CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rex's 2nd Time Around Volume 2   Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 8/31/12 by Rex (rcclark99); 30497 views.
Brian (BrianB125)

10/11/12

Rex,

Well, you can talk about other things - what's going on in your life, motorcycle trips, your motorcycle business - just anything that comes up.  Nice to hear from you from time to time.

Brian
marylouise50

10/12/12

Rex I have  days or weeks like that too -- I feel I have said whatever I have to say about staying sober or I feel something is changing but can't be put into words. Then I wonder about some aspect or  respond to someone and off we go again. It will always be one of the themes or problems of my life in one way or another, but  not always urgent. I do make an effort to  stay connected to ideas and  communities of sober friends because I never know when I might  find myself struggling and tempted to drink again, but that is different from being interested in the topic of  sobriety.

All the same, we are here and sober, can talk about anything really (as Susan says) because we owe it all to that fact that we are not drinking and ill and  frightened by drinking, trapped, all that  old remembered stuff.

I have this problem with blogging too, that sometimes the blog is about anything except alcoholism or recovery, but  I just  write about whatever comes to mind. The alternative would be to not write at all. And when I read other bloggers talking about  canning apples or taking pics of the dog, I know they're in a similar place. We're glad to be sober but nothing to say beyond that.

So just let us know  how things are going -- living alone, the new relationship, the  motorbikes, the  son and daughter --
Elsie (Elsiek)

10/12/12

Hi Rex

I have read the last few posts here with interest.  what struck me is that we have all been brought together due to our desire to stop doing this one thing....as a newbie I absolutely need to engage with ideas about sobriety to keep me from wobbling at this precarious stage, but I guess it is natural that at some point we just have to get on with life and stop going on about sobriety.

I have already had to face the fact that I may have ongoing problems with depression even if I am not drinking- after all, I had problems with it before I started drinking regularly or heavily, and the question of whether I am capable of living a contented life is one that concerns me as well.  However, I gave up smoking a few years ago, and now I can honestly say that it never occurs to me to smoke, it simply is not on my menu of things to do, as it were. And I don't spend my entire life talking to ex-smokers. And I actually hope that eventually I feel that way about the booze.  So you feeling you have run out of things to say about sobriety is actually a massive achievement viewed from my angle- in the sense that I am currently swapping my fixation with wine for one with sobriety.  But it makes absolute sense that  your interest would eventually drift away from what is essentially a bit of a non-subject...NOT drinking.

I know you have been very unwell (around the time that I joined the forum) and I hope your health continues to improve.  Have a good weekend.

Elsie x

• Edited 10/12/2012 4:38 am by Elsie (Elsiek)
mkh106
Staff

10/12/12

Rex,

about dry wells and having nothing left to say about sobriety:

when i think back to when i was new here, what i most needed was for people to engage with me at the places i was at. what i most benefitted from was the diversity, in experiences, views, input, lengths of sobriety. a whole bunch of people willing to spend time with me about stuff that was of immense importance to ME.

a whole bunch of people, some reassuring me, some provocative and challenging me, some warning me or disagreeing....i needed them all.

not saying that's what every new or newish person here needs, just to say what a loss it would be if the variety of voices here were to keep shrinking because we  "have run out of things about sobriety to talk about."

where would i be if i hadn't had people just like you to talk to when i first got here?

Margit

Rex (rcclark99)
Staff

10/12/12

Brian, Mary Louise, Elsie and margit,

I guess sometimes I just feel like I have nothing to say that would help anyone. Maybe I'm wrong and just being here and posting with a signifcant amount of sober time (compared to many) is enough to help some people. I do feel I am an example of what can be achieved through tools learned here and camaraderie from this forum and a little dedication on my own part.

So onward we go. I'll try not to mention this again. It does seem to be a reocurring theme with me as I struggle to find interesting things to type here. Thank you all for your input.

In reply toRe: msg 53
Rex (rcclark99)
Staff

10/14/12

It's Sunday morning here and it looks like the second grey, rainy, windy dreary day here in succession.

