General/Headlines -  A Date of Infamy (87 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 13) 

A Date of Infamy                                     
by Kerby Anderson

Today is December 7 – a day that President Roosevelt said would be “a date which will live in infamy.” On that fateful morning of December 7, 1941, America was attacked without warning. More than 2,400 Americans died and 1,100 were wounded. Our country was changed forever.

This attack led us into war, and the citizens of America responded with courage and resolve. So it may be well to reflect on what took place and how we today must also rise to the occasion of an attack on America more than eight decades ago.

Today is known as National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. It is a day when we honor the lives lost in that attack on Pearl Harbor and also honor the veterans of World War II. But it can also be a day in which we pay tribute to the men and women who are currently serving in the armed forces in an effort to promote freedom and justice around the world.

If you travel to Hawaii, you need to stop at the memorial in Pearl Harbor. The USS Arizona stands as a testimony to the 1,177 crew members who died as a result of the attack on December 7. I understand that more than 40 million people have visited that memorial and have therefore honored the heroic efforts of these sailors and marines. If you have been there, you know that it has become a sacred place as well as a reminder of what can happen when others (either a nation or terrorists) attack this nation.

In 1941, the enemies of the US were Japan and Germany. Today they are our friends. But we have new enemies, terrorists who want to destroy us and to destroy our way of life. We are protected from their evil intentions by those who serve in uniform.

So today, take a moment to reflect on your freedom that was bought with a price. And honor those who died for your freedoms and honor those who protect you today. December 7 is an important day, and I didn’t want it to pass without challenging you to consider its importance.

Dear politically correct, godless, liberals who are genuinely offended at the sight of the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.

Stop, Drop, and Roll won't work in Hell.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

Reply   Options 

To: Norrie (NORRIEJ)  (2 of 13) 
 17033.2 in reply to 17033.1 

>>>In 1941, the enemies of the US were Japan and Germany<<<

Quite interesting I must say because my mother was German and my wife is Japanese! (* CHUCKLE *)

Interesting how things turned out.

FWIW

To: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 13) 
 17033.3 in reply to 17033.2 

LOL  You traitor!

Dear politically correct, godless, liberals who are genuinely offended at the sight of the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

To: Norrie (NORRIEJ)  (4 of 13) 
 17033.4 in reply to 17033.3 

LOL... 

The Gestapo led brown shirts raided my mom's home several times when she was in Jr. High. They came in saying they were looking for Jews... and when they didn't find any, they took paintings, heirlooms, jewelry, anything they thought was valuable. And they did that several times. Then, when the bombing raids started, she ran down to the bomb shelter under the home she lived in uncountable times and just sat there sometimes for hours listening to bombs dropping all over the place.

As for my wife... she was born a few years after WWII ended but felt the aftermath of the war during her elementary school years with the still devastated economy.

So neither of them really had it easy either.

FWIW

• Edited December 10, 2021 3:27 am  by  WALTER784

To: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 13) 
 17033.5 in reply to 17033.4 

At least they have you as a blessing.  :)  Do they get along?

To: Norrie (NORRIEJ)  (6 of 13) 
 17033.6 in reply to 17033.5 

Surprisingly yes... I have to translate for them, but both Germany and Japan are survivors of war and have many other things in common too. High quality and precision. Time punctuality. Lots of trains. Lost a war with the US. Built their economies back after the war. Numerous hardships in the process. 

FWIW

To: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 13) 
 17033.7 in reply to 17033.6 

You do have an interesting life.  :)

To: Norrie (NORRIEJ)  (8 of 13) 
 17033.8 in reply to 17033.7 

Norrie (NORRIEJ) said...

You do have an interesting life.  :)

If your life ain't interesting... ya gotta do something to make it interesting! (* CHUCKLE *)

My father was in the Air Force stationed in Bitburg, Germany right after the war. He met my mother at a restaurant right across the street from the air base. Married her and brought her home.

I was in the Navy stationed in Yokosuka, Japan quite a while after the war. Met my wife here in Japan and just decided to stay here.

If you trace my ancestry, 5 generations ago, my grandmother's grandmother was a Cherokee Indian and I have black and white pictures of her. So I know I'm much more American Indian that Elizabeth Warren! How do you get a DNA to test how American Indian you are? I'd love to find out just how much American Indian I am so I can rub it in Elizabeth's face!!! (* CHUCKLE *) But I never claimed Indian heritage to get me into anything.

And if you go back 7 generations, I have a Scottish Coat of Arms along with Kilt coloring as well. My first American decedents came from Scottland to South Carolina.

And if you trace my mother's parents, my grandmother was from Belgium and my grandfather was from Luxembourg. After the war, the immigrated to Germany and gained German citizenship. And my mother finally gained American citizenship after she moved to the US.

So I guess I'm just keeping up with my ancestry and passing my genes on to another civilization!

Per the Democrats, I'm a Scottish-Belgian-Luxembourg-German-American Indian-American.

But per me... I never liked that hyphenated crap and thus only consider myself a patriotic American... unhyphenated!!!

And probably more patriotic than most of them on Capitol Hill today!

FWIW 

To: WALTER784 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 13) 
 17033.9 in reply to 17033.8 

Those on Capital Hill are mostly Communists.  :(

Your kids are really Heinz 57!

To: Norrie (NORRIEJ)  (10 of 13) 
 17033.10 in reply to 17033.9 

Norrie (NORRIEJ) said...

Your kids are really Heinz 57!

Yep...

1/32nd Scottish, 1/16th Belgian. 1/16tn Luxembourg, 1/8th German, 1/4th American Indian, 1/2 American, 1/2 Japanese... and if we could trace my wife's ancestry back 5000 years or more, probably Chinese or Mongolian decent intermixed as well. And maybe even Saxon on my side! (* LOL *)

FWIW

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-13
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.