CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rex's 2nd Time Around Volume 2   Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 8/31/12 by Rex (rcclark99); 27915 views.
Rex (rcclark99)
Staff

9/9/12

Bob, I am so happy to hear you're doing well and looking at finishing up a sober year. That is wonderful.

Life is just so much easier and better without it. Why F$%k it all up for a drink?

And that is precisely why I won't f*ck it up. I have been sober long enough to know that cravings are no more than thoughts and they will pass. However, damn they can be annoying.

I struggled with them for three days but things seem to be easing up now so onward we go.

I'll be waiting to hear that one sober year announcement. I'm very proud of you. I know it has not always been easy.

Rex (rcclark99)
Staff

9/9/12

I totally identify with wanting to drink AFTER getting through some tough period.

I understand why this could happen but just didn't think about it I guess until they hit me. I don't remember having cravings last for most of three days before. They usually go away after a few minutes or a couple of hours. Oh well, things seem more stable today so we will move on forward step by step.

I am taking care of myself Nancy and am physically feeling better than at any time since June 1. It's a process but I'm getting there.

Thank you for your post. Love to you too.

falltrees

9/10/12

Hi Firenailer

It's good to read your post.  I hadn't noticed that you were in the Forum recently,  and kind of wondered how you were doing.  It sounds like you are doing fine.

Good advice to Rex also.

Nancy
chazdee

9/19/12

Hi Rex,
Sorry to hear about your problems. I am glad you're feeling better. I come from a family so full disease it's ridiculous and I come from one of the most polluted areas in the world, Southeast Texas (petrochemical). I am now 57 years old and every time I have a pain that lingers too long I think, "this is it, I'm going to go to the doctor and it's going to be cancer". But so far, so good. Take care of yourself.
Charles
In reply toRe: msg 32
Rex (rcclark99)
Staff

9/23/12

Well, tomorrow I need to go to Indianapolis for my one month post-op checkup with my cancer surgeon. And then on Friday it's back to the hospital for a colonoscopy. I haven't had one in three years so it is time. I have had polyps removed everytime I take one so expect this time to be more of the same.

Judy just left to go home after spending the weekend with me. We had a really nice time and spent much of today watching her grandson's Pop Warner football games. One of them is 7 and one is 8. The helmets are almost as big as they are but it was fun to watch.

It was a nice early fall day here with quite a bit of sunshine and a little wind but overall a really nice day for football.

My daughter came up from Tulsa for a few days. Judy and I went out to dinner with her and her boyfriend on Friday evening. Matt, her boyfriend surprised her with a weekend trip to San Francisco, so they left early Saturday morning for a weekend on the west coast. This is not the daughter with the drinking problem but my oldest, who seemingly has very few problems.

Life has always been easy for her, at least from the outside but maybe it's just because she handles everything so well.

The cravings of a couple of weeks ago have slunken back in to the darkness hopefully to remain there for awhile.

mkh106
Staff

9/23/12

Rex,

bet you're sick of hospitals and probings and testings and.....i wish you well for the check-up.

it's always interesting to me how kids can be so different...i see it in my own two daughters frequently. as if they grew up with entirely different parents in entirely different circumstances...

your weekend sounds lovely. i saw both my kids today on my bike-ride, 20 km, perfect temperature and sunny fall-day here too. i'm talking bicycle, of course, when i say bike:)

Margit

Rex (rcclark99)
Staff

9/23/12

Yes Margit, I am sick of hospitals and of being poked and prodded but hopefully I'm headed toward daylight as I move forward.

Yes, I have three children and they are all very different. The two youngest seem to struggle through life with addictions and making one poor decision after another while the oldest daughter just seems to soar through life with the greatest of ease.

Rex (rcclark99)
Staff

9/26/12

I had my checkup on Monday. They drew blood and had me fill out a questionaire about my health over the month since I've had surgery. The surgeon looked at my incisions (5) and said they had all healed nicely with no hernias.

He showed me the lab report on the tumor they removed and said he felt that there was only about a 5% chance of me having to deal with kidney cancer again in my lifetime.

I go back in three months for a ct scan of my kidneys and another checkup. After that I'm guessing it will increase to 6 months.

Now I just need to get ready for my colonoscopy on Friday which is always a good time but I'm still on the right side of the grass and I'm still sober.

Susan (swl755)

9/27/12

Wonderful, wonderful news, Rex! And battle scars to show your grandchildren!

Hope the colonoscopy goes well and it's the last medical thing you have to do for awhile.

Susan