CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Surfette returning   General Sharing

Started Dec-3 by daisy20111; 2643 views.
daisy20111

Dec-19

Hiya Mary Louise, 

Things are steady with the man now and I'm super happy about that.

But I still have only two sober days.

It's when he lets me know he can't make it over then I drink, like last night

I want to stay sober today for myself, like no matter what he does or doesn't do..that would be my next step.

Sorry to hear about your friend. That's hard. I lost a friend recently for a similar reason...he's just not stabilizing and it's sad to see it.

Let's both hang in there and be sober today

Hugs

MaryLouise3

Dec-22

Hi Brian and festive greetings!

Every now and again I get a pang of nostalgia for my first year or so sober back in 2007, when I embarked on a search for non-alcoholic drinks for summer. I made lime and soda with crushed mint, a pomegranate and blood-orange-juice frappe, homemade ginger beer and fresh lemonades with simple sugar syrup. It was a way of countering the deprivation I felt at not being able to drink. And I discovered that I enjoyed citrussy less-sweet cool drinks. For a long time I liked organic cloudy apple juice and cooked with that too.

Later on, I stopped bothering because I didn't need a drink in my hand in social situations and could have iced water with meals, never liked the idea of non-alcoholic beers or mocktails, just drank if I was thirsty, or had a small glass of freshly squeezed juice. Teas and coffee in the morning. Like you, I prefer teas and have a local 'killer chai' I enjoy, as well as various green teas, grassy yerba mate with an accent, oolong teas, English Breakfast and Earl Grey. I have strong coffee in the morning (Kenyan or Ethiopian) but only one mug.

Yes, plenty of choice out there, but  after a while it is just about a taste novelty or to quench thirst.

How is the festive menu coming along?

xMary

MaryLouise3

Dec-22

Hi Daisy

Just keep on  making the daily effort and days will add up as you persist. If the man can't come over, could you invite a friend or get to a meeting or even sit in an online chatroom so as not to console yourself with alcohol?

Coming to appreciate sobriety as my gift to myself and enjoying the feeling of living sober was a big part of how and why I stayed sober -- it will come with longer periods of sobriety, and then the role played by others will matter less and less.

Hope the weekend is going well and  I'm loving a peaceful sober festive season!

xMary

Brian (BrianB125)

Dec-22

Yes, I pretty much just stick to sparkling water or ginger ale- and a Mexican coke when I can get it.  And  coffee, lots of coffee.  And I've been making chai tea at night - I had some a while ago at an Indian restaurant and it was really good.  I'm trying different blends and making my own.

A relatively easy Christmas this year, we're going to Ellen's cousin's and I just have to make so appetizers.   It's going to be in the 50's - so no white Christmas.

Wishing you the best,

Brian

MaryLouise3

Dec-23

And the best to you and Ellen, Brian. We're also having a quiet time here, cold roast chicken and salads on Christmas Eve, a smoked salmon roulade for friends who celebrate Hannukah, some teriyaki grilled prawns on Christmas Day.

What I enjoy is making up large platters of antipasti: olives, capers, cheeses, dips, hummous, pickles, with homemade crisps or Melba toast. Small cupfuls of iced gazpacho, toasted cashews and pecans with paprika. I start straining my labneh later today and it should be  ready on Wednesday. I might also make my salted caramel ice cream, a big success last year.

To my great delight, all my potted herbs are doing really well, so we'll have fresh mint for mint sauce, rocket and basil for salads, onion and garlic chives in abundance.

Feeling about as festive in an unChristmassy way as I ever get!

xMary

daisy20111

Jan-2

Mary Loise

I just saw this last mesaage now. Its morning here and I go back to work today.

I still have not accomplished another sober day so im now ready to up my efforts.

I really want it for myself now.

Please keep replying I'm not giving up.

Thanks

daisy20111

Jan-2

I have a couple stressors to deal with too.

Money stuff. Ill have to borrow from my mom to cover bills. She wont be happy but hsell help me. 

So i have that on my plate today..ugh

daisy20111

Jan-2

Okay so i forgot my lunch and had to turn around and go back home

While i was there i threw out the rest of the unopened beer..

I really want this

Brian (BrianB125)

Jan-3

Daisy

Good for you for throwing out the beer.  Stopping drinking is hard there is just no getting around that, and many of us had many tries before we finally managed it.  But we did, and if we did, you can too.  You just have to keep plugging away at it.

And learning to deal with stress is a big part of it.  I found that just mindless physical activity seems to help - mowing the yard or just going for a walk.  Lets my mind just wander around and calm down.

So, good luck and keep letting us know how you are doing.

Brian

daisy20111

Jan-3

Thanks Brian...i made it through the whole day and night too. Woohoo!

Next today and the dreaded Friday night too...but it helps to remind myself i threw out that beer yesterday.....theres a reason why for sure. 

So into day two i go...

Oh and btw....yes i agree physical activity super helps. I garden a ton and joined a gym a couple months ago