CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Going Forward (with clarity)   Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 2/16/14 by Elsie (Elsiek); 46553 views.
MaryLouise3

May-25

Hi Brian

We've moved to a slightly less austere level, still no nicotine sales and restricted alcohol sales, no restaurants or fast food places open, no gyms, no funerals, no travel. Limited work attendance and shopping for basics, essential travel and schools reopening. This last is of huge concern because classes are large, from 65 to 120 students in a class.

Our case rates are increasing but slowly, confirmed infections at 22 500 and deaths at 329, a population of 58-million. I'm hoping we don't get a surge and that hospitals can cope with those needing intensive care. The situation in the UK and USA appalls me. I was watching crowds mingling and celebrating for Memorial Day. No masks, no distancing, old and young all together.

You know, a couple of years ago I read Laura Spinney's Pale Rider, a history of the Spanish Flu and the shocking speed with which it crossed the globe in the aftermath of WWI. One reason so little attention was paid to this highly contagious illness was that people were in shock and traumatised by the war, the hardships around rationing and joblessness. In South Africa, the pandemic arrived by troopships (the steamships with soldiers returning home) and reached the Kimberley diamond fields by steam train within days. 'Black October' of 1918 and the three waves of epidemic killed 300 000 people in South Africa, mostly the poor. Travel by steam was almost as fast as travel by airplanes in 2020 and the reach of the virus was huge.

Your family history is fascinating -- many people were hardly aware they had lived through a pandemic until years later although graveyards right across South Africa show how many young people died. The historian Howard Phillips in South Africa took the figures of a 1911 census and projected those figures and names forward to those who should have been alive in 1921 -- he was shocked to find almost half a million gone. For most South Africans, though, the memory of war was far more pressing and by war they meant the Anglo-Boer war rather than WWI.

Take care, Brian, and  keep safe.

xMary

LolaBug

May-25

Good morning, all! I've been lurking, but haven't posted in quite some time. Am thinking about starting a recovery journal of my own on here.

Brian, was the book you read called "Influenza"? Many years ago I read a book about the 1918/1919 pandemic and I think that was the title. I'd love to reread it now.

Brian (BrianB125)

May-25

Lola,

Starting a Journal is a great idea.

The book I read was "Flu" by Gina Kolata.  There are quite a few books out there on the flu, so there are lots to choose from.

Brian

LolaBug

May-26

Thanks; I'm going to look that up. Going to check when my town library will be open again. 

Elsie (Elsiek)

Jun-2

Feeling pretty low. 

a) We will never have peace on earth.

b) My dog keeps barking at night and I'm sleep deprived.

Of course I also have a lot to be grateful for but when I lie awake at night I give myself such a hard time. 

Just upset my daughter who now probably thinks I'm a racist because I failed to understand how everyone cutting online college classes for Blackout Tuesday would make a difference. It is an important show of solidarity, of course, and good that young people are motivated to make a stand. I just hadn't quite twigged what was happening. I have nothing to cut today. It doesn't mean I don't care. 

E x

MaryLouise3

Jun-2

Hi E, it's good your daughter feels so passionate about showing solidarity right now -- the pragmatic or effective value of many gestures and actions  is another issue altogether, isn't it? And I suspect many more [scary, horrible etc] things need to happen before there is any meaningful change.

I think of 3am as My Hour of Self-Loathing Before Dawn, if that is of any comfort.

xxMary

Elsie (Elsiek)

Jun-2

Thanks Mary

Been giving myself a hard time all day today as well. Sometimes I feel as if I am completely talentless- doing weddings usually gives me a boost as it is one thing I can do really well. 

The lockdown is definitely getting to me now.

Hope you are doing ok 

xxx