CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Going Forward (with clarity)   Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 2/16/14 by Elsie (Elsiek); 37639 views.
Elsie (Elsiek)

2/16/14

Day 14, and I have celebrated by skiing for a few hours without a hangover, and for the first time with contact lenses. It took me about half an hour to get the fiddly things in, but what a difference. I usually only wear glasses for driving so haven't had contacts before, but this is easily the most dangerous thing I do, and trying to fit  specs under goggles is hopeless. I still struggled a bit with the skiing- it is snowing, the light is very flat, and I haven't skied for two years, but it felt great. Husband and son have stayed out to do some harder runs- me and daughter are taking it easy. The apartment is great, proper ski-in ski-out, and it is comfortable and spacious.

Got a whiff of vin chaud when we had lunch, but I didn't want any. I am feeling pretty strong about it right now, but there will doubtless be chinks in my armour and I need to be alert to them. 

Anyway, new thread, as it actually feels like I have a proper start behind me.

E x

Rex (rcclark99)

2/16/14

This is really great to hear, Elsie.

as it actually feels like I have a proper start behind me.

It sounds in your last few posts as if something has changed a little and I'm glad you feel it too. I'm so happy you have hung in here and continued the journey.

Brian (BrianB125)
Staff

2/16/14

Elsie,

That sounds great, sounds like you've turned a corner.  I haven't downhill skied in years, and then I didn't wear glasses.  Now I cross country ski and doing it with bifocals can be a challenge - so much so that I usually just take them off - I can see well enough without them.  Keep having fun.

Brian

MaryLouise2

2/17/14

I wore contact lenses for years and once you are used to them they make a big difference. Enjoy sober skiing!

annie1790

2/17/14

Hi Elsie

Good for you, I'm glad to hear  how things are going.  Try to remember,  you don't want to go back to Day 1 again.  That horrible first week isn't something you want to do again.

You must feel so much better physically.  Great going.

Annie

liferingBob

2/17/14

H Elsie

Great on the skiing even if its just the bunny runs. I went 4 times last year but have not been out yet this year, we finally just got some decent snow. Holiday weekend here and the slopes are all jammed. Curious how much it costs for a day pass there, I can figure out the exchange on your funny money.

Nice work on the 14, but you always sound like you are waiting for the other shoe to drop??? Enjoy each day sober, just think about going to bed sober tonight, don't battle your success, you just don't drink anymore one day at a time.

Take Care

Bob O.

In reply toRe: msg 6
Elsie (Elsiek)

2/18/14

Thanks for your messages. I had been hoping that sobriety would transform my skiing completely- this of course puts too much pressure on sobriety! I remain too cautious,don't much like going really fast, so consequently put in far too many turns and get tired.  Just been for a lesson- same old story, I understand the techniques and have the theoretical ability to ski...but...I lack confidence and struggle to relax and enjoy because it scares me. Ah well, it served to remind me just how early you need to transfer your weight into a turn. Hopefully with that simple awareness I'll ski better tomorrow. 

Not particularly struggling to not drink, but I have a lot of emotions floating around, and I think I'm pretty tired with this emotional transition so mustn't be too hard on myself in my efforts to ski gracefully. The kit alone, boots, skis, poles, layers of clothes, I find very heavy and cumbersome and get me quite grumpy when I'm not actually skiing. And when I do ski, think Bridget Jones in Edge of Reason. I'm not the most intrepid person in the world!

ah well, back now, so time to relax. I'm in my pyjamas at 4.30pm, what's not to like?

hope you are all having a good week, thanks for the words if encouragement.

E x

mkh106

2/18/14

sounds like the sobriety-thing, Elsie.

knowing theoretically that you can, knowing some techniques, but scared to really "do" it.

of course you ARE doing it, and of course it's clunky and cumbersome and awkward and easy to get grumpy...being graceful takes a long long time, and much practice, whether it's skiing or living soberly or anything else much.

pj's at 4:30 is perfect!

Brian (BrianB125)
Staff

2/18/14

Skiing is something like learning to stop drinking - its not continuous, it comes in lumps.  You go for periods of time when you never seem to get any better, and then all of a sudden you are doing things you couldn't do before.  Main thing I think is just to remember its fun - as you ski better, it becomes more fun, but its still always fun.

I learned to ski in the sixties when we still used leather boots, tied as tight as you could with the laces wrapped several times around the top.  One of the greatest pleasures then was taking your boots off at the end of the day and waiting for the feeling to come back in your feet.

Brian

annie1790

2/18/14

Hi Brian

I understand what you meant,  sometimes it seems like things aren't changing too much,  then all of a sudden "we are doing things we couldn't do before".  I find being sober,  I am much more even tempered and able to understand people,  where I used to be so jumpy before (when hungover and/or drinking).

Annie