CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rae returning    Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 6/17/08 by Rae (raeanne50); 32574 views.
x (1074michael1)

6/22/08

Hey Rae,

You mentioned in one of your posts that you wanted some time to yourself, away from your friends too. I think this a good idea. Many newly sober people are overly concerned with what their friends will think of them in their new sober persona. From my perspective, over 5 years on -- and I'm sure yours too, having been sober for a 7-year stretch -- the concern seems to underestimate the enormity of the change in store for them. Not only will many of the old crowd be left behind, attitudes towards socializing in general, towards entertainment and leisure time, and even towards time itself will change.

Hope you are enjoying your garden today.

Michael 

mkh106

6/22/08

heya rae, you're at double-digits already! now it's more than you can count on two hands!

good going!

margit

Rob (PiperPayer)

6/22/08

Rae,

What has happened before does NOT determine what is happening now. While it is true that you will fail until you succeed, it is also true that you can succeed NOW.

Margit mentioned the 100% confidence idea. I certainly didn't come up with it on my own - kudos to J. Trimpey - but the requirement is simply this:

Arbitrarily set your confidence level to 100%.

No, you don't have a truly valid reason to be 100% confident; none of us does. But you can decide that you are 100% confident anyway, and proceed on that basis. It is paradoxical, but so what? Be 100% confident that this is the moment of success.

Besides which you really do SOUND different this time. I think you have turned a corner, but you don't want to believe it yet for fear of disappointment. (I think I see Tinker Bell up in the corner of the room......)

All the best,
Rob

Rae (raeanne50)

6/22/08

That sounds like a good idea; 100% confidence. I will try to do that. Its going to take some work, but I'll do my best.

I ventured out of my yard and house finally and visited a friend. It did me wonders. We had a great morning visit over coffee.

I wanted to detox alone for the first while but I found I was getting lonely finally.

My poor banished boyfriend is coming over tomorrow. I didn't even want him around for some reason; just really needed to be alone. He will be good company for me now; rarely drinks.

For someone who didn't want to become 'obsessed' about sobriety I sure seem to be reading and posting here a lot! LOL I think I need daily contact with the group at this point.

sober but not somber, Rae

In reply toRe: msg 24
Rae (raeanne50)

6/25/08

Hello everyone,

Just a quick note to let you know I'm still sober and doing allright. .getting out more and beginning to socialize again..doing some of the things I've neglected for so long.

Thanks for you continuing support.

Rae, sober two weeks tomorrow!

Sangreluna

6/25/08

WOOHOO! Awesome work Rae! It's amazing what we can do when we beat that monkey on our backs into shape.

~Chris
290 Days Sober

Rae (raeanne50)

6/25/08

Thanks Chris, I'm pretty pleased myself.

Today I went on an excursion with my dog out to the lake.. wanted to stock my pond with tadpoles and frogs. Didn't see any frogs but managed to net 12 tadpoles.. going to make a terrarium for them until they are frogs as the goldfish would eat them. They'll eat anything!

I love making terrariums.. looking forward to doing that this evening. too hot right now.

Contentedly, Rae

In reply toRe: msg 27
Rae (raeanne51)

6/28/08

hello everyone,

Just wanted to let you know I had to get a new user name when I bought a new computer today

Raeanne 51 is same person as Raeanne50.. but I prefer just Rae !

Still sober and doing fine; two weeks and two days !

Rae

In reply toRe: msg 27
Rae (raeanne51)

6/30/08

Good morning everyone,

Happy to report I'm still sober and feeling better each day. this new life of mine rocks! Thoughts of drinking are coming less often, and its easier to blow them off now.

I'm healthier,happier, busier.

ps..just bought a new computer and had to change my nickname to raeanne51,(instead of50 ) but its still me..

Just Rae

ps..buying a new computer is one example of something I needed to do but would have continued to put off if I was still drinking.

mkh106

7/1/08

hi rae,

glad you're doing well and enjoying yourself.

guess it's pretty hot in the okanagan right now; ( it was 30 here the last couple of days - too much for my comfort). i spent a lot of "mini-holidays" there when my kids were young, as all the in-laws lived in various places in the valley.

..buying a new computer is one example of something I needed to do but would have continued to put off if I was still drinking.

getting things done is soooo rewarding.

happy july 1 to you!

margit