CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

My 4th Day Booze Free   Newly Sober/Clean

Started Jul-13 by RayB (L3tM3in); 505 views.
RayB (L3tM3in)

Jul-13

First time posting so just dipping my toe in the water. 

I'm in the UK and wanted to say Hi. 

Not the first time I've tried sobriety but I so want it to be the last. 

Brian (BrianB125)
Staff

Jul-14

Welcome to the group L3.

"Not the first time I've tried sobriety but I so want it to be the last. "  I know that feeling well.  There are some people who just decided to stop and do.  There are others who take a number of tries.  All I can say is that what worked for me was to just keep on trying - eventually it worked.  What else are you doing besides posting here?  The more you can do the more it helps.

You might want to pick an easier nickname  - 

Keep posting and letting us know how you are doing.

Brian

RayB (L3tM3in)

Jul-14

Thanks for the reply Brian. 

I have an epal as suggested and am looking to see if I can find some local non-secular face to face meetings. 

Weekends have been my drinking times as I changed from daily to binge drinking after my last sober time of 6 years. Just shows that time off doesn't matter (not to me anyway). 

I don't drink when I have work the next day usually so feel safer today (Sunday) although it's only 5 days since my last binge which was as bad as it has ever been. 

I'm in my early 60's now so feel the time has come to make the decision. I hope I feel this way tomorrow too, I have a feeling I may. 

Brian (BrianB125)
Staff

Jul-14

I Ray,

I'm in my early 70s now.  My drinking problem started in my fifties and I finally quit, after many tries, in my sixties.  Perseverance is the key.  Finding an inperson group was a big help.  I went to AA for a while.  My group wasn't very doctrinaire, and I just ignored the religious side - but being with people who were going through what I was going through was a big help.

Brian

MaryLouise3

Jul-18

Hi and welcome, Ray. The forum is very quiet at the moment but I usually pop in a couple of times a week.

How is this week going? 

MaryLouise

RayB (L3tM3in)

Jul-18

Hi Mary Louise, 

It's actually not been too bad. I feel like I've made a decision that booze will kill me if I carry on and I want to keep living! 

The first few days were horrible and I felt so ill. Physically that has passed but mentally not so clever. I've been doing lots of reading and going back to work helped. 

My wife is also very supportive albeit a bit sceptical at the moment that this will last- understandably - she goes to Al-Anon and it works for her.

Its my 8th day without a drink today. Looking forward to more. 

Ray

Brian (BrianB125)

Jul-18

Eight days is great Ray.  You are in the hardest time, it will get better.

Brian

MaryLouise3

Jul-22

Hi Ray

In time, if you can build a long stretch of unbroken sobriety your wife will feel more trusting. Most of us have been there.

Hope this week goes well for you.

MaryLouise

RayB (L3tM3in)

Jul-26

I'm now 16 days sober but this has been a hard week. 

My Father in Law died on Monday and was buried on Wednesday (he is Jewish and they like to bury their dead quickly) so my wife has needed lots of support. I have been able to be there for her because I am not drinking.

I have to say I am proud of myself because, although booze obviously came to mind I just played the video in my head of how bad I felt just 2 short weeks ago and that took any urges away immediately. 

This weekend I have my first function to attend where booze will be available but I'm confident I can get through it sober. 

It's good to be able to share these little battles with people who understand.