News -  Many Cherokee Following Ancient Traditio (56 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 3) 
Many Cherokee Following Ancient Traditions Of Balance And Harmony
Cherokee Reservation, North Carolina: While Isaac Welch's BIA card says he belongs to the Eastern Band of the Cherokee, it's his hat that shows his spiritual  path. A small metal feather is pinned on the crown, and a black feather juts from the hatband beaded in a red, yellow and black coil that looks like a Scarlet King Snake. Those signs reveal Welch to be a warrior, a messenger and a man of peace.  "We are not a religious people, we are a spiritual people," said Welch, a full-blood tribal member and elder in the Yellow Star Society.  For the Cherokee and other tribes, worship is a daily way of life, not just on holidays or in special places.  "Everything we Cherokee do is religious.  We danced to balance the earth," said Raven Hail, a 79-year-old Cherokee from Oklahoma.

"Cherokee" as written in the Cherokee Syllabary.  
Is written and pronounced as "Tsa - la - gi."  [g as in go, i sounds like ee]
The English word, "Cherokee," is a corruption of that name.

Thoughts from the Cherokee:
"The hardest thing for Native Americans is [to] unlearn Judeo-Christian English concepts and concrete terms." Isaac Welch,  Eastern Cherokee

"Cherokee Spirituality is not just for the Cherokee, but for all the children of Mother Earth.  The mountains have not been asleep, but the people have been deaf, dumb and blind.  There is a reawakening of Cherokee spirituality." Raven Hail,  Western Cherokee

"Survival depended on the land -- you had to respect it.  But I think that's true of everybody's ancestors, whether Indian or Celtic.  We are all interconnected." Marijo Moore, Cherokee heritage

"This was the first group I knew I was accepted in.  This is where I learned that the warrior is himself a spiritual person." Deane Killion, Cherokee, Yellow Star Society

"[The traditions] have to be passed down by word of mouth to keep them alive." Shim Welch, 14, Cherokee

"Everything on Earth is a mirror image of something in the sky," Raven Hail, Western Cherokee

[Some non-Indians} "they think they can get this in a weekend, that doing a sweat will make you a shaman.  It's not something you can buy or become.  Having a dreamcatcher doesn't make you an Indian.  You're either born an Indian or you're not."  Marijo Moore, Cherokee heritage
Cherokee syllabary:
www.native-languages.org/ cherokee_alphabet.htm
http://www.ucan-online.org/legend.asp?legend=5153&category=9

Reply   Options 

To: wredgranny unread  (2 of 3) 
 2513.2 in reply to 2513.1 

It seems that we are coming across some of the same reference sources!

(Smile)...

FYI...

From: Mike (stormstudio) DelphiPlus Member Icon10/7/08 9:09 PM 
To: wredgranny unread  (3 of 3) 
 2513.3 in reply to 2513.1 

"word of mouth to keep them alive"; vv', it's essential. All of the old ways learned, were received orally. Some words, concepts [like my visioned name spoken in Tsalagi], required waiting for a year or more before being called it by name. Several trips to Birdtown near Qualla [NC], which I was more than glad to make for many reasons. Having access to those who knew out there, in OK, and DC. Grateful to have it.

Just witnessing the fact - yes, there are many traditionals. Have been to stompdances that numbered yunwiya a hundred over, common in good weather.

Dohiya,

Amaye  

• Edited 10/8/2008 1:02 am by Mike (stormstudio)

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.