CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rex's 2nd Time Around Volume 2   Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 8/31/12 by Rex (rcclark99); 26642 views.
In reply toRe: msg 799
Rex (rcclark99)

Jun-29

Hi All,

I am at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and have been since last Wednesday. Judy and I will be here in Rochester until at least through next Wednesday, July 3. We are not in the hospital but spend a good part of each day in the hospital complex. It is indeed an unbelievable facility with some of the best doctors in the world. We stay in a local hotel which provides free shuttle buses making round trips all day long on a hourly basis.

After one day here we had narrowed the source of my recurring sepsis to three possible sources. By Friday afternoon, we have declared a winner. The problem seems to be a narrowing in some of the passageways in my liver which drains bile into my ducts which in turn supplies bile to my duodenum for digestion. When this bile gets backed and clogged in these narrowed passageways it allow bacteria to grow and eventually be released into my bloodstream which of courses causes my bouts with bacteremia.

I will be having tests over the next three days (mon-tues-wed) to determine how we fix it now. I also have to come back here to Minnesota for another procedure on July 11 at which time we will determine a treatment plan to go forward with. Worst case scenario is to remove part of my liver in open surgery here at Mayo, which is about 450 miles from our home but we do what we need to do. There are some less drastic measures which might be effective but we just won't know until after the ERCP test o July 11.

I am of course still sober, soon going on 10 years and appreciate the support and aid that my life partner Judy has provided over these stressful last 18 months or so. She's a trooper and I don't know how I would have managed without her.

I don't post often but think of you all often and especially who were here when I first came here and are still here. You are so special to me.

MaryLouise3

Jul-1

Hi Rex, so good to hear from you even though we're also FB friends and I'm following your progress there. I'll be delighted to hear this mysterious illness and source of infection has been traced and can be treated.

Out here we're having a wet winter which is good news but  we're both fluey and rather bedraggled from all the rain! Hopefully the dams and rivers have filled up enough to ensure we don't have water rationing through next summer.

Sending all love to Judy and  you're lucky to have her there. With luck, you'll be planning holidays in Florida again soon!

xxMary

Brian (BrianB125)
Staff

Jul-1

Hi  Tex, sounds like progress and something that can be treated.  Best of luck.

I'm in Algonquin Park in Canada and having a great time with two of my cousins.

Brian