CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Brian's Relapse Prevention Journal   Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 3/9/09 by Brian (BrianB125); 37779 views.
Brian (BrianB125)

May-12

Mary - I was looking at the pictures you posted on Facebook.  The one with the barn and the road struck me, looks very much like West Virginia - except, the barn would not be painted, it would have been a post and wire fence, and the road would be much narrower - but the overall calm look is very similar - makes you just want to stroll down the road.

Here it is roses time - I'll post some pictures - they are all out in force.  Unfortunately, the rose garden at the Botanical Garden is closed so I can't get in to see them - but the neighborhood is just full of roses.  It's been a fairly cool spring  - we actually had a frost warning last week - though it didn't freeze here - but this seems to be very good for the flowers and trees - everything is lasting much longer than usual.

All hunkered down here waiting with trepidation to see what happens as the country reopens.

Love to see some more pictures of your countryside - I have very little idea of what it looks like.

Brian

MaryLouise3

May-14

Ah, thanks, Brian. I am wary of posting too much about my village because of the odd troll or intrusive  poster -- I have a large list of contacts because of media -- but I will put up some pics of the Overberg and more taken on daily walks. It is a wild and lovely area, old country towns and farms, many homes dating back to the 19th or even 18th century.

I liked your snaps of roses, so bright and full!

Take care

xMary

Brian (BrianB125)

May-14

This is a picture of our front yard in West Virginia I took when I neighbor's cows got out and into our yard - the grass is greener.  The shed on the right if typical of what you would see all over West Virginia.  Wood is very plentiful and there are small mills in almost every valley.  The wood isn't painted because it is all hardwoods and they will last a hundred years or more without paint.  There is actually a market for old, unpainted barn wood.  Barns look just like this shed, except their are bigger.  The battens - the narrow strips of wood covering the gaps in the boards - are there to keep the weather out.  You use them when you want to use the shed for storage and want to keep things dry.  Barns don't usually have them, you want air to circulate inside to dry hay or what ever else may be in them.

The picture didn't come through because it's too big, I'll put it on Instagram.

MaryLouise3

May-15

Brian, I might have the same problem, will also put up some landscape shots on Instagram, which feels less public -- I can't post shots of private homes (only cameos) but I am very interested in barns and old farmhouses in my area.

xMary