CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Mary's Sober Diary   Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 12/8/08 by marylouise50; 43983 views.
Rex (rcclark99)

12/4/18

Hi Mary,

Thank you for thinking of me. I just finished taking my last round of antibiotics yesterday but still no answer to what has caused these infections to keep coming back. I have more doctor visits scheduled shortly after the holidays but truthfully I don't have much faith in them finding an answer in the near term.

Several people have told me I should go to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota but I think I'll hold ff on that for awhile.

I'm ready for a new year. This one has been difficult in a few different ways but as we all learn our health is the most important thing.

Thanks again. I hope you and your household are doing well.

MaryLouise3

12/10/18

Rex, I hope you and Judy have a peaceful festive season and that the health issues resolve themselves in the New Year.

We'e well here, just overworked and I'm never a fan of the festive season. Lovely hot weather though --

All love

xMary

Rex (rcclark99)

12/10/18

I'm not a big fan of the season either but I'll get through it. I'm glad you're all well and warm. I wish we were warm but that will be several months from now.

Brian (BrianB125)
Staff

12/11/18

I actually love the season.  I like all the cold weather - we could have more snow - and I love all the lights.  In West Virginia, Christmas lights seem almost mandatory - people go all out.  I'll put our lights out on the front porch today.  Unlike many, I wait until December.  In Washington, we have lights on the fig tree in our front yard.  I'm also looking forward to Christmas dinner at our house - at least 12 people.  I'm already planning the menu - I think it will be Italian this year.

Wishing you both the best for the new year.

Brian

Rex (rcclark99)

12/11/18

Judy loves the season too, Brian. Our home has been decorated for several days and we have already had a Christmas party at our home last Saturday night. We hosted about 16 old friends and former neighbors. 

There was drinking although no one overindulged. It really doesn’t bother me to be around drinkers but I do find it boring. I cannot imagine how many hundreds of hours I’ve spent sitting at a bar wasting away much of my life. What’s done is done and thankfully I’m still around to appreciate life in other ways. 

Enjoy the season Brian and have a great time with your Italian dinner.

MaryLouise3

12/13/18

Italian, Brian? Do tell. Panforte, panettone --

I'll be having grilled prawns and baby squid, salads, cheeses, some kind of berry pavlova. Nothing too strenuous or exciting but ideal for a hot summer night.

Brian (BrianB125)
Staff

12/13/18

Leg of lamb with lots of rosemary and garlic, a duck pasta, roast potatoes, brusseles sprouts, stuffed mushrooms and some kind of crostini - this is kind of a conservative crowd and I can't be too nontraditional.  We can get very good baby squid here but it's hard to get anyone else to eat them - though I keep trying.

Your menu sounds wonderful, wish I could drop by.

Brian

MaryLouise3

12/14/18

Well, if I could pop over to Virginia, I'd head straight for the duck pasta and pile my plate with lamb! Sounds delicious, Brian. I do my brussels sprouts with a little homecured bacon and crispy onions.

Have you got any further with your cookbook?

xMary

Brian (BrianB125)
Staff

12/14/18

Yes, brussels sprouts and bacon were just made for each other, though maybe I'll use pancetta to keep in the theme.

I work on the cookbook in fits and starts, much like I do most things.  My latest efforts have been on two sculptures.  One a big (for me) outdoor mobile of concentric circles which has the unfortunate habit of falling apart (making it mobile and strong are contradictory efforts) and blowing over.  So far, it's held together for two weeks, so I'm hopeful I may have figured it out.  The other is an indoor mobile based on one I saw in a Frank Lloyd house in Pennsylvania.  It wasn't anything he did but something the owners bought.  I call it "flappers" - you will see why when I put a picture on Facebook.  I'm going to start making it again as soon as the holidays are over,  this was kind of a prototype to work out the details.  Again, keeping it strong and mobile don't always go together.

Brian

steverino63

12/30/18

Whole wheat rotini with spinach, broccoli, kale, artichokes, mushrooms, a bit of Italian sausage and alfredo sauce here.