CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rae returning    Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 6/17/08 by Rae (raeanne50); 31598 views.
Brian (BrianB125)

2/19/20

First daffodils and crocus just popped up this morning, they weren't there when I came in yesterday evening.

cookly

2/19/20

Good for you Brian wink.   Our first bulbs are still in frozen ground with a foot of snow covering them. 

I reached the end of preparing  my greenroom downstairs. Its clean enough and I'm all organized. So yesterday, I took some cuttings from a pot plant, and planted eight seeds of another strain. Today I'm planting two trays of flowers, one petunias, one stained glass plant,( forget the Latin name). They each take a long time to germinate so they come first. Also on my list is 'Marvel of Peru" perennial blue flax, castor beans, and more.. I keep adding to the list.  

This might morph into a gardening journal, although I've maintained a paper one for decades and its a treasure. 

daisy20111

2/20/20

Yes! I love to garden too! And now i need to break the habit of having beers while i do it.

BTW Cookly...i totally agree...staying sober is a mind game...and the mind can really play tricks...thats what im working on.

I drank a little last night but made it sober the day before.

Slowly but surely im figuring out how to put sobriety above all else. And i will keep on trying and growing my sober self until its bigger than my drinking self.

Daisy

daisy20111

2/20/20

I neglect getring things done to stay sober too...i get it. I often drink to get through getting stuff done. Today ill go for another walk after work. Thata how i stayed sober a couple of days so far. Then home and eat and early bed...i have to replace what i do after work...a big having beer time for me

Daisy

cookly

3/10/20

just checking in. I'm still sober, happy and healthy. I gained 8 lbs since Nov so was pleased about that. 

Got a new kitten, her name is Fiona. She's a very pretty dark tabby. So that's put new energy into the house..the dogs are delighted, the old cats rebuff her as expected, but their growls and hisses are pretty feeble. Looking forward to getting outside and watching her discover all the marvels there..hopefully soon; its snowing today. 

My flowers are germinating nicely and needing more daily care; this is the part I love. I've seeded most of what I'm starting in the basement room, tomatoes and basil will be last. 

love to all, Rae  

Brian (BrianB125)

3/11/20

Rae,

Sounds wonderful.  I've got almost two months before I can put anything out in West Virginia - but flowers and trees are bursting out all over here in DC.  It's funny how your attitudes change.  I used to never like magnolias - just too gaudy - but on my morning walk yesterday I stopped and took a picture of one - it was right next to a three story house and it was just as tall as the house - and completely full of blossoms - you couldn't see the house behind it - just wonderful.

Glad I didn't gain 8 pounds - I need to lose them.

Brian

MaryLouise3

3/11/20

Hi Rae

Fiona sounds a beauty, I hope you put some pics up on FB.

And congrats on putting on some weight, being sober, healthy and best of all, happy!

I'll be starting my autumn planting soon and feel just as you do -- sometimes the planning is the most fun. I have an abundance of ripe tomatoes and basil for salads right now.

xxMary

Elsie (Elsiek)

3/12/20

Hi Rae

Aww, a kitten is just the best thing ever to raise the spirits! Fiona is a sweet name.  I'm so glad you are feeling well and stronger.  I have an acquaintance who has lost so much weight with her drinking and associated illnesses that she really does lack the strength to make a change. ( apparently she has a BMI of 14)  Like Brian, I really need to lose rather than gain weight, but at the same time, it's good to have a little in reserve. I have a friend going through chemo at the moment, and a therapist said he had read research that said that fasting around the time of treatments makes it more effective. Quite rightly my friend responded by saying 'sod that.' She is just relieved that she hasn't had terrible nausea or taste bud changes and is still enjoying her food!

Take care and have fun with Fiona x

cookly

Apr-8

So nice to come here and see how everybody's doing in this new surreal world. Looks like we're all doing the best we can. 

I don't venture far anyway so my life  is not as changed as some. I was happy to learn that garden centers are considered 'essential services' , and sure enough, they are open.  It won't be like the mad joyful rush of years past; fewer people at a time will be allowed in and shopping, I imagine, will include less dawdling.  I don't need much, as most of my own annuals are well under way but I like to add new things to the gardens too.   

Its been cold. I still need a light jacket outside, hard to stay motivated without the warmth of the sun. But I pick away at it, and they say its going to warm up by the wkend. Sure hope so. Fiona the kitten is old enough to come outside now so I get to watch her discover the world that is our yard. She's running on fence railings and racing up trees, batting last year's maple leaves around the deck, one at a time. With almost no traffic, the deer are strolling down the middle of the road, I saw a family of them yesterday. They just glanced at me and carried on eating ash berries. And I swear there are more than usual eagles and hawks circling above a nearby field.  Could it be that even the rodents, like the deer, are feeling more confident and taking more risks, hence easy hunting for the birds?  

Deeply happy to be sober!  Scrabble scores have plateaued, so I've added another brain exercise to enjoy in the morning. I love trivia games ! My favourite site is Sporcle, the one used by Jeopardy contestants. Millions of choices and topics to choose from, I find it a good memory exercise while satisfying my need to learn and store random bits of stuff. 

Stay safe everyone. bouquet Rae

Brian (BrianB125)

Apr-9

I just spent the second morning weeding the front yard - three garbage bags and maybe one more to go.  I just dug some shizo and basil seeds out of the freezer.  I harvested them last fall.  I'll try planting them and see what happens.  It's still cool here, which is nice, the hot weather will come soon enough.

Good to hear all is well there, it looks like we will be hunkered down for quite a while here.

Brian