Hoc'okan Waokiua Ob Mani or the "Warrior Who Walks among the Living Energy and Helps Make Live" brought to Monroe Wednesday night. Mr. Tokala delivered a talk titled "Life is a Ceremony" at Ellis Reference & Information Center.

Mr. Tokala, who holds two master's degrees, works as a counselor with 11- to 17-year-olds in the Rosebud Sioux Tribal Juvenile Court.

He first spoke about hocokan - or the voice in the center - the thing that keeps us balanced. The vibrations that we hear from outside as well as those coming from the voice help to direct us in negative or positive ways, Mr. Tokala said.

"When we talk about body, mind, spirit, we're talking about something we can control," he said. "Something that needs to be in harmony. And how do we go about doing that? The spirit needs to be grounded."

After generations of pain and imbalance pile up, there is no grounding. The different waves of family get lost in negativity.

In babies, Mr. Tokala said, the hole on the top of their heads allows their spirits to enter and leave the child's body until it closes up. That time period is called the imprint stage. Love is one of the most grounding forces people can experience, he said, because it's nourishing and spawns good vibrations. So if there is no love, or there is something else instead, the time of imprinting can be lost, the person can be lost.

"It's when the attitude and the personality are being developed," said Mr. Tokala. "There are so many who don't get what they need during the imprint stage. We have to figure out how to bring them back to that groundedness."

He said with Native Americans there is a history of hurt, leading to anger. The move to reservations, forcing Native kids to go to boarding schools where they lost their spirituality and language, broken treaties and infestations of small pox heap together.

"We carry a lot of anger," he said. "A lot of trauma has been created from these lines. When I ask if (the youth) pray before they eat and pray before they go to bed, when I ask them these questions, they tell me they don't know how to pray. They don't know who to pray to."

One woman in the audience asked how it could be changed.

"I don't really want to talk about what was in the past so much because I can't really affect that," she said. "I want to discuss our young people and what I can do, and what you are doing. I don't want to talk about what was, I guess, but what is."

"We're working on that," said Mr. Tokala. "We have to heal that history of trauma."

The answer was to help children come back to the center, to show how to respect their elders, to be taught spirituality.

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon10/5/07 5:28 PM 
To: ctj2010  (7 of 8) 
 2273.7 in reply to 2273.5 

Oh, I think that anyplace where there's a Native American community and a commuity of other people who may want to learn something is a good place for a pow wow.

Native Americans aren't indigenous to Hawaii, but we have pow wows here.  Lots of Native Americans and other people attend and everyone has a good old time.

Jeanne

MiscHonolulu029.jpg Sun Behind The Palms picture by coconutqueen_hawaii

KamehamehaStatueandWaikiki024.jpg King Kamehameha Statue Downtown Honolulu picture by coconutqueen_hawaii

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 8) 
 2273.8 in reply to 2273.7 

I'm just about folk being consistent as regards who they choose to relate to and why...

I'm also not familiar with the people who put on that particular powow...

And now that I also have found out one is a Choctaw descendant:

I'd like to!

So sorry I found out about the get together after the fact:

I do hope it all went well anyhow!

Later...

Peace...

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.