CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Hello   General Sharing

Started May-24 by SarahJUK; 137 views.
SarahJUK

May-24

Hi I’m Sarah. I’ve just joined here tonight and I’m totally new to life ring. I’ve been clean 2 years 10 months and a member of NA for 4 years. I’ve recently made the decision to leave NA as it isn’t for me any more. I want to maintain my recovery though. I’m hoping I can join you guys. How does this all work if you don’t mind me asking? Thanks for reading. Sarah. 

MaryLouise3

May-25

Hi Sarah and welcome to LifeRing. I'm hoping somebody will post here who has more experience with drug addiction but as a community we share our progress together and offer encouragement. 

MaryLouise

Brian (BrianB125)

May-25

Welcome Sarah,

There aren't many rules here, just talk about what you feel like talking about.  Many of us here have left AA or NA because we didn't feel we fit in well with there more structured approach.  The basic idea of Life Ring is that you find your own path.  We are all here to help you along the way, but we don't suggest there is just one way.  That's what many of us like about Life Ring.

You might want to read some of the Recovery Journals.  They will give you an idea of what many of us have gone through.

Brian

LolaBug

May-26

Welcome, Sarah! I haven't been here long myself, but I can tell you it's a friendly place.

Elsie (Elsiek)

May-26

Hi Sarah and welcome. 

You can use the forum as a journal which members will read and sometimes- usually- respond to. Or just chip in wherever you like in response to anything anyone posts. There are no particular rules and it's just great to have dialogue- even if it can be slow sometimes. One of the reasons I found AA hard was that there was no cross-talk in meetings, and some of the more meaningful discussions happened when people went out for a fag at half time ( always made me laugh, but as a now non-smoker I wasn't quite in on it!) 

Regarding drugs as opposed to alcohol,  I think the point is that the same issues obtain to both addictions, and to cross-addictions. I remember when I was trying to quit smoking I told myself I could drink as much alcohol as I liked so long as I didn't smoke, yes it worked but I finally wound up with a drink problem that was even harder to tackle- all I had left was chocolategrinning My own experience of drugs was limited to a few years participation in the rave scene, and having kids put paid to that. 

This is a great forum, got me sober, and six years later I'm still checking in to see how people are and share any wobbles I might have (quite a few with all that chocolate)

You have UK on the end of your name. Is this a geographical clue? I am in the Uk near Leicester. I hope you are coping with lockdown and keeping well. 

Hope to see you here again soon

Elsie ( It's a nickname, I'm not 93) xx