Culture and History -  On the Lighter Side - Cherokee Marbles (29 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/1/07 1:27 PM 
To: All  (1 of 6) 

I have just recently subscribed to something called CherokeeLink Newsletter and there's an item in the one I just received that caught my eye.

The Cherokee Heritage Center is offering a class in Cherokee marble making and if I lived anywhere near there, I'd be taking this class.

In part, the write-up says:

The Cherokee Heritage Center is offering a class in traditional Cherokee marble making on Saturday, December 1 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.  Cherokee National Treasure, Hastings Shade will instruct the class. 

This class is an introduction to the nearly lost traditional technique of marble making.  The history and rules of the game will be included in the class instruction.  Each participant will create their own marble.  The class is part of a series of cultural classes offered by the Cherokee Heritage Center. 

Cherokee marbles is one of the few games that has survived and continues to be a popular sport.  The object of the game is to land marbles in a hole on an L-shaped course by tossing underhanded.  Team work and strategy play a large part in beating your opponent.

To read the entire article, click on:

http://www.cherokee.org/PressRoom/2455/story.aspx

Aloha, Jeanne

treesandsky013.jpg image by coconutqueen_hawaii

Reply   Options 

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 6) 
 2341.2 in reply to 2341.1 

Jeanne, I feel at times, like today at work, that I have lost my Cherokee marbles. : )

Tim

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/21/07 10:54 PM 
To: Cherokee21 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 6) 
 2341.3 in reply to 2341.2 

Sometimes I wonder about myself and I don't have any Cherokee marbles...sometimes I just have haole (how-lee) marbles.  Haole is what the Hawaiians call white people. 

It's not necessarily bad to be a haole.  But it isn't good to be insensitive.... I like to think I'm not.

Aloha, Jeanne

ChristmasTree001.jpg picture by coconutqueen_hawaii

Mele Kalikimaka!

From: Cherokee21 DelphiPlus Member Icon12/21/07 11:28 PM 
To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 6) 
 2341.4 in reply to 2341.3 

I can say you are very sensitive, caring and a good all around person. And I for one am glad you are here.

Mele Kalikimaka!

To Every one!

Tim

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/21/07 11:42 PM 
To: Cherokee21 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 6) 
 2341.5 in reply to 2341.4 

Thank you for the compliment.  I like it here - you've got a nice place here.

Mele Kalikimaka and Hau'ole Makahiki Hou (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Hawaiian).

Aloha, Jeanne

ChristmasTree001.jpg picture by coconutqueen_hawaii

Mele Kalikimaka!

To: Cherokee21 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 6) 
 2341.6 in reply to 2341.4 

Jeanne, I've heard this song twice in the last two days...: ) Made me think of you each time.

Tim

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.