Those who have passed on -  Steph Schwartz crosses over (28 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 2) 

I was notified today that Steph Schwartz, an Indian journalist died. 

This is from a sister, Tamra.

Tim

Stephs crossing over was completely unexpected, which has left her daughter with huge financial burden. A memorial fund is in the process of being set up within the next day for those of you that could assist Steph’s family in this devastating time. I will forward the details how you can contribute, as soon as the fund is established.   

We have created an online guestbook memorial, which folks can share their thoughts and regards, this way Steph’s family will be able to read how much she meant to everyone and to Indian Country.

Please visit the page at http://stephanie- schwartz. gonetoosoon. org

Memorial service info will be forwarded out soon as well.

Thank you.

In Memory of Stephanie M. Schwartz

January 17, 1947 - August 17, 2009

It is with a sad heart that I bring this news to you today, our dear friend and sister Stephanie Schwartz has left for her journey to the spirit world. Steph suffered from a brain aneurism late Sunday night, she was immediately admitted to the hospital and remained in a coma and unresponsive until she passed away, Monday August 17th just before 11:00 pm (mtn time).

Steph was 62 years of age and resided in Firestone, Colorado . Stephanie is survived by her only daughter Caitlin Schwartz and fiancé Matthew Rumery, a sister Renee Bolton, four nieces and nephews:  Jennifer Mitchell, Kathy Naumann, William Sutfin and William Borton in addition to many, many beloved friends.

Steph was a member of NAJA and a well known journalist in Indian Country. She was the webmaster and editor for Wambli-Ho news publication. Her work and research has been published in Native publications for over a decade. She tirelessly dedicated her life working to help the elders and the Lakota people on the South Dakota Reservations.  Her outstanding and renown publication written in October 2006, Arrogance of Ignorance about the reality of life and hardships on the SD Reservations, was published and referenced in journals across the country. Read more of Steph’s writings at http://silvrdrach. homestead. com/Index. html

Steph volunteered for Link Center Foundation, a non profit organization, providing heating assistance to the elderly and disabled on the South Dakota Reservations since 2002. Steph became the Director of the foundation in 2008 after founder Audrey Link passed away.

Many of you may recall the devastating blizzards we had in South Dakota this past winter, along with severe life threatening temperatures. Steph literally worked 15+ hours a day, flooded with calls and applications for people in need this winter. She refused to rest until funding was secured and it was all taken care of, which ultimately of course, ended up not being until winter was finally over. I remember talking with her at all hours of the night and early morning, asking her if she ever even went to sleep, many times her response was well for a couple hours maybe. Steph was a warrior woman, she always put the people and their needs before her own. 

Steph volunteered with so many issues over the years, including building the website and helping to bring awareness to “Miracle,” the sacred white buffalo calf, born on August 20, 1994. She also volunteered for Wolakota for many years.

She was very dedicated and faithful to her work, the people and most of all, to her spirituality and this way of life.

Steph, you will truly be missed by many, your legacy and footprints will always remain. It was an honor to know you my dear friend and sister, we laughed, cried and walked thru many challenges together over the years, your guidance and wisdom will never be forgotten.

I know you will be welcomed with open arms by many elders, that have gone before us.

We will celebrate your life and the path you walked, and wish you a safe journey home.  

Much respect,

Your little sis

Tamra Brennan

In peace & solidarity,
Tamra Brennan
www.NDNnews. com
www.protectsacredsi tes.org
www.protectbearbutt e.com

PROTECT BEAR BUTTE !

"Providing news and information about Native American Issues & Causes"
"Helping to make a difference for our people in Indian Country, one day at a time. What will you do today to help make a difference?"

"Our sacred lands are all that remain keeping us connected to our place on Mother Earth, to our spirituality, our heritage and our lands; what’s left of them. If they take it all away, what will remain except a vague memory of a past so forgotten?" ......excerpt from One Nation, One Land , One People by Tamra Brennan, 2006

Reply   Options 

To: Cherokee21 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 2) 
 2582.2 in reply to 2582.1 

Do pass along my condolences to the friends and family of this beloved indian journalist...

Thank you...

Later...

Peace...

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.