Link Center Foundation
An All-Volunteer Colorado 501c3 Non-Profit Organization
P.O. Box 576 - Firestone, CO 80520
Office Phone: 303-833-6520 - Toll Free Phone: 888-220-1653
EMERGENCY WINTER HEATING/UTILITY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
October, 2008 through March, 2009
For the Elders, Disabled and the Sick Living on the
Lakota Sioux Reservations in South Dakota
Our goal is to raise $20,000.
We are not grant-funded at this time. We depend on YOU, the individual donor, to help these families in crisis.
§ Average income on the Oglala Lakota Sioux Pine Ridge Reservation is about $3,500.00 per YEAR. Jobs are extremely scarce; unemployment hovers around 85% on this 11,000-square-mile reservation which houses about 40,000 people. The other Lakota Reservations face similar economic conditions.
§ Death by hypothermia is always a concern on the reservations. Each winter (October – March), temperatures drop well below 0*F. Many families must choose between food and heat. In some cases, they have neither.
§ Federal LHEAP and Tribal Assistance Programs offer each low-income family approximately $300 per year. With the current rate of propane at $2.20 per gallon, this provides only 136 gallons – about enough fuel for 2 to 4 weeks (depending on the harsh weather).
§ Propane prices have already risen about 33% since last winter, and are expected to rise much higher as this winter goes on. Those families surviving with electric heat also face major increases in cost.
§ Propane companies require minimum amounts of propane to be purchased before delivery (currently $125 to $355 depending on the company). These minimum requirements are expected to skyrocket as the high cost of truck fuel increases. This makes families struggle even harder to accumulate enough funds at one time to ensure a delivery.
The Link Center Foundation has already received numerous emergency assistance applications that cannot be filled due to lack of funds. With propane, wood, and electricity prices continually rising, many more requests for help are expected to arrive.
95% of ALL donations to our heating/utility fund are USED for the heating/utility fund. The remaining 5% covers bank, credit card, and processing fees.
YOU Can Make A Difference!
All applicants are screened and documented
Payments are made directly to utility, propane, wood, or heat equipment companies
Donations carefully tracked and accountable
No donation too small
Visit www.linkcenterfoundation.org/id21.html to see map of Reservations
Visit www.linkcenterfoundation.org/id24.html to learn more about conditions on the Reservations
As with all Non-Profits, your donations are tax deductible to the extent allowable by law.
Please consult your tax advisor.
Please mark your check: "Emergency Utility and Heating Fund"
Please send donations to:
Link Center Foundation
P.O. Box 576 – Firestone, CO 80520-0576
For Credit Card Donations, please visit our website at www.linkcenterfoundation.org