As has become more or less the norm, Judy is spending the weekend with me. She is still enjoying much needed sleep this morning. I know she doesn't get enough during the week due to a stressful job, a 2 hour job commute five days a week and her daughter, son-in-law and and two year old grandson who lives with her. She is trying to change the latter situation but it does seem difficult as I think they enjoy living in a large home with few obligations and it is difficult for a mother to throw her only daughter out in the street.

I am appreciating the "me" time this morning which gives me a chance to put a few things down here.

I think I am essentially happy these days. I am trying to freshen and improve relationships with my biological family (mother and siblings) as they have been greatly ignored for many years.

During our marriage K really wanted a close relationship with her family, so mostly family time was associated with them. Drinking took up several evenings a week and since my family, for the most part is not nearby geographically, they were largely ignored. Now that I have broken up my marriage to a woman they all adored (despite our limited contact with them) I'm trying to make amends for several years of neglect. Part of it has not been easy. My brother and I had an angry exchange of words earlier this week.

It seems that a large part of my sober time has been taken up with trying to change or improve bad decisions I made while drinking.

I don't know where my relationship with Judy is going for the long-term. We are both strong-minded, opinionated people who are  used to being the boss in our workplace, but somehow we seem to communicate very well with each other. This has been the weak point in previous relationships..........she has a knack for sensing when something is not right with me and will not accept an answer of "nothing" when she asks me what is wrong.

I believe we are deeply and mutually in love, which might sound like kind of of a funny way to describe a new relationship between 60 year olds. I don't know how else to put it. Unlike a pair of 20 somethings though, we of course have each acquired a lot of baggage we carry along with us. This is the part that makes everything uncertain.

Firenailer

10/14/12

Hey Rex,

Still following the posts here but find I really don't have much to add myself either. It all just begins to move along more naturally as time goes on for me.

I'm glad to hear you sounding happy and healthy again! Glad life is good my friend.

The Family thing is tough, I think it's like that for everyone. It's just me and an older Brother left, and we aren't very close. Part of that is geographical, but a lot of it is that we're just two very different people. He's a good man but we just don't see eye to eye on too many things, so I accept that, and him for the man he is, keep it polite and try to have good visits when I do see him.

Now that my Sister is gone I'm thinking that will probably not be very often. It's just the way life goes. You've heard the expression - " you can pick your friends, but you just get Family". So we keep it light when we talk on the phone, talk about the weather (he's in Fla), Jets and Yankees, ( Can't believe Jeter broke his ankle!), his wife and kids, my adventures, and promise to talk again soon.

Nothings forever bud, just enjoy what you have with your GF for as long as it makes you both happy, and don't worry about the rest. We both know the sun's going to come up tomorrow no matter what we do here today, just be the best we can, be happy with what we have, and accept today for what it is. That's pretty much my philosophy these days and it's serving me well. I'm closing in on my first year and I'm feeling good about it all. Sobriety has become pretty natural for me, I still check on a couple of sites every now and then, read what people are saying about their experiences, but it's not something I dwell on anymore.

OK, back to my Jet game,

Take it easy Rex and stay well!

Susan (swl755)

10/14/12

Good to hear about your life these days, Rex.

Age doesn't necessarily confer wisdom, but that baggage you mention must include a lot of experience in relationships and some knowledge about how not to repeat the mistakes of the past. At least you won't have the illusion most of us did at 20 that if it's real love it shouldn't require hard work. :)

I believe we are deeply and mutually in love, which might sound like kind of of a funny way to describe a new relationship between 60 year olds.

No, not funny. Really nice. I'm happy for you.

Susan

Susan (swl755)

10/14/12

Hey Bob,

Good to hear your voice and that sobriety's agreeing with you.

Susan
marylouise50

10/15/12

Moving through transition -- and it sounds challenging but good. New connections and reconnections, not easy. It sounds as if Judy's living situation is difficult but the family connection is very important to her. Changes take time -- I agree with you that as we get older we bring more baggage into new relationships  even if we also bring more realistic expectations and  better coping skills. As Susan said.

And I agree with you about the repairwork on  what happened in the drinking years. In my case i often 'went along' with unsatisfactory  ways of relating (not really present, the diminished energies and apathy arising from  heavy drinking much of the week)  and  now  find I have to  push hard to  change that, to not drift along or humour others, take the easier path. Which means conflict.