News -  Cherokee receives $125K scholarship (31 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon11/1/08 12:53 AM 
To: All  (1 of 5) 

Cherokee receives $125K scholarship for Harvard

By Staff Reports

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – A Cherokee Nation citizen was one of 11 American Indians students from across the United States to receive a $125,000 scholarship from Accenture’s American Indian Scholarship Fund.

Robert Humble, a 25-year-old originally from Collinsville, Okla., who now resides in Cambridge, was the only Cherokee to receive the scholarship in October. He will use the funds to attend Harvard Business School and complete his graduate degree.

He joins the ranks of fellow Cherokee Jay H. Calhoun of Tahlequah, Okla., who received the Accenture scholarship in 2006 to attend Dartmouth College in Hanover, N.H.

More than 110 students applied for this year’s scholarship program, established by Accenture in 2004. The program looks for the highest-achieving American Indian and Alaska Native students seeking degrees and careers in technology, professional and business fields. Candidates are evaluated based on academic excellence, leadership ability and a commitment to American Indian culture and community. The candidates are also required to provide proof of enrollment in a federally recognized American Indian/Alaskan Native tribe.

“This year’s candidate pool was extremely impressive and filled with deserving students,” said Randy Willis, senior executive sponsor of Accenture’s American Indian employee resource group. “Our review process identified our 11 final candidates as exceptional men and women with a strong ability to represent – and give back to – the American Indian community. We are honored to assist them.”

Accenture is a global management consulting, technology services and outsourcing company. Accenture collaborates with clients to help them become high-performance businesses and governments. With more than 186,000 people in 49 countries, the company generated net revenues of $23.39 billion for the fiscal year ending Aug. 31, 2008. For more information on Accenture, visit www.accenture.com.

http://www.cherokeephoenix.org/3138/Article.aspx

• Edited 11/1/2008 12:54 am by Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469)

Reply   Options 

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 5) 
 2538.2 in reply to 2538.1 

Good afternoon,  Jeanne...

And folks like the scholarship winner are going to usher in the future...

Let us hope and pray they also heed the advice of their elders etc. as well...

FYI...

Take care...

Peace...

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon11/1/08 9:40 PM 
To: ctj2010  (3 of 5) 
 2538.3 in reply to 2538.2 

I work in the financial aid office of a major university and see first hand than many Native American communities, tribes and reservations are very active in giving their young people scholarships for higher education.  Many people don't know that.  I didn't know that before going to work in this office.

Jeanne

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 5) 
 2538.4 in reply to 2538.3 

Osiyo,  friend of my distant (or not so distant) relations..

I am both pleased and surprised to hear and read about that!

I also do hope and pray today's youth realize and recognize the efforts etc. such folk are making,  i. e.,  so they can make a effort-- by the way of giving back what they have already received beforehand --too...

So,  wado,  Jeanne,  wado...

Take care...

Peace...

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon11/2/08 11:35 PM 
To: ctj2010  (5 of 5) 
 2538.5 in reply to 2538.4 

Yes, I think it's wonderful news.

Jeanne

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.