CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New to Forum   General Sharing

Started Feb-9 by Michaelfc23; 502 views.
In reply toRe: msg 10
Michaelfc23

Feb-12

Thank you Brian and MaryLouise, I started a journal tonight and feel about my first entry. Interesting putting out there what has only been inside my brain forever. I appreciate your support so far and you all are well.

Michael

In reply toRe: msg 11
Michaelfc23

Feb-12

And hope you all are well.

MaryLouise3

Feb-16

How's the weekend going, Michael? I'm well although the southern hemisphere heat is getting me down. A quiet weekend, some work and cooking -- too hot to garden. It seems  a long way off from the old weekends which revolved around drinking or white-knuckling!

All the best

MaryLouise

Michaelfc23

Feb-18

Hi MaryLouise! My weekend was good. Got through without drinking, even though the thoughts were there. I have been getting on the treadmill and doing some workouts to burn out extra anxious energy. I like gardening too, waiting for the weather to warm up to start some early planting. Finding that my biggest obstacle right now with drinking is telling my AS "no" when I get thoughts to drink. Need aomething that will stick.

Michael

MaryLouise3

Feb-19

Hi Michael

Good that the weekend went well. I found at the beginning I needed almost constant vigilance because urges and cravings would pop up all the time -- in the early evenings, before and during weekends, when I was tired or irritable -- but also when I was cheerful and busy. Unpredictable. That in retrospect is why staying close to sober people helped because others weren't going through this kind of inward ordeal and I was encouraged by others who resisted the urges and  helped me do the same. It got easier over time and the desire to drink just faded.

MaryLouise

Michaelfc23

Feb-28

Thank you for your reassuring responses MaryLouise!  This is more difficult than I want it to be! Looking to this weekend with positivity!

Michael

MaryLouise3

Feb-29

Pop in here Michael if you are feeling urges to drink or just finding it hard to keep a certain focus. Building sobriety takes time and we've all been there.

Mary Louise