CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rex's 2nd Time Around Volume 2   Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 8/31/12 by Rex (rcclark99); 30985 views.
JMK100

11/5/12

Hi Bob, I am doing good -- sober. I have been checking in here daily, just not posting much. Reading here and at a couple other spots is part of my routine right now. It helps. I will start writing more later, but I am in a good sober reading groove for the moment. I am taking this medicine called campral and it seems to help too. No urges or prolonged drinking thoughts. Great to hear you are doing well! Jim
Rex (rcclark99)
Staff

11/5/12

Always great to hear from you my friend. Sorry to hear about the damage your loved ones are having to cope with but as long as no one was hurt they can build a new life.

Yes, J and my relationship seems to get deeper and more precious almost everyday. Your right, she is a good thing to have in my life. 

A big, hardy congratulations on one year of sobriety but more than that it's wonderful to hear that you like the person you have again become.......and you're right, that's pretty cool. I'm so proud of you and hope sometime this next summer to maybe meet somewhere on two wheels.

Don't be a stranger here and call me whenever you feel like it.

Rex (rcclark99)
Staff

11/5/12

Hey Jim,

Glad to know you're still hanging around and checking the forum daily. Good to hear that the campral is working for you. I don't know a thing about it but have always believed that there are several ways to accomplish almost anything. That of course includes living a sober life.

As I told Bob, don't be a stranger, read as much as you like and post when you're ready.

mkh106
Staff

11/5/12

hey Firenailer, congratulations on your upcoming one-year sobriety and being back on track as yourself.

and good to see you drop in once in a while.

JMK100

11/6/12

Thanks, Rex. This time around I may be posting more as time goes on. Maybe less in the beginning, more later. That would be a change for me. With this medicine, I feel like I did when I had years of sobriety. Each day I cross my fingers that it will keep working. I am still in a state of disbelief that all I needed was to take some pills. We'll see. Jim
Firenailer

11/7/12

Hey Jim;

Good to hear that your back at it Brudda! I don't know anything about Campral, but if it makes things easier I'm all for it.

Keep trying my friend, sobriety is such a blessing and every day gets better. Booze is just an empty promise that won't lead any of us, anywhere good. Nothing but empty lies in the bottom of that bottle.

Rex - nothing would make me happier than to get together for a ride! And I will make that call. Time to start looking at maps for a spring trip. Blue Ridge Pkwy? Gettysburg and Antietam? You pick it and I'll meet you there.

Stay well everyone, just believe and don't drink today!

MaryLouise2

11/8/12

Congrats Bob -- and good to see you again Jim.
JMK100

11/9/12

Thanks. I love your posts. Jim
MaryLouise2

11/11/12

That really made my day! Thanks Jim
In reply toRe: msg 73
Rex (rcclark99)
Staff

11/13/12

In a few hours I will conclude my third sober year here on the forum and begin my fourth.

The last time I had a taste of an alcoholic beverage was November 14, 2009. I remember waking up on the 15th and for some unknown reason just decided there had to be a better way....... A better way to live my life than to have it defined by the nature and quantities of alcoholic beverages I poured down my throat.

As some of you know, a lot has happened to me in the past three years. I suppose a lot happens in any three year period of anyone's life.

Early in my new-found sobriety I survived a bout with e-coli bacteria which was being pumped through my bloodstream by a malfunction in my own digestive tract. Unknown to me at the time the ICU people gave me a 50/50 chance to make it through the night as I was packed in ice to lower a 105 degree F fever. But I did and was out of the hospital in a few days.

I have lived through an almost-successful suicide attempt by my youngest daughter. She has survived and today, while still struggling with alcohol from time to time, seems to be in a much better place and seems as happy as I ever remember her. My son also still struggles with alcohol at times despite being an insulin dependant diabetic and suffering a sever head injury in a bar mugging a few months ago.

I have enjoyed several long motorcycle trips in the last three years, including my 17-18 day, 6500 mile trip during August of 2011. I visited several folks on this forum and a few from the Lifering chatroom. Some are still here, some are not.....some are still sober and some are not but I will never forget each and everyone of you/them.

Some have had a profound effect on my life and continue to as I go forward into year four.

In the past several years I believe I have ridden my motorcycle in/through 39 of our 48 continental states.

I also had a Lifering friend from Australia come to the US, purchase a motorcycle in Seattle and ride it across the US alone and she's a girl! Melly will always have my utmost respect.

On June 1 of this year I began a one-day trip from my home outside Chciago to a friends house in Wichita, Kansas. It ended prematurely in the intensive care unit of the St. Louis University Medical Center. I crashed heavily on Interstate 70 in a construction zone and was air-lifted from the scene in an unconcious state.

During the the CT Scans taken to assess my injuries, it was discovered I also had a cancerous tumor on my left kidney. I have been recovering for the last five months from those injuries and from the cancer surgery.

My marriage of 20 years came to an end earlier this year and I now live alone. I had two extra-marital affairs in the last two years and am not proud of that but obviously was searching for something. I have searched for a contented sobriety over the last 25 years and think I might finally be getting there.

Today I am sober, contented for the present, in love with a wondeful woman I met a few months ago and have absolutely no clue what the next three years might bring. I guess I'll just have to stick around and find out.