CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New Member   General Sharing

Started Feb-16 by member1976; 367 views.
member1976

Feb-16

Hello to all, 

I joined up yesterday. I'm an alcoholic. Have been for 20 years. It's been years since I touched drugs but cant seem to kick alcohol. I've been sober for a while now and I am trying to find some forums groups for sharing or some support. I have been a member of an online recovery site for 4 years, which is great and I love it. I'm 43 years old married with one 7 year old daughter. I'm living in France. I'm not 100% sure how this group works or if there are many members but what I have been reading so far certainly hits a chord with me. I suppose my biggest worry is leaving all the complications of life pile up to losing control (family life, work, bills, etc) I have been contemplating taking time out from work so that I can get some real sober time under my belt... 

So hello and thanks for reading. 

John. 

Brian (BrianB125)

Feb-16

Welcome to the group John, good to see you here.  There are no particular rules in the group, so just dive right in.  Reading some of the Journals might be a good way to start,  The basic idea of Life Ring is that we all find our own way of dealing with stopping drinking - but it helps to see what has worked for others.  Keep posting and letting us know how you are doing.

Brian

member1976

Feb-17

Thanks Brian. 

I have been enjoying reading the insights on some threads. 

Have a great day ! 

John

MaryLouise3

Feb-18

Hi John and welcome to LifeRing!

There's also a private mailing list for LifeRing you could join -- let me know if you'd like that as well and I'll give you an email for Craig W.

I have used recovery sites online since I sobered up in 2007 because I don't have  many meetings near my home. Made many friends.

Hope this week is going well --

MaryLouise

Michaelfc23

Feb-18

Hi John. Glad you are here on the forum with us. I am relatively new as well and also 43. I look forward to chatting with you about finding the best in our lives! Are you originally from France?

Michael

Elsie (Elsiek)

Feb-21

Hi John and welcome. 

I haven't got on so well with the AA model of recovery and LifeRing has been an absolute life saver for me- this forum has been my main help to get sober, plus lots and lots of reading. I'm in the UK and there aren't many face to face meetings- I imagine it's the same in France. 

I think I know what you mean about the complications of life, but I think I used to drink as a way of numbing/ blanking out those complications. On my first attempts to get sober I felt like I ought to catch up with all the stuff I'd been avoiding, but it just turned getting sober into a bit of a punishment. It was hard enough without having to do stuff I don't enjoy. So I just did what was urgent and postponed anything I could. So I understand that you feel you might need a break from life's obligations in order to get some good sober time. It's definitely a time to be kind to yourself in any way that helps. If I lived in France I'd definitely be hitting the patisserie (!) once I cut alcohol out I did find I could eat more sweet foods without gaining weight (thank god, still praying I never get diabetes)  I also found doing nice stuff with my kids really helped- they were 12 and 14 at the time I got sober. Even just slobbing on the sofa watching dvds.  

One last thing, is your wife on the same page as you are over this? My husband was very supportive but essentially left me to make decisions about how to approach it, he didn't dictate anything to me and that was really helpful. I got there in my own time. 

All the best, have a good weekend

Elsie ( I'm not really 95, it's just my name derived from my initials, LC)

member1976

Feb-21

Hello MaryLouise, 

Thanks for the message. 

Indeed I am interested in that mailing list. 

This week is going well. Coming to an end. 

Hope you are well, 

John

member1976

Feb-21

Hello Michael, 

Thanks for the message. 

I'm not originally from France. I'm irish, grew up near kilkenny in ireland. I moved to France almost 20 years ago. Madame is french. 

Where abouts are you yourself ? 

Hope you are well, 

John

member1976

Feb-21

Hello Elsie, 

Thanks for the message advice and encouragement. My wife is very supportive. She has suffered alot too. I used to go to meetings here but not anymore. 

I went to rehab at the end of last year because I completely lost control. So I went on a long sick leave and enrolled myself into a rehab place for 5 weeks.

Hope you have a great weekend too. 

John. 

MaryLouise3

Feb-25

Hi John

Here is the url for the mailing list: https://lifering.groups.io/g/LSRsafe

LSRsafe: An email list for those seeking Support, Affirmation, Friendship, and Encouragement (S.A.F.E.). It’s a strong, secure place where we seek to nurture the ‘sober self’ that exists inside us all. This list is lightly moderated in an attempt to discourage disruptive or abusive postings, and personal attacks on members are not tolerated. Step 1: click on the link https://lifering.groups.io/g/lifering-email-groups and then click the "Join Button".  Once you have joined, you will receive an email from Groups.io with subscription options. Step-2: click on this link: https://lifering.groups.io/g/LSRsafe and then click on the "Apply For Membership In This Group" button. Once approved by the moderator, you can send your first email. 

I hope you are able to join up without any problems!

MaryLouise