CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rae returning    Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 6/17/08 by Rae (raeanne50); 24100 views.
cookly

Nov-11

Yes, its Rae returning. Don't let cookly fool you. I change it soon. 

I thought for a long time I'd hit on the perfect harm reduction scheme. Only vodka, mixed with lots of water. Rarely felt drunk and didn't suffer hangovers.  But of course it was killing me and preventing any sort of meaningful life. 

A perfect storm occurred, followed by a huge wonderful opportunity to quit. It was all unplanned. My cherished 10 month old kitten Finnigan was killed on the road early  Oct 18, ( also my dtr's bd) . I raged, got drunk, didn't eat all day, and then I got sick, dangerously horribly sick. The illness lasted a week and it took another two weeks for me start eating again and getting some strength back. Then it dawned on me that I had a head start toward sobriety in those weeks of sickness. 

It not so hard this time, partly due to above, but also because I am applying all the lessons I learned before. 

It feels good to come back here. I am grateful this group exists.  

MaryLouise3

Nov-12

Rae, I am so glad to see you -- we are connected on FB but I rarely post much there.

Sorry to hear about your losing a kitten. Good to know that horrible bout of illness prompted you into  sobriety and I hope you have some support around in your neighborhood. How is your daughte? I remember you've had quite an up-and-down relationship overthe years.

Right now we're having a cooler wetter summer so far and I'm busy with the garden, planting herbs and  summer perennials. Another interest we have in common!

Do take care and keep posting.

xMary

MaryLouise3

Nov-12

Meant to add that I am having computer problems and the old hassles with logging in, so I'll get back to you when I can. The rains out here in the mountain keep knocking out wifi.

Take care

xMary

Brian (BrianB125)

Nov-12

Rae,

Great to see you back here.  Sorry to hear about your kitten, I know how hard that is.  One of our young cats, 3 years old, died last year and it was very hard to take.  But glad to hear it helped you stop drinking, something good came out of it.

Keep posting and letting us know how you are doing.

Brian

cookly

Nov-18

Fond greetings MaryLouise,  my sober journey continues without too much discomfort. I'm practicing more self care this time around. 

My daughter is 37 so this took a very long time, but we enjoy a good relationship now. She has a good job and good life in Vancouver, single and lives with a three legged cat that adopted her during a spca visit supposedly with a friend looking to adopt a cat. 

A cooler,wet summer sounds not too bad,or is it? We had a cooler summer too, meaning it didn't become horribly hot for long stretches and the forests didn't burn and fill the valley with smoke. So that was good. I broke my arm in July so couldn't do much  but I managed to pot up annuals for back porch colour. I installed two full spectrum lights in the house to aid indoor tropicals but of course its helpful to me and the critters too having light during a dreary winter.  

blush Rae

cookly

Nov-18

Hi Brian, see my post to ML for update. I'm doing well. bird 

Brian (BrianB125)

Nov-18

It would be nice to see some new faces on the forum, but it's great to see all us old timers doing well and puttering along on all the things we are interested in, not just sitting in rocking chairs - though I do a good bit of that on my front porch in West Virginia.

I think it must be fairly common for children and their parents to reunite as the children get older.  I didn't have much contact with my parents in my 20s.  I was a philosophy major, a draft dodger, and living out of wedlock with a woman - hard for them to understand.  Of course, they sold the house as soon as I left for college so I couldn't come home.  But some time in my late 30s we sort of reconciled - or at least accepted our differences.

I went to Canada for two weeks this summer - Toronto, Algonquin park and Montreal - which was wonderful, but when I came back the weeds had taken over my garden and I never had the energy to go after them.  I spend my time making kinetic sculptures modeled after those of George Rickey.  You can see some of them if you look me up on Instagram.  My newest one, no pictures yet, is a bird feeder teeter totter - two bowls balanced on a long arm - when I bird lights on one it slowly goes down.  The birds don't seem to mind and it's fun to watch.

Brian

MaryLouise3

Nov-20

Hi Rae

Sorry to hear you broke your arm, I hope it's fully healed now. I smiled to hear about your daughter being adopted by a cat because in my experience that is how cats operate -- they decide, they charm, they co-opt or adopt us!

And I'm very glad to hear you are getting along well with your daughter  these days,  I do think, as Brian says, that this is often what time does for some of our more tempestuous family relationships. And I can tell that the love of gardening and plants sustains you as it does me. Because of my deteriorating eyesight, I am doing more planting in containers and put many of my favourites on the  small verandah so that passersby can enjoy them and I can see them easily (not having to wonder what is that lilac blob at the far end of back garden?). Right now I have day lilies in glorious bloom, plectranthus coming up mauve and  blue, lavenders, old roses, indigenous flowering bushes and my agapanthus about to  burst into big blue flowerheads for December. I don't have indoor plants because my partner isn't keen on them but I do grow seedlings in cardboard egg boxes on  the bathroom windowsill! 

Take care, all love

xmary

MaryLouise3

Nov-20

Brian, I'm so enjoying your kinetic  sculptures for the garden. I looked up George Rickey and  am amazed at the dimensions he used,  such imposing outdoors constructs.

Brian (BrianB125)

Nov-20

Yes, finding him has been such an inspiration.  He started out as a painter, but during WW 2 he worked as a mechanic on the ball turrets of bombers.  This got him fascinated with the mechanics of movement, and after the war he started making his sculptures.  In September, Ellen and I went to Chicago and took a trip down to South Bend and the Snite Museum which has a number of his pieces.  We saw three of this outdoor sculptures and a number of his indoor ones.   This will keep me going for a number of years.

Brian